•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

120 mm f8.3 Collimation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 RGM

RGM

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:47 PM

I bought just the OTA and recieved no instruction manual. I checked the Skywatcher web site and their link to collimation did not work. I have the collimation eyepiece, but do not know exactly how to use it. I see 2 disks, one green and the other orange. They were not on top of each other, so I assumed the telescope was out of alignment. I adjusted to optics so that the 2 different disks were on top of each other and the dots in the center of each disk were seen as one dot. Did I collimate correctly? Thanks for your help. Bob

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 07:16 AM

Not being familiar with that scope this would be a guess, but I'd say you did it right. That's what I would have done.

How's it look at night?

#3 RGM

RGM

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:03 AM

It has been cloudy for the last week. Looks like things are going to clear up by Thursday. I hope to see an improvement. Bob

#4 Trever

Trever

Gemini

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:40 AM

can you buy these collimation eyepieces for refractors?

Trever

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 02:47 PM

Yep, as long as the two reflections are centered upon one another and appear as one, your scope is properly collimated. At least that's what the Orion manual stated when I collimated my scope.

Just out of curiosity (sorry to barge in on your post Bob), but how will the optics differ in a properly collimated scope to one that isn't?

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:18 PM

ScottI,
If its the focuser out of alignment then everything outside of the center of view will be comas, serious violet chromatic abberations, and you cant focus perfectly, I had one I just fixed that exp. this. Never had a mainlens out just pinched optics so someone else will have to kick in. I would imagine its close to being similar tho to the focuser being out other than pinched optics I imagine. Dave

#7 RGM

RGM

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:27 PM

Trever, My local store just gave me one. It is the one that is suppose to be supplied with all the various "Chinese" refractors being sold under different names. I was happy with my telescope even with it out of alignment. Can't wait to see if it is better. Bob

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:24 PM

This link provides an article which contains a photo of an out of collimation refractor. The same photo shows a collimated one, albeit an apochromat. The same principle applies with each.

http://www.cloudynig...views2/TMB5.htm

What you want to see is "concentric donuts".
I have a 70 mm. refractor which I tested for collimation with a cheshire eyepiece; fortunately it was O.K., because this scope's objective has no means of adjustment.

#9 RGM

RGM

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:30 AM

Starkid, thanks for the link. That is what I saw and what I ended up with. Just can't wait for a clear night to check out the results. Bob

#10 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:56 PM

Could sombody explain the "collimation eyepiece" to me? How does it work? Does it have a lens?

Thanks!

Regards,
Stacy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics