•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dec08 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Winner!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

[b]I am pleased to announce the winner of the December 2008 Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching Contest - dsnope!

Posted Image

Supernova Remnant Sh2-240 in the constellation Taurus. Also called Semeis 147. There is a rapidly pulsating neutron star inside of it that is thought to be the remnant of the star that caused the catastrophe.

One of the dimmest objects in the night sky, this supernova remnant requires long exposures to capture it's wispy filaments. It is over 3 degrees wide, or about the width of 6 full moons. I used a 300mm camera lens to cover that wide field of view. With my best background levels getting within 10 ADU of the dimmest signal, imaging this object led to an education in the minutiae that degrade images. Nearby lights and lower altitude subframes led to slightly higher background levels and tossed frames, imperfect focus and wind gusts caused reduced S/N and FWHM and some more tossed frames. I used the best 9 out of 18 subframes.

STL11000 Camera w/ 6nm Ha filter
Canon 300mm F/4L lens
Mach1GTO Mount
9 x 30 minute exposures
December 28-29, 2008

[/quote]

To all of you who took the time to stop by and vote for your favorite submission - thank you so much! Your participation really makes the contest!

To all the contestants - almost every comment entered in the poll thread this month says it - every one of your submissions is worthy of winning. Congratulations to all of you on a job done very well indeed!

dsnope, congratulations on your win! Please contact me via PM with your t-shirt size and also the address where you want us to send it!

Charlie

#2 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

Congratulations dsnope on your win! Also congrats to zAmboni RBA and marksiebold for making the finals, all your entries deserved to win!
*****John

#3 dsnope

dsnope

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the votes! The entries were all very different styles and all deserved to win.

--Dave

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Dave

Congratulations on winning with your spectacular photograph.

I look forward to seeing your next work,

Mark

#5 Tim A.

Tim A.

Apollo

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

Stunning object. Stunning image. Bravo!

#6 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:08 AM

Dave,

Often in the course of getting into an activity there are signposts to indicate a bright, positive, and active future with said activity. Some epiphany that tells you "this is going to be good". Kind of like the first time you met your wife or husband.

Seeing your photo of Semeis 147 is one of those moments for me.

As a newbie in astronomy I am developing what I want to see and experience and your photo solidified my interest in nebulae and its kin, in this case a supernova remnant. When I saw how big it is (6 moons wide!) I shivered. To think that HUGE thing is hanging out there in the cosmos, along with everything else, is very exciting (and humbling) to me. You may also have changed my mind about imaging, I may have to get into it in order to see for myself these strange and wonderful things in the sky.

I now use your photo as my desktop image for my computer.

Thanks

Tom D./Oddog2

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics