•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Solar filter for binocs??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:54 PM

Just wondering if there is such a thing as solar filters for binoculars? Is it even a safe practice??

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:59 PM

A quick search turned up the following:

Tuthill Scopes
Thousand Oaks Optical

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 29 October 2003 - 04:15 PM

Another option is the Binomite by Coronado. It's a $99 dedicated 10X25 binocular with the filters non-removable.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:09 PM

Post deleted by qdogg290

#5 Charlie Fisher

Charlie Fisher

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:37 PM

Um... Don't do that. I'm sure you are joking Qdogg290, but if anyone out there doesn't realize that, just don't do it.

Also, Baader solar film is relatively inexpensive and easy, and gives a nice solar image. It comes with instructions on how to make safe solar filter cells with the material.

Charlie

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:38 PM

I agree with Charlie. qdogg's post should be edit/deleted before some idiot blinds themself.

#7 Enyo

Enyo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:37 PM

I use a pair of Thousand Oaks on my Fuji 16x70's. Work fine - just need to tilt them a bit to prevent ghosts.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:26 AM

I made a pair of solar filters for my 22x60 binos with the Baader AstroSolar™ Safety Film material. I purchased the film from Astro-physics (www.astro-physics.com). The film comes with instructions but they also have the instructions on their website also. There are two types so you have to tell them what you intend to do with the film.

The filters work great, however, the sun looks white and the sky is ink black as opposed to some glass solar filters that give the sun an orange or gold look.

There are cautionary notes that come with the filter material, such as checking for pinholes and observing tips (never, never point binoculars, or a scope for that matter, at the sun for direct observing without proper filtering).

There was enough Baader AstroSolar Safety Film in the package I purchased (I believe it was the A4 size) for a pair of filters for my 60mm binos with enough left over for my 60mm refractor.

Construction of the filter cells was relatively easy with materials I had here at home. Probably the hardest part is minimizing ripples in the filter material during final assembly. However, the few ripples I have do not effect the final views.

Again, I would CAUTION anyone planning to do direct solar viewing to use APPROVED solar safety filter material or purchase purpose-built solar filters.

Nick

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 December 2003 - 04:15 PM

I realize this is an old post, but I have Thousand Oaks filters made for my 15x70's that blew the binomite's away. Bino's are 5x very unimpressive. Contact Thousand Oaks the filters run about $70 for the pair. :cool:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics