•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Optics Problem with new scope?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 November 2003 - 07:42 PM

Not advice, just an innocent question... :D I would never, ever suggest anyone do anything improper! Both neighbors across the street "insist" on keeping the garage lights on at ALL times. Basically ruins my eastern and low southern and northern views.

BTW, agree with the "unscrew the bulb" solution.

#52 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 November 2003 - 10:02 PM

Just some info regarding neighbors, "that live there", and responsible lighting for future reference. I know it helped my observing spot. I know it may not help with this particular situation.

At http://www.darksky.org as they have many very good ways to approach neighbors about responsible lighting. It is amazing what you can do if you just approach, inform, and ask.

#53 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 November 2003 - 08:31 AM

Ive approached my neighbors nicely and at first they comply then..........they forget about it. Since most neighbors arent involved in astronomy they dont remember to turn lites off quickly, sort of a low priority on the evening list of things to remember before nitey-nite. Ive given up hope on my neighbors and I have been known to unscrew a bulb or two now N then with no harm done except to neighbors with dogs that is. Dave

#54 SAL

SAL

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2003 - 09:24 AM

Luckily, the offending floodlights have not been turned back on yet. In my neighborhood, I’ve noticed the worst offenders (in occupied homes) are usually people who keep vehicles in their driveways overnight on a regular basis. They turn multiple outside lights on to discourage the possibility of breaking or entering. A few of my neighbors have become interested in what I’m looking at through the telescope. I take these golden opportunities to let them check it out and actually demonstrate how light pollution ruins the views. Like the old saying goes, "A picture is worth…" :smirk:

Last night was a milestone observing session for me. :jawdrop: (Remember I’m still fairly new to all of this). Seeing conditions were fantastic as temperatures plunged into the upper 20’s. I tried a new section of sky, and was rewarded with my first long term observations of Saturn. I clearly saw cloud patterns and the Cassini division in the rings. Absolutely stunning to these eyes. Then I checked out the constellation Orion for the first time. (I am normally limited to northerly views from my location, but last night more lights were turned out than usual). I was able to find the Orion Nebula and Trapezium quickly. What a sight! Then came the Pleiades. Next I checked out Mars for a while. It has definitely gotten a lot smaller in size since my last serious observations of it, but I was still able to make out one of the polar ice caps. Finally since the Moon was so prominent in the sky, I spent some time enjoying all the various features it offers. I can see how some folks could spend much of their rime just observing the moon in its different phases. All in all a great night. Hope the conditions hold for a few more days over the weekend…

#55 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:21 PM

That's great! Sounds like your new scope is performing well.

I am kicking myself today for not getting out last night. The clouds have rolled in again. :(

Regards,
Stacy

#56 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:02 AM

Ya missed a good night last night Stacy. :shameonyou:
Now we are here in the forum till it rolls past in a few days.

BTW I bought a used Parallelagram Bino mount, It arrived today. figures!:shrug:
Keith

#57 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:21 AM

It was nice tonight here too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics