•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I have Dynamax 8 & 6 owner's manual available!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:34 AM

If you're interested, please email me or give ma shout here. It's nothing great, being mostly scanned images of the pages that were made quite some time ago. I will try to find a place here at CN where I can upload this folder of files (6mb original total size or 1.13mb re-sized). :jump:

#2 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:59 AM

Just a question...did anyone actually think the Dynamax SCTs were good enough to keep? I've used two, and they had a poorer star test than a cheap christmas trash 50mm refractor.

#3 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:42 AM

I have never used one, but I never found a positive review about one, either.

#4 FarrOut

FarrOut

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:11 AM

I'm in the process of restoring one. I've seen a number of great articles about the quality of the optics and am anxious to start using one. See my other posts on this forum. I'd like a copy of the information you have.
Thanks

#5 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:54 AM

I had one in the late 70's. Quickly sold it and bought an 80mm refractor which I still own if that tells you anything. Criterion was in their demise when I bought it. I actually had to get the attorney generals office in my state involved becasue I had sent the required deposit and they didn't deliver almost a year later. What they finally delivered was pretty horrifying. The newtonians they built were very nice however. A friend of my fathers has a 6" and it performs flawlessly to this day.

#6 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:04 AM

Hey, I'll send it on to you.

I sold my old Dynamax 8 earlier this year, finally, after a quarter century! For me, it was a great scope. Amazingly, you WILL find a handful of people who can tell you the optics are not too bad. I'm one of them. I had it checked out against the optics of other scopes from that era and was surprised to find it fairly comparable. Then I had the opportunity to meet up with other DX8 users whose scopes had horrific optics. That was when I first learned of Criterion's quality control issues. I had many a good night with my old DX8. But I stopped missing it as soon as I got my "new" Meade 10" LX200 Classic under dark skies. I have never before been able to literally fill the field of view in a 26mm piece with M42. Sakes alive, I about fell over! And yes, the optics are far superior, not to mention the overall improvement in aperture. :jump:

#7 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:07 AM

FarrOut, I just PM'd you with my address. Send me yours and I'll get the manual out to you.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:34 PM

Greetings,

I'm new to CloudyNights, but a long time astronomy guy, and I just happened to come into possession of a very good condition Dynomax 6" SCT! It was completely out of alignment, but after a few hours last night, it went from "unuseable" to "reasonably good". I figure it's about 70% collimated now, and I'll continue to work it...

HOWEVER, the one thing it was missing was the owners manual! If you would be so kind, I would like to take you up on your offer of a copy of your owners manual - I can handle it in virtually any form you've got (electronic or paper) so let me know what works for you and I can let you know where to send it.

Thanks,

#9 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

Dozer, WELCOME TO CLOUDYNIGHTS!!!

#10 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

So, with all these negative opinions, I guess it would be wrong to point out that there is a 8" Dynamax on E-bay right now! :grin:

Ken.

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

Thanks, Kenny - glad to be here!

Actually, I've been pounding the internet pretty hard the last 24 hrs, and interestingly, the vitriole around Dynamax seems to be almost exclusively aimed at the 8" - the specific references to the 6" are almost all pretty good - and this one, despite the lack of care, seems to be both configurable and have no obvious defects (it DOES have very jeweled motions in the controls); I also know how difficult collimation of an SCT can be (very few folks actually DO it) so I'm not surprised that if a number of these came from the factory out of alignment, there wouldn't be much mercy for them... This one does appear to be in excellent condition, but the last 20% of collimation will, as they say, tell the tale...

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:52 AM

Follow up: I completed the collimation this evening, and this baby is DIFFRACTION LIMITED. It was a difficult collimation, but well worth it (I used a tip from here and consulted the Thierry Legault collimation website for help). I've spent the last few hours splitting binaries and rediscovering the joy of using a well made, small aperture scope.
Remarkable - I was given this scope by a friend who recovered it from the LAND FILL. I suppose "one man's garbage is another man's fully functional SCT!"

#13 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:17 AM

Hey Dozer! Welcome to Cloudynights! I'll email you the user's manual. Sorry I got back to you so late. I was out of town for a few days.

Man you LUCKED OUT with that DX6! I can't believe someone would ditch it in a landfill! Just heartbreaking! They could've donated it to a school or something. What a find! :jump:

I'm glad the collimation yielded good results for you. My old DX8 was a beautiful performer, so I consider myself one of the few lucky people in the Dynamax 8 world.

#14 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:32 AM

Just a question...did anyone actually think the Dynamax SCTs were good enough to keep? I've used two, and they had a poorer star test than a cheap christmas trash 50mm refractor.

Mine has a somewhat poor star test, but 8" of scope is 8" of scope, and the aperture is enough to make me prefer it over my other scopes (one of which is a 6" newtonian with optics beyond my ability to find fault with.) It will split the two doubles of Epsilon Lyrae, slightly messily, when properly cooled and collimated. The benefit of 8" is, of course, not the star splitting ability but the bright images.

#15 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:00 AM

Sounds like a happy ending to the story: one guy gets a 6" scope from the landfill that ends up working, and at the same time, another guy can get him the instruction manual to that scope. Nice!

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:16 PM

"Life is timing, and sometimes it's good."

If you guys are interested, I just posted a picture of the landfill rescue DX6 on the next thread ("6 inch B&L...") - check it out!

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:10 PM

Hi, New to Cloudynights. I have had my Dynamax 8 since 1980 and been using ever since

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:00 AM

Greetings Chuck - welcome aboard!

Couple questions for you:
- have you ever had to collimate your DX8?
- what kind of a mount do you have? Criterion or other?

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:14 PM

I have never had to adjust the scope even some people are amaze at that. It has been a really good scope. Since 1980 I have seen about 25 Mes. objects. Have taken some pics of the moon and daytime objects. I use the golden tripod. I have had a really good time with it. ;)

#20 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:49 AM

And that's what matters!

I am guessing that the Dynamax's quality varied all over the place near the end. If you got a good one, you're good, but those who got bad ones were really unlucky.

#21 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:26 PM

If you're interested, please email me or give ma shout here. It's nothing great, being mostly scanned images of the pages that were made quite some time ago. I will try to find a place here at CN where I can upload this folder of files (6mb original total size or 1.13mb re-sized). :jump:

Any chance you can re-scan this or send out the original size files? I just can't quite read these.

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:46 PM

Hi Everyone, I wont be joining you here anymore because I just sold my Dynamax 8 and bought a Celestron CPC 8 XLT. I am going to miss my scope. :(

#23 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:33 AM

Where'd you sell it, and how much did you get? I'm seriously considering selling mine and moving up to something else, and I'm curious about my prospects.

#24 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:25 PM

Hi, Any chance your copy of the Dynamax 8" owner's manual is still available. I'd sure appreciate a copy, Thank you stugazer

#25 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:38 PM

Hi Mitrovarr,

Count me in, too - if you make any mid res/ high res copies, I'd love a set.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics