•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hello everyone, New refractor newbie here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Don25

Don25

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:05 PM

Hi everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself, and say this is a very informative site. I finally decided to get back into Astronomy after being involved with it back in my early teens. I'm now a 39 year old guy, with a wife and newborn beautiful daughter. My wife seems very supportive, and has attended a star party with me, and plans to attend another this Friday (Oct. 24th). Anyway after much research, I finally bought a Celestron C6-RGT 6 inch refractor, with goto. I decided that for primarily viewing Planets, and some deep space....that this was the scope for me. So far I am not disappointed, and am having a ball. Please let me know if you have experience with or own a Celestron c6-rgt, and any tips or critcism etc. you have for this scope, and/or praise for it. I welcome all responses; once again hello to all.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:43 PM

Hey Don, welcome to the group!

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:50 PM

I'm beginning to think that that is what I should've bought instead of an LDX55 AR-6.

Welcome to the forum Don.

#4 Don25

Don25

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:58 PM

Thanks SF Kent and Schultze for your responses. Schultze I too looked at the 6 inch Meade when I was looking at the Celestron also,....I have been told that optically the two scopes are pretty darn close, but that the newer 2 inch Celestron mount is quite a bit steadier than the Meade. I don't know if this is true, but that is what I hear. So far I'm very happy with very clear optics and a goto that seems to stay right on track (after you re-align the polar alignment) The views of Mars have been very good, and Saturn has blown me out of the water with it's crisp eye-popping 3d look. Before I ordered the Eyepiece accessory kit and only had 120x (with Barlow and 20mm Plossl) I was still easily able to see Uranus as a blue ball ,very tiny but very distinct as a planet. The Cassini division, and shading of Saturn are easily distinguished, and I have yet to see Jupiter as it is too low in the sky so far for the times I've been observing.....I can't wait to see what Jupiter is going to look like. I read a review somewhere from an experienced astronomer who said that he was impressed with this scope and was actually pushing the magnification to about 425 to 450 with a still pretty good view. I seem to have gotten the same results with the limited time I've had the scope.The only complaints with the scope is that it is Objective end heavy and you need to keep it quite a bit rearward in it's mount for proper balance. Sometimes this has almost resulted in the eyepiece end nearly crashing into one of the tripod legs when viewing near Zenith (luckily I stopped it from slewing before it crashed into a leg) Anyway thanks for your responses, and happy viewing. Feel free to respond.

#5 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 20 October 2003 - 11:47 PM

Hi Don and welcome!

It's raining here and has been cloudy for over three weeks so I'm very bored. So I bought a new AR5-OTA today. :p A guy bought one and just wanted the mount for his APO. So now I can be bored with three scopes! I’ve been looking at that 6” for awhile. :o I have the Celestron mount that you have but mine is non GoTo. Should hold that 5” pretty well? Where are you from? Where is the star party? :question:

I'm beginning to think that that is what I should've bought instead of an LDX55 AR-6.

Schultze, Why do you say that? The optics or the mount?

The 5” looks OK. I’ll pick it up this week sometime. :crazy:

Regards,
Stacy

#6 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:48 AM

Hi Don, and welcome! Sounds like that Celestron is a gamer! Uranus as a blue ball is very cool! :bow:

As far as advice goes.......don't slip a Bino into that OTA unless you have some extra funds around the house. Talk about 3D views......... :grin:

#7 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:53 AM

I just read about your trials with the mount. I hope they get it right for you. I have heard they work pretty well despite your experience. Good luck.

Stacy

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 07:12 AM

The optics are great on the AR-6. I'm very pleased with the views.

Mine was working fine for almost three months and then the RA started acting up so they asked that I send it back for repair. Great I thought.

They sent me a new mount instead of repairing the old one and this one is worse than the first. It's not the mount though, it's the electronics.

The Autostar is utterly lost and doesn't know where it is.

#9 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:09 PM

Welcome to the forum. I have the same setup. I like the 6" refractor a lot. It shows color on bright objects but it's a good deepsky scope. I bought the mount and OTA seperately. The guy I bought the scope from, took the cover and attached some Baader Solar Film to the inside covering the center hole. All you have to do for solar observing is remove the center cover and you have a 114mm aperture system. :cool:

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:33 PM

Don25, Can't ask for anything more than to have your family involved...that is so great! This is a great site and the folks are down-right amazing with what they know...they make us newbs feel right at home!

#11 Don25

Don25

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2003 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for all of your responses. Pretty soon my wife, myself and our 4 month old are going out to the local observatory for tonight's star party. I just saw on the news a blurb about the possibility of this area (latitude 39 North) being able to see the Aurura Borealis tonite because of a big storm on the Sun. This is pretty rare for this far south, so I hope and pray we will see it tonight. I have never personally witnessed an Aurora, and I'm looking forward to it. Again thanks for welcoming a newbie, hope to hear from you.......bye.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics