•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cherry Springs Star Party June 18-21 Are ya going?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
298 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

I know it's a bit early, but hey, it's less than 6 months away! CSSP

Jeff

#2 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

Yes, Marge as well. (so I trust you and da-boys to be on your best behavior)

#3 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

Your link has an extra *http\\* in it.

#4 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! It is now fixed..

Jeff

#5 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

:hmmmm: Who, Me? :wron:

Yes, Marge as well. (so I trust you and da-boys to be on your best behavior)

#6 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

I certainly hope to be there! My scope is already packed. Of course my scope now lives in a trailer, so it’s *always* “already packed”. :)

I also hope to get to Cherry Springs for at least one 2 to 4 night observing session earlier in the year. It’s just a great place to observe, even with the new doubling of the nightly use fee to $10/night for 2009.

#7 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

Oh man, this is the same weekend as AOSNY's StarFest in the Catskills.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

#8 Maureen

Maureen

Geek Mom

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

Rob,
It seems to me I remember reading a post from you last year weighing CSSP vs. AOS and you clearly came down on the side of AOS for lots of reasons - especially the much shorter trip. Just thought I'd remind you, in case you forgot. Really enjoyed meeting you last year at AOS and hope you'll be there again. BTW, the "Taj Mahal" will be open again with "Rooms to rent for 50 cents."
Maureen

#9 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

Well, I didn't say it was going to be a tough decision. :p I just really enjoyed myself at the 2007 CSSP when they held it in May, which was the first year of StarFest, so it allowed me to attend both in back to back New Moon cycles. That's the best of both worlds, but word has it that ASH really wants to stay away from moving the CSSP back to May.

I'll probably still shoot out to Cherry Springs in May and then do StarFest this weekend in June. I think the one thing Cherry Springs has over StarFest (at the moment) is a variety of attendees and a variety of equipment. You can meet a lot of new people and see a lot of new and different equipment at Cherry Springs because of its mass appeal, which StarFest does not yet have. For me, I have as much fun during the day chatting with people and seeing the equipment on the observing field as I do enjoying a nice dark sky.

Take care,

#10 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

For me, I have as much fun during the day chatting with people and seeing the equipment on the observing field as I do enjoying a nice dark sky.

That's a big part of the star party experience for me.

#11 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, I liked CSSP in May much better than June. I don't know why they want it in June, the shortest nights of the year! It could be a scheduling issue with the park as well since they have some other "events" as well. But at least in June, it's only a short 3 months (or close) to the much better BFSP in September. Cooler, shorter days, and looonger nights.

Jeff

#12 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, I liked CSSP in May much better than June. I don't know why they want it in June, the shortest nights of the year! It could be a scheduling issue with the park as well since they have some other "events" as well. But at least in June, it's only a short 3 months (or close) to the much better BFSP in September. Cooler, shorter days, and looonger nights.

I suppose the June date is as a result of all of the complaining about the weather over the years. In 2008 there was some rain, with two clear cold nights (if you got there a day early like I did). In 2007, while half the time was clear, the other half was cloudy or rainy, with temps on the clear nights far below freezing. The guys who were on the field the days before the event had to put up with frequent snow squalls. I’ve heard (true?) that in earlier years CSSP was plagued with mostly cloudy weather. However I would prefer May for the longer nights and better access to my favorite area of the sky, the UM/Coma/Virgo galaxies.

#13 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

I made the trip in 2006.It rained three out of four nights.
It is a 6 hour ride from MA. I was towing a trailer. I got
a flat tire before I got to NY. Then my spare chewed up my lug studs but I discovered it before it fell off. After $200 worth of repair we were on the road before sunset with a couple hours of driving still ahead of us. We then drove through the worst thunderstorm I ever saw.We finally arrived
at 11:00pm in the fog. The next day I had to drive 45 miles
to a junkyard to find a spare rim. On the last day we had to
take down my popup in a driving rain.On the trip home we encountered another thunderstorm while trying to make our way through Scranton and lack of signs directing us to I-84
We then decided not to take I-84 through CT due to rush hour traffic. I got on the Taconic Parkway not realizing that you cannot tow anything on it. Needless to say I was pulled over and told to take the next exit.I then had to take secondary roads for 40 miles to get to I-90.I vowed never again to make the trip.I wish it was closer to me and
an interstate highway.
Barry

#14 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

Well, you just can't predict the weather that far in advance. Heck, they can't even correctly predict it 3 days ahead! :lol: Sure, there have been some bad days even in September for BFSP (hurricane season). It's just a chance you have to take. So this year in June, if it rains the whole time, what then? Anyhow, this year in May, new moon is on Sunday the 24th (it's almost June). In June new moon is on Monday the 22nd (almost July). It starts to get pretty hot during the day making it very difficult to get some sleep, and pretty hot to be doing Solar viewing. If it's too hot, I'll stay home. I'd rather have to wear a coat than swelter in the heat any day.

Jeff

#15 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

Half of me is hoping for HOT weather..... :rofl2: :tonofbricks:

#16 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

I better. I was 0 for 3 with star parties last year (registration paid yet!)...

#17 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

The Marge half? :rofl2:

Half of me is hoping for HOT weather..... :rofl2: :tonofbricks:

#18 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

That sort of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Between you and Barry it seems your names ought to be "Lucky Eddie" :help:
Your luck has to change soon! When the weather is right, Cherry Springs is a very good site to be at!

Jeff

I better. I was 0 for 3 with star parties last year (registration paid yet!)...

#19 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

I couldn't make it to last year's CSSP (and considering Al Nagler was there, was really, really wishing I could), and I don't know about this year.

Our company's business has slowed down, and we had to use any unused vacation days for the weeks of Thanskgiving and Christmas. Luckily, I had some left over, but in order to preserve them (in case it happens again), I really can't commit to going there unless I know the week of July 4th won't have a week-long shutdown. All other astronomy purchases have been postponed until the economy turns around, or at least bottoms out.

I did make it to last year's BFSP, and had an absolute blast, so I'm hoping I could make it to this year's CSSP.

Clear Skies,
Phil

#20 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

We hope to see you there Phillip! Maybe the economy will "smooth-out" a bit by then. I'm not holding my breath though.

Jeff

#21 MikeS

MikeS

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

I'm chatting with my kids about going to the Cherry Springs Star Party with me. I would like to set up my big tent next to my F-150 and camp out for a few nights. What kind of facilities do they have at Cherry Springs? What kind of toilets? Are showers available?

My dear teenager is especially concerned about this. :smirk:

#22 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

I'm chatting with my kids about going to the Cherry Springs Star Party with me. I would like to set up my big tent next to my F-150 and camp out for a few nights. What kind of facilities do they have at Cherry Springs? What kind of toilets? Are showers available?

My dear teenager is especially concerned about this. :smirk:

There is drinkable water from spigots on the field, AC power for telescope/imaging equipment only, and at one end of the field, a new flush toilet facility (fairly long walk from the far end). During the star party they will probably also have porta-johns. There will also probably be a limited on-site food vendor. There are no showers. If you want to take a shower you need to drive to Lyman Run State Park which I believe is about a 20 minute one-way trip. So figure 60 to 90 minutes for a ‘shower run’. Bottom line: Cherry Springs is not as primitive as it once was, but it’s no four star hotel. In fact it’s a little rougher than what one would normally expect camping at a State Park. Also, you need to bring your own shade. It can get pretty hot sitting all day out in a sunny field.

#23 MikeS

MikeS

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Perfect. Thanks for the info! Star party folks are a rugged group. :grin:

What about open flames... I understand that campfires are not allowed. How about sterno or gas stoves for making coffee or food in the morning?

#24 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

I can't speak for Cherry Springs but those have always been allowed at any star party I've attended.

#25 tishovlin

tishovlin

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

Oh, the ol' Coleman stoves are practically mandatory equipment. Just don't bring any big Weber gas grills. :p

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics