•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Yet another Orion 80ED find a home....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:10 PM

Ordered it Sunday and it's here today.

Quick daytime impression - optics look good, quality of construction is fair. The dew shield has two *tiny* paint chips on the edge, and (get this) the crayford sometimes *squeaks* when you focus, but does work smoothly. It also appears to hold my heavy eyepeices with a 2" diagonal when pointed at zenith.

It's large for an 80mm scope, as others have reported, it's the same size as the 100mm OTA, so if you are thinking of getting one and need rings...

The dew shield slides off, and it all fits nicely into a stellarvue C5 case - the dew shield fits into one of the "large" holes like it was made for it.

Optically? Well, I can't say a lot because I haven't had it under the stars yet.

There *appears* to be slightly *less* false color than in either my SDF or TV102 (on second thought change "slightly less false color" to "similar amounts of false color"). But there are lots of things things that matter more than false color. It appeared to hold daytime magnification well (up to 150x+), and I'm interested in seeing the star test. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon - rain, rain and more rain in the forecast.

Initial thoughts - optics wise - nice scope for the money. Very nice scope. Fit and finish is decent, but it sure ain't premium. We will see how the optics hold up under the stars.

Tom T.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:13 PM

Can't wait for an anlyisis of the optics. I'd like to know if the optics are consistant in these scopes as lately, I've been trying to decide on a backup scope, with the choices being the Orion 80mm ED or the Stellarvue Nighthawk.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:55 PM

Tom,
I know several people on the forum are looking for a good second scope. Less false color than a TV-102? For less than $500? Amazing!
Warpd

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:23 PM

Me thinks that Tom needs to get it under the stars before he can give it the old one-two. I look forward to that review. There is a lot of extraneous light during the day so CA won't be as obvious (atleast that is what I assume).

#5 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:40 PM

Actually, Tom, CA is usually pretty bad during the day - if it's bright and sunny, which today wasn't all that much. Pick the edge of a sign, a chrome bumper, a while picket fence, powerline, etc... Shows up real nastily.

I typically test on a street sign down the road, a white picket fence, and a couple of other similar targets.

BUT - You are really are right tho - I do need to get it under the stars to really really tell how the lens looks. Even then, it's a lot more easy to pick out the violet than the green (at least for me) and I have no idea what the specs are on the lenses (IE where the correction is supposed to be best.)

IMO - There are a lot of things just as important or moreso than simple CA - again IMO, that's fairly overrated - probably because it's pretty obvious.

Would I still *rather* have a TV76 / TV85 / TMB80 / FS78? You betcha. No question. But then again, I'd love to have a a new travel trailer for the family too. It all depends on where you want to spend your money. Let's see what the answer to that one is later, eh?

Personally, I was *very* tempted by a used pronto for about the same amount of overall money (after you figure diagonal and accessories). It's smaller, comes with a great case (not to be underestimated in a travel scope) and is built like a tank. Plus as per the optics, yah, there's lots of color, but you can be reasonably assured that everything is pretty good.

Tom T.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 October 2003 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for setting me straight, Tom. I hope you get some clear skies soon so we can all hear what your thoughts are. Sure seems to be a lot of interest in that little scope these days!

#7 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 October 2003 - 07:39 AM

On my 80ED (received 2 days ago) I inadvetently noticed that when i turn the focusing knobs, focusing in all the way towards the back of the tube, the knobs will continue to turn despite no more travel being possible. Not having used a "crayford" focuser before; is this normal, if not a problem?

jay

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 October 2003 - 07:44 AM

I don't think so. Crayford focusers use friction-rollers, not gears, so they will slip when you hit the stops. If you were to do that for a very long time I suppose you could wear the roller down, but it should be fine under normal use.
Warpd

#9 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 October 2003 - 02:58 AM

Whew, thats a relief (about the focuser).
Just came in from the cold. Viewed the ol' favorites m31 and m42 with the 80ED.
The contrast is realy nice. With light pollution, m31 showed variable density and an indistinct, but there, dust lane (more of a dust shadow). Both 110 and 32 visible.
M42 was detailed and had a faint green cast. splittings easy. m43 very faint with direct vision.
Aesthetically, really nice. Spent a couple hours looking at the two.

#10 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 October 2003 - 07:19 PM

Oh... thought i'd mention, my 80ED focuser sqeaks at times also.

jay

#11 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2003 - 08:00 AM

Jay,

There is a fix for that, if it bothers you. Very very simple, and takes about 5-10 minutes.

Turn the scope over, and on the bottom of the focuser, you will see the tension adjustment knob. Remove it. Then unscrew the 4 screws holding this plate to the focuser assembly. This plate will then drop out. On the inside of the plate, there is a small mounting block with a piece of teflon attached. You can push this out by inserting something through the hole the tension adjustment knob was in. Now you have the bare plate with the mounting block holder on it. Look at the edges of the mounting block holder. I found that the bevel on my focuser rod/axel (where it gets larger) was rubbing against the metal here. Look for missing paint. You can take a dremel, small file or even a piece of sandpaper and bevel this edge out a bit so it mates with the rod/axel bevel better. It does not take much.

I have to go back and very lightly take a little more off the left side, but the squeak/scrape is almost completely gone, and I may not bother.

If you continue to have rasping / scraping / squeaking, I found I had another point of contact: the focuser rod was touching a piece of scrap / crud in the aluminum holes it projects out through. I wound up sanding this down a bit as well.

Thanks to Bill May who pointed this out to me in the Orion_ED yahoo group.

Tom T.

#12 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 October 2003 - 09:16 AM

thanks for the tip!
jay

#13 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 26 October 2003 - 03:45 PM

Well Steve Landry finally e-mailed. He's heading out-of-town for two more weeks so I guess I'll have to wait even longer to return his ED-80. Drat! ;)

Stacy

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 October 2003 - 05:59 PM

Stacy, I hope your weather is like mine right now...gorgeous and very clear! Get out and compare that ED80 to your new C5...or better yet, send it to me and I'll do a 2 week review...should have a few more days of clear weather!!!

#15 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2003 - 07:24 PM

Well, I can tell you guys where the rain went....

Tom T.

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 October 2003 - 09:06 PM

Send some rain down here. We're burning up...literally.
Warpd

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 October 2003 - 09:10 PM

You guys are always burning up! My boss used to be in Irvine (until we closed the office...now he is based in Taipei, Taiwan). If I still got to make my monthly trip to Irvine I would force you and Tina to put up with me (atleast for one night!)...I miss visiting Irvine... :(

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 October 2003 - 10:57 PM

It looks like I'm getting whatever rain is passing Tom by, the whole 10day looks like a loss. And I finally managed to get the darn thing colimated well too (I think).

I haven't gotten around to turning the sighttube I made into a cheshire, but the accidental discovery that a flashlight shining down the tube made it possible to see the reflection of the provided peephole cap and center the opening in the ring on the primary. A friday startest looked good, but the optics dewed up before I could see much else.

My only concern is that the reflection of the secondary is slightly rotated from a strait front/back orientation. I know it's supposed to be off center, but is the rotation a problem?

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 October 2003 - 10:59 PM

Believe me, it will be raining here soon enough...

#20 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 26 October 2003 - 11:12 PM

We haven't had a lot of rain down here in the last few days, but it's been overcast all weekend. I was looking forward to trying out my new TeleVue Plossls!! @#$%^&* clouds!! :mad:

#21 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2003 - 10:36 PM

Ahh well - will those darn clouds ever go away?

T

Attached Thumbnails

• 16587-ed80.jpg

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:03 PM

^^^ What kind of mount is that btw?

#23 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2003 - 07:57 AM

Telepod / gibralter head on a bogen 3036 with DSC's, eyepiece and computer caddy.

Tom

#24 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 October 2003 - 08:46 PM

Tom,

Not to get off subject but I have a Bogen 3039 3 axis head on a 3058 tripod and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the the head. I would like to make an alt/az
setup for the tripod like yours. What's the scoop on the telepod and how does it attach to the tripod?

Gary

#25 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:26 AM

I have a Bogen 3039 3 axis head on a 3058 tripod and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the the head. Gary

Crank the center-column up, you will see three lock-screws underneath column flange. Back these out a few turns each with narrow flat-tip. Tighten head pan axis adjustment knob, then grasp and unscrew head from column to reveal 3/8-16 male attachment point.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics