•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Stellarvue AT1010, Rookie Report

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2003 - 02:20 AM

Delivered late Monday, assembled, but not tested due to pouring rain. Bought the entire basic setup, M4 EQ mount, 25 & 9mm EPs, aluminum tripod, upgraded 2" diagonal, & red dot finder.

Tuesday, rain and clouds all day and night.

Wednesday, had to fly late, but did manage to squeeze in about 45 minutes. Mars was a small, but clear red dot, couldn't see the polar cap.(only 53x) Focuser was smooth and precise with no spring back. With the 25 EP had a very nice look at Aries.

Thursday night got to spend about an hour outside. Found a couple of close stars in Pegasus (I think, I am still learning how to read the charts :grin:) Don't know if they are classified as doubles, but the binocs wouldn't split them. Very precise focus and clean optics. Eq mount operation was smooth & tripod was stable. My main viewing area is on a wooden deck. Vibrations from walking on the deck dampended out well.
Overall, a very nice piece of equipment. Having never had any other scope (not counting a spotting scope) to compare to this one seems to be a very well built.

A couple of nits: The tray that stabilizes the tripod uses screws and wingnuts to attach to the tripod legs, not very convenient to fold the legs and move outside through the door. I am going to install dzus fastners in place of the screws and wingnuts, to allow a quick disconnect feature.
The red dot finder seems a little spindly. On/off switch is badly located and stiff to operate. Works well and aligned quickly however, we'll see how it holds up.

Gonna try and catch the moon Sat morning (maybe too light) and check out the false color (don't have real high power yet)

I am going to Sean's Astronomy shop (very nice store in Battleground, WA. Visit it if you get the chance)this weekend. Gonna tryout a 2x barlow, and a wide view 2" EP. Also a Telrad. I did like the Telrad on a Mak I tried out.

Further updates will follow as I learn.
So far a hearty thumbs up to Stellarvue.:waytogo:

Keith

#2 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 October 2003 - 02:46 PM

You sound happy with your purchase so far, Keith! Hope you continue to enjoy your excellent refractor! I don't see much Stellarvue stuff over here in the UK, in fact have never seen anything made by Stellarvue in the flesh, so am interested in reading reviews and such about them.

Thanks,

;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics