•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade AR-5 OTA Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 02:13 PM

I have a question on the subject of optics if someone would be nice enough to help. Today I am picking up a new AR-5 I found on Astromart. The owner just wanted the mount and hasn’t used the OTA. I got the OTA, rings, finder, diagonal and 26mm EP for $275. I’m going to use it on my CG-5A mount. I have heard these f/9 tubes have good optics, but this is my first refractor and I have heard a lot of talk about collimation of them.

I am familiar with collimation on newts and scts but how do you collimate a refractor? I hear the AR-5 does not have an adjustable objective cell, so I assume I can only adjust the focuser. Do I need special tools for this? Does anybody have experience with or comments about this particular tube?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Stacy

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 21 October 2003 - 02:22 PM

Hi, Stacy.

I've looked through a couple of those and both were very nice optically and were in good collimation as received. That model seems to produce by far the greatest number of successful LXD55 stories.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:32 PM

Stacy,
Hopefully you will get one like John stated. I have one and yes the optics are really good now that I tweaked it. My focuser was WAY off center, I mean WAY off! You can tell fairly easy tho, first do a star test on a reasonable eve, If all is well ie: pinpoint stars across the FOV , no comet looking stars, and very little false color then dont mess with a good thing. I wasnt so lucky, mine exhibited all these probs at first. I could see the focuser was grossly out of center just by looking thru the mainlens and eyeballing it with the baffles. It pointed to one side. All I had to do was loosen all 3 screws, move it till it was centered, then add washers under the screws so it wouldnt go back on me. PC of cake, I did a startest and it was like a whole different scope, PHEW was an understatement believe me. The mainlens is a different animal as it dosent have any standard adjustments but I doubt it can go anywhere once set in place if its set properly in the first place and dosent get loose in the mounting. Your going to like that scope if its as low in false color as mine is. Dave

#4 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:45 PM

Hey thanks guys!

Sounds pretty good for an OTA costing less than a priemium EP! Hope it's a good one. Now ... about these clouds ...

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 06:31 PM

You're better off without the mount anyway. If the AR-5 is anything like the AR-6, you'll enjoy the view. Very little color on all but the brightest objects and the contrast is excellent. Optically, at least Meade does get something right every now and then.

Do I sound a bit bitter?

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 21 October 2003 - 07:09 PM

Hi, Schultze.

I really hope they get it right for you this time. It's a pretty neat system when it works.

The AR-5's I've seen have noticeably less false color than the AR-6's - they are actually pretty nice telescopes. I still liked the AR-6 better because it looks cooler and because aperture rules! :yay:

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 October 2003 - 07:30 PM

Me too. It's sitting on the front porch waiting for UPS pick-up tomorrow.

It worked great for three months and then the trouble started. It really does work well when it works. There doesn't seem to be any in-between with Autostar. It either works great or not at all. :shrug:

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:53 AM

From what I've read, autostar always seems a little buggy, but there are a number of third party tune-ups to get autostar and Meade mounts working better (makes you wonder why on earth Meade doesn't just carry out decent quality control themselves).

There's a lot of info and help available on www.lxd55.com, www.weasner.com/etx and www.weasner.com/lxd

all great pages for ANYONE with an autostar mount and scope.

Carlos.

#9 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 30 October 2003 - 07:41 AM

There's a lot of info and help available on www.lxd55.com, www.weasner.com/etx and www.weasner.com/lxd

all great pages for ANYONE with an autostar mount and scope.

Carlos.

Hi, Carlos.

Yes, those are all good sites. Another one is:
http://groups.yahoo....XD55telescopes/

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:14 AM

I have been to all of those sites. And although similar problems of the LXD55 mount have been described such as I'm having, there has been no solutions offered except for a cross-country trip to California.

I'm not really sure if it is an encoder problem or Autostar problem or a combination of both.

Mechanically, the mount was fine. Backlash was nearly non-existant, movement was smooth and precise, and the fit and finish was much better than my first mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics