•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOTO Spectroscope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bluemeanie

Bluemeanie

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:32 AM

I went to an indoor flea market/ swap meet this mourning with my wife and daughter. We were just about to leave when I spotted another seller way off in the corner that we had missed. When I started to peruse the table, my eye was immediately drawn to this... A Goto Star Spectroscope.
Needless to say, I asked how much the woman wanted for it. When she told me I almost started dancing. I refrained. It also came with an eyepiece adapter and instructions! Anyone know what this thing is worth?

Attached Thumbnails

• 311283-PICT0098 (Small).JPG

#2 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:19 PM

How much did she want for it?

#3 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:34 PM

I wondered how it was used and found this...

http://users.erols.c...es/starspec.htm

Cool tool, Walt. Hope you got a great price for it!

#4 Jim Svetlikov

Jim Svetlikov

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:48 PM

Hi Walt

That is a very nice unit. Edmunds sold one way back for about $400. I don't know the retail price for the Goto but I did see a highest bid of $29 at an auction.

The unit is great but I think your biggest problem is finding a market.

#5 Bluemeanie

Bluemeanie

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:56 PM

Yeah Guys, this was one sold by Edmund. The instructions have Edmund Scientific on them. I did some web searches and the original price was $400.

The lady was an older woman in her 70's maybe. It was her late husbands. She also had some old camera equipment, but nothing caught my eye.

Price paid.. $8.00

#6 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:43 PM

:waytogo: Have fun with it and keep it!

#7 FAB

FAB

Stargeezer

Posted 17 January 2005 - 03:20 PM

I wondered how it was used and found this...

http://users.erols.c...es/starspec.htm

Cool tool, Walt. Hope you got a great price for it!

Good review, but I've got to disagree with one statement:

"The ROS is the first affordable, easy to use, well manufactured and documented instrument that introduces the amateur astronomer, first hand, to stellar spectroscopy."

I bought the spectroscope below from Optica BC, I think they were in Oakland, sometime in the late sixties of the last century (that still sounds weird.) It has a standard 1.25" barrel, adjustable slit, and helical focuser. It's served well these many years. I think I paid around $80.00 for it new.

FAB

Attached Thumbnails

• 313563-DSCF0510.JPG

#8 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:59 PM

Just curious here, what's the purpose of spectroscopes? I'm assuming they let you see the visible spectrum of various stars and such, but the amount of objects (other then stars) that are bright enough must be pretty limited. Plus, wouldnt it get boring after awhile? Obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm kinda speaking out of my *bleep* but I think I need this thing explained to me.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:34 PM

The purpose depends on what you want to accomplish. Such an instrument would be fantastic for students in an introductory astronomy course. Basic spectroscope + cheap digital camera = basic spectrograph for demonstrating stellar spectral types. Of course, if you want to do serious extraction of data you need to work with a higher quality CCD spectrograph. Rigel Systems sells a simple spectroscope designed to fit TeleVue eyepieces. Eventually, I'll get one for use in my classes. I don't think this would be at all boring.

Joe

#10 FAB

FAB

Stargeezer

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

A really professional spectroscope/spectrograph, in conjunction with an adequate telescope, can give the observer a really tremendous amount of information. It can indicate whether an object is approaching or receding, what elements are present in it, what its temperature is. It can indicate if an object is a binary (spectroscopic binaries), relative velocities, properties and composition of gases between the observer and the object being observed, and much more. Frankly an amateur instrument such as mine isn't too sophisticated. Many of the prominent emission and absorption lines are visible in it, and substantial doppler shifts are observable. Things such as detecting spectroscopic binaries are beyond its capabilities (or perhaps those types of observations are beyond mine.) It's lots of fun to use though.
FAB

#11 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:22 PM

See? All that stuff I didnt know, now it seems more interesting. Floie do you think it would be possible for you to take a picture through yours just to give me a sense of what it looks like through one of em?

Thanks

#12 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:41 AM

Bluemeanie

I ran into this posting by accident, while looking for info on this unit. I've got one, bought it from Edmund Scientific back in the seventies. The problem is I lost the instructions on which of the three lenses to use with my 10" F4.8 refl. Is it possible to get some sort of copy of these instructions?

Thanks for your help and clear skies.
Rich (RLTYS)

#13 Bluemeanie

Bluemeanie

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

Sent you a PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics