•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

electric focuser

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#26 Eddy

Eddy

Apollo

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:57 AM

Now I am thinking about JMI NGF-CM. Does anybody have any experience with NGF-CM installed on Nexstar 8i? :question: Apparently I will need the Ray's Bracket for it. Any other pro or contra?

Hi,
I cannot say anything about the Ray Brackets or about the stability of this system since I have a C8-SGT.
Concerning the installation of the NGF-C, it is not difficult at all. I suppose the N8i is basically the same scope as my C8. A visual back adapter collar threads directly onto the rear cell of the scope in place of the star diagonal or visual back. Than you attaches the 2” focuser drawtube to that adapter collar. You can choose to install the 2” to 1.25” visual accessory adapter if necessary. When finished, you just plug in the variable speed hand control. That’s all to it. Very easy to do and very easy to use…
Cheers,

#27 Flying_Fox

Flying_Fox

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:02 PM

Thank you for the info Eddy! Yes, the OTA in my 8i and your C8-SGT are the same. Would be interesting to see a close-up picture of your focuser setup, if possible.

Nick

#28 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:17 PM

Hi All,

I am researching the electric focusers possibilities too. I have Celestron Nexstar 8i. First I was thinking of the JMI Motorfocus like here but then decided against it, as it does not eliminate the image shift. Now I am thinking about JMI NGF-CM. Does anybody have any experience with NGF-CM installed on Nexstar 8i? :question: Apparently I will need the Ray's Bracket for it. Any other pro or contra?

You won't need Ray's brackets - the kit is complete. The only thing you might want to consider is the longer lightshield tube (Optional on my NGF-S, superceded by the -CM).

#29 Flying_Fox

Flying_Fox

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hi All,

I am researching the electric focusers possibilities too. I have Celestron Nexstar 8i. First I was thinking of the JMI Motorfocus like here but then decided against it, as it does not eliminate the image shift. Now I am thinking about JMI NGF-CM. Does anybody have any experience with NGF-CM installed on Nexstar 8i? :question: Apparently I will need the Ray's Bracket for it. Any other pro or contra?

You won't need Ray's brackets - the kit is complete. The only thing you might want to consider is the longer lightshield tube (Optional on my NGF-S, superceded by the -CM).

But with the focuser added the whole assembly will not clear the base, also adding the focuser changes the balance of the scope/mount in Nexstar 8i, right? That's why I think that Ray's Bracket is necessary.

#30 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:47 PM

Oops - I was thinking of something different (if I were actually thinking at all :foreheadslap:)...Ray's brackets look like they'd help with the balance and clearance, so would be a good investment.

#31 Eddy

Eddy

Apollo

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:55 AM

Hi Nick,
Just tried to upload a photo, but it did not work out very well. The file was too big and when I saw the picture, the contrast was not that good. So I deleted it again.
Sorry,

#32 Flying_Fox

Flying_Fox

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

Hi Eddy,

That's OK, thanks for trying!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics