•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1505 replies to this topic

#26 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

Anybody ever done any observing at "Crows Butte"? About 30 to 40 miles south of Kennewick on Highway 14?? Right on the Columbia River, I think its a little campground??

I have never been there, but the campground looks nice, here's the link to the CG website. I'm not familiar with this area of the river valley (is it still a "gorge" at this point) - would being in the valley floor limit our horizons?

Here's a light-pollution view of the area in the pic below.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2860392-Crowes Butte State light pollution.jpg

#27 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

That gives us until almost 2:00 a.m. to view. That works better for me then starting viewing 1:20 a.m.

That was my thought. And I'm often useless after 2AM anyhow.

#28 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

I think my CSC is broken. It's looked like this for the past 3 days. :ranting:

Don't get too excited Tom - you're showing a little blue now.....

#29 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

you're showing a little blue now.....

:whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee:

#30 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Gee, I'd hate to see what "excited" looks like. :foreheadslap:

#31 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

I have never been there, but the campground looks nice, here's the link to the CG website. I'm not familiar with this area of the river valley (is it still a "gorge" at this point) - would being in the valley floor limit our horizons?

Well, that little round grassy circle just to the left looks promising. :grin:

#32 Mark Aguirre

Mark Aguirre

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

You guys got a link to those LP maps like that?

Yea, Crow Butte is down low on the water. I drove past it once and it just looked like a nice place.

#33 Mark Aguirre

Mark Aguirre

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

Maybe I should ask this question instead. Looking for a good place to go take the scope during the spring and summer. Eastern Washington/Oregon preferably. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I saw that Palouse Falls campground, looks pretty nice.

#34 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

you're showing a little blue now.....

OK..OK don't break a hip. You know what all this astro excitement does to your......

Breeeaath.......

Clear skies are coming to the NW....Yippy! :jump:

Rob

#35 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

You guys got a link to those LP maps like that?

Bill can correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like Google Earth job to me. You can download an overlay to Google Earth, then toggle it on and off as the need arises. Find it by doing a google search for something like, "google earth light pollution overlay."

Another way is to go through the Clear Sky Clock website. Find the CSC of interest, then click on the link for light pollution.

I like the Google Earth version better, because you can zoom in and out, while the CSC link is fixed at a very wide scale.

Anyone know anonther?

#36 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

Nope, I pretty much use the CSC version.

#37 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

Yeah Mike you got it right. I have used both versions as you stated and my preference is the same as yours.

Mark, in this case I used the CSC version only because I didn't have the Google Earth version loaded on this pc and it was quicker to use the CSC (both actually use Google Earth so you need to download that first for either to work).

What I did (after downloading Google Earth),
1. go to Clear Sky Chart home page www.cleardarksky.com/csk
2. "Browse" for locations in the State of Washington
3. Choose a location of interest (closest to the site of interest) and follow that link - in this case "Kennewick-Pasco-Richland"
4. In the "Nifty Links" area of the location you've chosen you'll see "light pollution map" and select that link
5. In small print, just above the LP map for the area you have chosen, you see a link labled: "Get this map as a Google Earth image overlay" Click that baby and it'll launch Google Earth with your LP overlay (after following the "open" and "allow" buttons). Shazam!

#38 RS67Man

RS67Man

Tinker King

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

Hi all, I am still here, I have been lurking for a while. I have been busy with my new business, and working the last days at KW. Two more days to go, then it will be time to find a new career. I will try to come to the Goldendale gathering, will depend on what the future holds for me as far as a career/finances and the like.

Walt(still here, still looking up)

#39 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for stopping by. I hope things work out OK for you Walt.

#40 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

Good to hear from you Walt!!

You're a good man. I wish you the best. Please keep in touch.

#41 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

Nice to hear your still around Walt. Hope to see you again at a local star party in the future. :)

#42 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hi all, I am still here, I have been lurking for a while. I have been busy with my new business, and working the last days at KW. Two more days to go, then it will be time to find a new career. I will try to come to the Goldendale gathering, will depend on what the future holds for me as far as a career/finances and the like.

Walt(still here, still looking up)

*New business*... :question: Could that include kites? :jump:

I know things will work themselves out Walt. You've been in our prayers.

If ever you're in my neck of the rain forest...stop by.

Rob

#43 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Anybody ever done any observing at "Crows Butte"? About 30 to 40 miles south of Kennewick on Highway 14?? Right on the Columbia River, I think its a little campground??

our flight test facility is on the Oregon side almost due south of that park. I have driven past the park on 14 but never stopped there. I have spent some time at the flight test area after dark (infrared camera work) and it the skies are pretty danged dark there.

#44 RS67Man

RS67Man

Tinker King

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

*New business*... :question: Could that include kites? :jump:

Yes it does. My kite stakes have been selling, and I am working on a new kite related product that has the potential of real success. I am also negotiating with Revolution Enterprises, a kite manufacturer, about making special kite control handles for the kites they make. I have a new kite club that just formed that I was invited to be a charter officer of. Our home field is Chambers Creek Central Meadow, just north of Steilacoom. We will be holding a fun fly on February 7th there. If you would like to see a brand new park with lots of trails, and see what precision kite flying is all about, stop by and say hi! Members of iQuad, a internationally recognized kite flying team will be there and will put on demonstrations. For more info on the new park check out this linky

The new non-profit kite club website: RevGuild

#45 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:24 AM

Hi, Walt, best wishes and a Happy New Year to you and Mona.

I won't be able to make it to the 2/7 deal, because I'll be helping someone celebrate her 50th b/day at the ocean. *Please* let us know of any other events at your "home field," because another term for "just north of Steilacoom" is "University Place," where we live. :grin:

On another topic, I posed a question in a post here, and I'd value any opinions anyone here might have on my question.

#46 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

Mike - I'd go with the f/4.5. I don't think you'd find a significant difference in use (EP height). You would get the scope sooner and the 4.5 might have slightly less coma.

#47 Mark Aguirre

Mark Aguirre

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hey Mtn Goat. Where abouts is that flight test area? Is that something I would be able (allowed) to drive to and set up shop for a few hours???

#48 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

I'd go with the f/4.5. I don't think you'd find a significant difference in use (EP height). You would get the scope sooner and the 4.5 might have slightly less coma.

And so I've decided, but I haven't mentioned it yet on the other thread or to Eric. As it turns out, the deciding factor is one I didn't even mention on the thread, because it didn't occur to me until later, which is that a higher scope will mean less squatting on my bum left knee to look through the telrad. Scoooooore!

#49 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

:waytogo:

#50 buckaroo

buckaroo

Space Cowboy

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

Is this a CZ mirror?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics