•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

minimum aperture to resolve discs of jovian moons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 space junky

space junky

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

I think there might be a thread on this, but I am new here. Please could someone guide me to where this thread might start.
Thanks a lot.

#2 spaceghost

spaceghost

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

Hi space junky, and welcome to the best astronomy website in the known universe!

I don't know where the thread you're looking for is. I'm sure there's one here somewhere. Last summer I was viewing Jupiter with my 12.5" f/6 Dobsonian and a 7 mm UO ortho, which gave 272x magnification. Best view I've ever had, the seeing was good and I could see whorls all over on Jupiter. To me it looked like the moons were were tiny disks and had different sizes.

#3 spaceghost

spaceghost

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

I forgot something: one good way to search for threads is to use google. Type your search terms and at the end type in "site:cloudynights.com" That tells google to only look on this website. Works pretty good.

#4 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

A good 6 inch scope at 200x mag is sufficent to show differences in the sizes of the moons. However, I've found that seeing plays a big part in your success, as the tiny disks are blurred during slight turbulance. I've yet to see clearly defined disks with my 12".

#5 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:42 AM

Under good seeing, I can easily tell the differences in size between the moons in my 9.25 inch SCT at from 200x to 400x. A good six inch probably would still show the disks of Ganymede and Callisto with ease, while the disks of Io and Europa might require observation at a time when Jupiter is well placed in the sky and closest to the Earth. Clear skies to you.

#6 timokarhula

timokarhula

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

Five years ago, I was able to discern the disc of Ganymedes with a Celestron-5 inch SCT when the moon's apparent diameter was 1.64 arc-seconds. The similarly bright star Chi Leonis was in the same field of view (only 6' from Jupiter) and Ganymedes was clearly larger than Chi. The observation was done with a telescope owned by a Danish guy visiting Värmland Star Party in Sweden in February 2004.

/Timo Karhula

#7 Greg Morrison

Greg Morrison

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

A 5" apochromatic refractor will get you there on nights of excellent seeing. I've seen the moons as discs under these conditions in a 5" Takahashi refractor when Jupiter was at or near opposition.

#8 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

The apparent diameters of the various Galilean moons at mean opposition are as follows:

Io: 1.20 arc seconds
Europa: 1.02 arc seconds
Ganymede: 1.73 arc seconds
Callisto: 1.58 arc seconds

Thus, a 5 inch or larger aperture should be able to resolve the disks of all four moons around opposition. Clear skies to you.

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

Some additional info here

Seeing Jupiter's moons as disks

If I were to write this again today, I might write it a bit differently, but, you'll get the gist of it.

search the Planetary forum on the word disks for much more.

edz

#10 tboss70

tboss70

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Excellent! Thanks for the info Edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics