•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Poll : How Many Binoculars Do You Own?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
274 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll : How Many Binoculars Do You Own? (349 member(s) have cast votes)

How Many Binoculars Do You Own?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#51 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

I have two sets. 10x50 (Bushnell) and 20x80(Celestron). Been thinking about getting 9x63.

#52 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:54 PM

A few:

Zeiss 8x30
Nikon AE 7x35
SARD Mark 43 6x42
B&L 10x42
Ross 7x50
M19 7x56
Zeiss 10x50
Zeiss 10x50W
Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50
Miyauchi Binon 7x50
Bushnell Custom 7x50
Steiner 8x56's
Swift 9x63's
Steiner 20x80's
Celestron 25x100's

Parts for Navy Bigeyes and German Flaks

#53 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:55 PM

let me know if your interested in parting with your 10x80 flaks.... Gatorengineer64@yahoo.com

Thanks

-Mark-

#54 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:54 AM

These are all binoculars I have had during the years, if I have not forgot some...

1. Fully coated bk7 10x50 WA, 12:th birthday gift (1979), my first real binoculars. Still have, but never use it. A memory.

2. Nikon compact 7x20, very sharp but plastic and slippery, I remember I could see more details with them than with the 10x50. (Combination of more stable image and much better sharpness) Sold

3. Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 7x50, Good, but not as sharp as Nikon 7x20. Sold

4. Zeiss Classic monocular 6x20, best optics ever had. Sold, (why?...)

5. Celestron 8x56 Ultima, very sharp but not at edges. Sold

6. Nikon 7x35 Sporting(WA). Too bad optics, (why I didn't send them back at once). Sold

7. Vixen 8x32 Ultima (WA), very sharp but not at edges. Sold together with the Ultima 8x56.

8. Steiner 8x30 Rally, super durable, good sharpness, but almost uncoated, tremendous ghost images and light circles in the field when looking against streetlanterns and other bright objects. Sold

9. Nikon 8x20 Sportstar, sharp but yet not, hard to explain...likely an effect of the lack of phasecoating.

10. Pentax 16x60 PCF WP, good sharpness almost over the entire field, very good contrast. Heavy and unusable for handholding. Sold

11. Bushnell X-wide 5x25, "BIG compact", widest FOV ever had, but sharp only in the middle of the field, the most of the field of view is unsharp, still have

12. Minolta 8x25 D WP XL, good sharpness almost over the entire field, very good contrast. Superior to the Nikon Sportstar in all respects except from FOV, and think they are even slightly superior in the same way to my former Nikon compact 7x20.

12. Oberwerk 11x70, good sharpness over almost the entire field and extreme brightness. Heavy but possible to handhold. Slightly ghost images, and some reflecting rays in the field when looking against bright objects. However not noticable when studying stars and "deep sky" objects. Still have but considering to change to a 15x version...

For a true lover of binoculars, surely the list will soon be increased...

#55 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:59 AM

Missed to write: Nikon 8x20 Sportstar is also sold.

#56 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:07 AM

Ooops! Forgot to list the Swift 8X42 Ultralite (older model) in my Top Ten list, but if I edit the list, I will probably lose the formatting and get one long paragraph, as often happens when I edit my messages (anyone else find that?), so I'll just give it a very honorable mention here. It was my first "serious" birding binocular (I also used it for casual stargazing), and the performance for the price was quite remarkable ($190 new). Hadn't I purchased the Nikon 8X32 SE, it would still be my "stable". Very solid performer, light, very sharp, and easy to hold. I miss it! Waiting for more reviews of the new model.

#57 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:07 AM

Like my telescope collection, I seem to like about a dozen on hand, for various purposes.

My wife would be glad if I would limit my guns in this manner, but, at least I'm satisfied with just five motorcycles in the garage!

#58 orbitaljump

orbitaljump

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:18 AM

Heres my partial list

reposted down the thread

#59 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:59 AM

I suppose it's possible to own too many binoculars, but I haven't reached that point yet. Really, I haven't.

My current stock:

1. Apogee 25x100
2. Celestron (old Japanese) 15x80
3. Celestron Ultima 9x63
4. Celestron Ultima 8x56
5. Adlerblick 10x50
6. Orion Vista 10x50
7. Celestron Ultima 10x50
8. Celestron Ultima 7x50

Looks like I'm impressed with Celestron's Ultima line... ;)

#60 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:03 AM

I'm a wee-bit late in on this thread, but here goes :

1) Celestron Skymaster 25x100
2) Celestron Skymaster 15x70
3) Bushnell Audubon 8x42 (Circa 1990, Japanese made, 8-deg FOV, excellent edge performance)

#3 has the best optics of any of my binoculars, and happens to be my birding binocular.

MikeG

#61 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

Skoro,

NO, It's NOT possible to have too many pairs.:-)) There is always another niche to fill: better optics, wider FOV, smaller, lighter configuration to aspire to....I THINK I had 11 pairs when this thread started a year ago. I ordered 7 more pairs in 2005 and returned 3... I WAS much more selective last year. I am keeping a Russian 6X30 porro with 12.5 deg FOV and a high end 7X26 reverse porro compact for air travel.

Looks like you enjoy binos with 7mm exit pupil and you are building a collection of 10X50s. Have you tried a 12X50 roof prims yet? Many of them are more compact than 50mm porrs prisms and lighter too. I like them for long range terrestrial viewing and they are easier to pack for travel. The down side is higher cost for roof prisms with Phase Coating.

Erik D

#62 richtea

richtea

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:34 AM

Hi

Wow reading this thread has made me feel better about having spent a fair few pounds on some bins
And judging by several of the very interesting replies i am only suffering minor affliction of optics !!

Anyway for the record

1 Praktica 10 x 30 reverse porro bought 3 pairs surprisingly good view for £10 bins much better than bargain roofs still have one pair left other 2 passed to family

2 Carl Zeiss Jenoptem 10 x 50 Multi Coated late model and my absoloute favourite for air shows and aviation viewing Quite heavy but well balanced with wide 7.3 degree fov Very clear and bright but drops in sharpness a little at edges a little
Not waterproof and limited eye relief for eyeglass wearers bought these at bargain £39 a year ago doubt i will sell unless i need to wear eyeglasses

3 Nikon 10 x 42 SE bought as gift by wife about 1 year ago
These are the most precise and to the edge sharp bins i have looked through although the view has to be worked for as eye placement is critical
Only 6 degree fov but its sharp and flat to the limits my recent obsession with 8 x means these are used less
May possibly sell at future point or keep as wife likes them

4 Meade and Bresser 10 x 50 porros (actually around 10 x 40 as internally stopped)
Bresser bought from Lidl
Meade's passed on from in law
Basically astonishing performance for £10 and £15 respectively
Bresser has long close focus but pop up eyecups Meade has rubber cups but closer focus
Both are very sharp indeed bright and clear
Slight yellow cast 6.5 degreee fov and sturdily built
Defeats all laws of commerce

5 Nikon E11 8 x 30
Purchased on hols in Florida
Superb wide angle porro 8.8 degrees with excellent coatings
Light to carry very clear to 80-85% toward edge
Relaxed and surprisingly bright considering aperture
Seductive 8 x viewing

6 Brunton tech lite 8 x 25
Waterproof strongly built roof with 8.2 degree fov
Multi coated though suffers from stray light reflections a little
Great for walking and on the move and very nearly as good as a Zeiss compact roof i looked thru recently will keep as only cost £15 one of the more genuine bargains from ebay

Thats the lot to date but still looking for the elusive mint Swift Audubon Porro model just prior to the 820

Think its a case of once addicted always addicted !!!

Regards
Rich T

#63 CSG

CSG

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

What's in my signiture plus:

70's era MIJ Jason Empire 7x50's
70's era Minolta 6x20's
Pentax 8x25's (IIRC as they're in the glove box of my wife's car)

#64 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:00 PM

I now have nine pairs, of which only three are suitable for astro viewing. And a binoviewer (which only counts partially..). And a binoscope on the way.

Jess Tauber

#65 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

< I now have nine pairs >

Jess , does this mean you now have EIGHTEEN binoculars ?

Kenny ( devilish as ever ) :-)

#66 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

This thread make me feeling good. I am not abnormal when having 4 binoculars...

Patric

#67 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

< This thread make me feeling good. I am not abnormal when having 4 binoculars >

On the contrary Patric , I'm left feeling quite ABNORMAL by virtue of owning less than TEN !

Kenny

#68 Rick

Rick

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

I have 5 pair, already too many I feel, and am seriously thinking of selling my recently acquired Steiners (tempting, since I think I can get 1.5-2x more in Japan than I paid for them in the USA!) simply because their 2.3 degree FOV overlaps what I have with the Borg 101ED refractor. Both are about the same in terms of portability and ease of use and the refractor's greater flexibility gives it the edge.

cheers,
Rick

#69 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

The matter of selection vs collection has been discussed at as well Cloudy days and www.birdforum.net, and when talking about the number of binoculars, I unavoidable think about it.

I have asked myself sometimes: "do I only collect binoculars for fun, or do I really use them?". If I would answer the question; "do I really NEED all of them?" the answer is of course NO. In any way I have consequently during the years sold the binoculars I don't use at all any more. When raising the standard of the arsenal, the demands raises.

For example;
The ER, flat field and the contrast of my Minolta 8x25 makes the Bushnell 5x25 (tremendeous distorsion across the most of FOV and tremendous ghostimages) "bad-looking". The superwide TFOV 12,6 deg and stable image cannot compensate for that. Likely a good 7x35 will soon replace them...

I want to finish this contribution with saying that I don't consider a collecting of binoculars wrong. Some people collect stamps, other collect coins. Why not binoculars? This kind of collecting tends just to be an expensive one; especially if collecting high grade binos...

Happy selection or collection!

Patric

#70 Barry Fernelius

Barry Fernelius

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:33 PM

1. Celestron Ultima 8x56
2. Fujinon 15x70

That's it!

#71 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

No, Kenny, it means I have nine pair, or is it pairs?- or 18 singlets or halves- or if you have a half is that really a quarter? Or should I give no quarter? And lets not even go into whether its binocular or binoculars, as we haven't yet established what a binocule is, though we breathe them all the time (and who is this Lars, anyway- is he somehow related to that Time Being (Dr. Who??) everyone is doing things for?) And haven't we been through this before (it all seems eerily familiar)...?

Obviously we all must be people who can't get enough of changing diopters (which sadly would bring us back to the binocular smells thread)...

Jess Tauber

#72 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:44 PM

I have too many, probably, including one Fujinon, one Carl Zeiss Jena, and five Nikons. A Swift is flying in shortly, too.

#73 rtgarber

rtgarber

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

Steiner 25X80 w/Stellarvue finder
Zeiss/Manfrotto tripod w/SteadyMount

#74 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Erik -

Your post made me feel like I'm NOT pursuing some strange obsession. I like the 10x50s because I find they're the highest magnification that I can hold reasonably steady. I'm afraid 12x for me would be relegated to tripod use, and that's what I have the 15x80 and 25x100 for.

#75 orbitaljump

orbitaljump

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:14 AM

Heres my partial list

Fujinon Polaris 10x70---These get a lot of use...Im sure everyone is familiar with them. Great coatings and build quality. Individual focus. Pleasingly wide apparent FOV. I love em.

Nikon Prostar 7x50---My reference standard. Flat field. Great coatings. Heavy. Individual focus. I dont use these very much. I worship them...just kidding. I love em.

B&L Mil Spec 7x50---Just shy of my reference standard. I think these are actually made by Fujinon and could be M-22s. Great coatings. Heavy. Individual focus. Rubber armored. I use these more than the Prostars. I love em.

KOWA Prominar 7x50---on the way

Bushnell Featherlight II (Custom) 7x50---These are a curiousity. They are well built, over engineered. The eyepiece bridges are huge. Heavy, but not as heavy as the Prostars or B&L Mil Specs. They use magnesium alloy as the chasis and considering the over engineering are quite light. Good optics. Large center focus wheel. Bak 4 prisms. Blue tint coatings on the objectives. The prism housings are "upside down" compared to most porro designs. Nice binocular.

Sears Discoverer 7x50---just got these, looks like someone has been using there shirt tail to clean the eyepieces at the beach for many years, well not quite that bad. Wide angle and Bk7 prisms do not a good match make.

Swift Utlralite 8x42---on the way...model 761

Nikon Sporter 8x36---on the way

B&L Zephyr 9x35---Beautiful American craftsmanship. One of my favorite binos. Lightweight for the time. I love em.

B&L Zephyr 7x35---Ditto...I like the extra power of the 9x though.

KOWA Prominar 7x35---Two thumbs up. I have an emaculate pair. Excellent views. Eye releif a bit on the tightish side. Wide Angle 10 degrees. Very sharp at center of field. Good contrast. I love em.

Sears 7x35---Wide Angle Sears. Pretty good. Poor contrast.

Nikon Sportstar III 8x25---I dont like compacts. I like this one though. Wide FOV aparent and true, 65 degrees and 429' at 1000. Peeping through these compacts is a pleasure. I love em.

Brunton Lite Tech 8x25---Similar stats as the above. The view is OK. I was disappointed in these optics comparing the 2 side by side with the Nikon Sportstars. This could just be an quality control annomally at this price point, though the bright green "Emerald Fire" coatings on the objectives could be a problem. Great construction and hand feel though. Nitrogen purged. Waterproof. 429 ft at 1000 yds. Roof prisms. Rubber armored contoured body. Nice sturdy single hinge barrel bridge. Somewhat stiff focus wheel. I may try to locate another pair because I like the package, features, and construction. See if I can find some better optics, the coatings have me skeptical though.

My collection is ever changing and growing by leaps and bounds. I have a list that Im working on acquiring. Shame on me!

Im a bonafide Fuji fan.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics