•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jan09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Jan09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Image/Sketch is our Winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

Welcome to the January 2009 Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the userbase to vote on. The monthly winner receives the coveted Cloudy Nights t-shirt! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest..

Please choose your favorite out of all the images. This poll will remain open through February 15th at midnight.

Here are the entries for January!

Beginning Imaging's Finalist - DaemonGPF:

Posted Image

M42 (9 panel mosaic) Taken with Starblast 4.5" scope, DSI II color, no filters, no darks, no flats, no bias. Outer 8 panels are 10x120sec, center panel is 10x120sec, 10x60sec, 10x30sec, 10x15sec, 10x8sec layered together. Processed in Photoshop and Nero Image processing.

DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing's Finalist - RStar:

Posted Image

M78 and Barnards Loop in Orion

Taken over 2 nights 1/24/09 and 1/29/09
Central NJ
TeleVue NP101 at F/4.3
Celestron CGE ST-4 guided
Modified Canon XT and IDAS clip filter
28*480 second 800 iso subs
59*150 second 800 iso subs
Dark/flat/bias calibrated

CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Dean:

Posted Image

Witch Head Nebula - IC 2118

Dean Rowe
Dates:01/19/2009-01/21/2009
Telescope: Takahashi Epsilon 180ED
Mount: AP1200
Camera: STL11000 with Astrodon LRGB filters
Exposure: 555 minutes LRGB 285:90:90:90, 15 minute subs, binned 1x1

Solar System Imaging & Processing's Finalist - siriusc:

Posted Image

Saturn with its moon 'Rhea' - starting a Shadow Transit.
Captured (1/22/09, 9:14UT) from the Chiefland, Florida 'Astronomy Village'.
Meade 10" SCT at F/44, Superwedge, JMI electric focuser, Celestron 2X Ultima barlow plus two extension tubes.
Dewbuster 1amp, homemade (vented) dew shield.
Philips (SPC900NC) webcam, no filters. settings; 5fps, 1/5 sec/exp, gain: 36%, white balance (manual) red: 34%, blue: 19%, brightness: 83%, gamma: 83%, saturation: 91%.
Processing: RegiStax v4, Post Processing: Microsoft Digital Image, stack size: 1,450 frames.

Sketching's Finalist - markseibold:

Posted Image

Moonrise with Saturn - Pastel Sketch on 19" X 25" format-

Tuesday night January 13th in very still air at 33 degrees F, yet poor seeing conditions, I decided to observe the moons spectacular terminator line with my 10.1" f/4.5 Newtonian and render this impressionistic and somewhat accurate pastel of the moons terminator line and as it was low and ‘warmed in color’ by the atmosphere. A 32mm Plossl was used for the general whole moon and a 12mm and 9.7mm for medium close-up details although the bad seeing (5/10 ?)did not allow much magnification.

A spectacular phase it was! I spent about an hour from Jan 13th 11:45 PM PDT till 1 AM Jan 14th roughing in the terminator and other key details, then retreated to indoors with use of a several digital photos I took through the eyepiece with a 9.7mm Plossl for close-up and 32mm for wide field for reference to recheck positions of and fill in the mare and other general surface features.

As Saturn was a few degrees above left of the moon I decided to add it in here, albeit a little out of distance scale from the moon yet showing the poor seeing conditions, I could barely make out Titan to the planets left, it is to accurate scale in apparent size to the live observation of the moon with a 32mm plossl at low power.

The paper was not what I would have preferred, a 19" X 25" Strathmore in rich blue with embossed ridge, my last available sheet. An undesired ridge-line shows through the surface. The moon was sketched at 15 inches diameter with various pastel chalks and mostly kept in the warm golden range of colors due to the appearance of it rising low in the atmosphere. I photographed the pastel image today in daylight for accurate pastel color representation.

Mark

Good Luck to all our finalists!

#2 Dick Lipke

Dick Lipke

Viking 1

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

Markseibold work of art is beautiful and amazing.

#3 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

Man oh man. That's some serious talent, it wasn't an easy decision!

#4 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:57 AM

Well, congratulations to marksiebold - he's our winner! Unfortunately I've run out of time this morning to do the normal announcement, so I'll have to get to it later today.

Charlie

#5 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

Congrats Mark! Nicely done.

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

Mark,

Tremendous job! Congrats.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

Josh and Jay

Thank you. This was not really my best effort. As I mentioned earlier that I used the wrong paper with ridgelines embossed into the surface. I think much of what I did here was accidental although I intended to get the terminator line somewhat accurate from live observation through the telescope. The rest of the image was mere artwork that I could have done when I was in junior high school 40 years ago, had a site like CN existed then and inspired me to the competition of the art; I had a 60mm refractor and recall wanting to sketch from lunar observations then in 1968.

I did not expect this to be my one work that would first win over photography in the monthly contest.

I must thank and commend all the other photography entries as they are also beautiful works and deserving of awards.

Mark

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

Mark,

Congratulations! Super sketch!

Frank :)

#9 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

Congrats, Mark! I voted for your sketch in the earlier round. The colors you chose are very complimentary, the result speaks for itself. You've sparked my interest in giving Astro Painting a try, I think I'll do Titan's surface with a giant Saturn above its horizon. Boy, is this hobby great or what? Take it easy, and good luck with your next work of art, Dan :waytogo:

#10 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Frank and Dan

Dan: I'm glad that my sketch inspired you. Congratulations on your excellent image of Saturn with Rhea transit. That is an amazing photographic image.

Not that I would encourage only the imaginary art from a planets or moons surface but they can be good practice if anything. When you say painting, are you referring to oil painting? That can be quite a commitment as I have done some oil painting in the past but only sketched with pastels so far for the astro images.

I might encourage you to take a look at the many books about Chesley Benoestell's art. Although I did not really refer to books for this work as the lower portion of this work was entirely imaginary yet supposed to be somewhat accurate as to the implied surface scene at the Grimaldi crater. The actual observed image above is what is intended more so for the sketch forum.

Bonestell did many planet and moons surface scenes; ie; Saturn seen from one of its moons surfaces. Some are available in small versions in the web for reference.>

http://www.novaspace...hesley_ltd.html

http://www.bonestell...archives001.htm

http://astrona.blogs...-space-art.html

http://en.wikipedia....esley_Bonestell

Mark

#11 Dean

Dean

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

Congratulations Mark!

#12 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

Dean

Thanks for your commendations. I was treated to a great laugh and the irony as I clicked on your avatar info as the missive sign-off in your lower message. As I awoke this morning hearing the jeering of California legislators screaming [radio broadcast bleeped out] obscenities about their failed economy, I then saw your link to the Agassiz statue at Sanford U and had to digress.

What more can be said? I thought your avatar in the small thumbnail image was a Dobsonian scope wrapped up for the day until upon clicking your link, I learned instead about our shaking planet and the bay areas discovery of old architecture falling due to gravity. A sign of the times!?
:watching:

Thanks again,

Mark
PS: I looked at your web site - All are awesome nebula images! You must have won some awards with those! Your site could turn me away from my art and back to doing photography! :foreheadslap: :question:

#13 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Skylab

• -----

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Love your avatar.

Very interesting story behind it.

#14 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Tom and Beth

I am not sure that there is a story behind my avatar. If you have heard of one, would you share it with me?

The story I am told of recent by another member here is that I made some history by winning with my sketch, the monthly contest against the photography. Is that true? I thought Rich Handy's lunar sketches had won against the photography some time ago.

I'll look forward to hearing from any members about this.

Thanks again,
Mark
My CN Sketch Gallery

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics