•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar Photo Commentary through Feb 15th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Echo

Echo

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:59 PM

Please post comments on Lunar Photos in this thread.

#2 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:29 AM

Great shots everyone!

David, I know I've said it before, but that is a great shot with the Mare Orientale in it! I've tried a search on the member's gallery for more of your shots, but can't find anything. Will you start one as I am very much looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Charlie, your Sunrise at Clavius is superb! Very dramatic.

#3 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:26 PM

Charlie, your Sunrise at Clavius is superb! Very dramatic.

Thanks! Sometimes you just get lucky, and you're in the right place at the right time - it's your job to avoid blowing the opportunity! As I was processing this shot, I realized I blew a perfect opportunity to do a time lapse of the sun coming up on Clavius! I hope to rectify that at some point in the future, though.

BTW, I really like your (and Paul's) avatar... it's just perfection in my book. I get the sense that you guys were really having a blast when it was taken!

Charlie

#4 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:55 AM

A time lapse on it would be really cool. Good idea, maybe I'll try my hand at something like that too.

Paul and I have alot of things we enjoy doing together, one of them is flying. Usually there is no one else around to take our photo together, so out goes the arm as far as it can reach!

#5 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:07 PM

A time lapse on it would be really cool. Good idea, maybe I'll try my hand at something like that too.

I'd love to see what you come up with - I'll definitely be gunning for it myself at my earliest opportunity!

Paul and I have alot of things we enjoy doing together, one of them is flying. Usually there is no one else around to take our photo together, so out goes the arm as far as it can reach!

It's perfect, just like it is. I get a strong sense about you two (correct or not, it's stiil there) when I see it, and in the end, isn't that what you want to strive for in a photo, even if it's just a snapshot?

Charlie

#6 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:56 AM

Charlie, are you thinking of making an animation of the moon?

I would like to make a whole picture using a series of shots, 15 minutes or so apart over the course of an hour and a half or two hours. Even if it is only 4 photos next to each other, I would be happy. As much as I like photography, I am still finding my feet with photography through a telescope! It's getting there though, and I'm having a fun time. :D

#7 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:28 AM

Charlie, are you thinking of making an animation of the moon?

Ever since I took those shots of the Sun rising over Clavius, I've been interested in doing a time-lapse of at least some of the event. I say "at least some" because it's not certain that I'd have enough night to capture the full illumination of the crater.

I did a similar time-lapse of the lunar eclipse last year, so I have the actual procedure down, even though that didn't really work out because the weather did not cooperate. If you have a high-speed connection and Windows Media Player, you can view the movie I made by clicking here. It would not have been very hard to make this into an animated .gif, but there wasn't much point, considering.

I used my DV camcorder for this, outputting the video from the DVcam via firewire to my laptop. The laptop was running Astrovideo, and capturing one frame every 15 seconds into an .avi file. The final .wmv file was created from the .avi file with Adobe Premiere, although it would have been just as easy to make the sequence into an animated .gif with different software.

I would like to make a whole picture using a series of shots, 15 minutes or so apart over the course of an hour and a half or two hours. Even if it is only 4 photos next to each other, I would be happy. As much as I like photography, I am still finding my feet with photography through a telescope! It's getting there though, and I'm having a fun time. :D

I found it a really fun project, even if it didn't ultimately work out. I'm sure you will, too. If I can help out in any way, don't hesitate to ask.

Charlie

#8 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:34 PM

That's cool! Thanks for the offer of help on this. I bet Paul would be interested too. I have a camcorder, but wouldn't know how to hook it up and it's VHS anyway. We have a webcam, but other than that it's just our Canon PowerShot A40.

What I was thinking of was something like this: May 04 Lunar Eclipse from Nocturnal

I think I could do that. :)

#9 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:59 PM

Ok, that's a great way to capture an eclipse, by the way. Let me make sure I'm understanding what you'd like to do... you're looking to do a shot for each night over a complete libration of the Moon? An animation of what I'm talking about is run between each still on my avatar, but instead of an animation, you would just do the individual shots next to each other in one frame?

If so, you definitely could do that with the Powershot afocally through your ETX, weather permitting of course!

Do you have a way to attach the Powershot to your scope?

Charlie

#10 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:39 PM

Well yes to all of the above. There are two things I would actually like to do.
1. One shot each lunar day to have a complete month's worth
2. And one lunar day with about 4-8 shots along the terminator to compare the movement and views of the shadows over the course of a few hours. I guess there may not be enough difference in that short of a time frame though to make it worth my while, but I would like to try it anyway. In this instance, it would be similar to doing an animation only using still individual shots instead of video. Like I said, if I were to make an animation over that period of time (especially over a month's time) I don't think I have a way to do that.

I hope I'm making sense. :roflmao:

I do have a DigiT adapter, very fiddley but does the job.

#11 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:19 PM

You're making total sense!

I can relate to the ETX being "fiddley" with a camera hanging off of it!

You can use the PowerShot on the full disk of the moon (afocal through a 25 - 32mm plossl should be nearly perfect). Whatever image size you settle on just needs to be reasonably repeatable on each evening, although you will likely need to adjust for size and orientation anyway because of where the Moon will be in the sky on each sucessive day. Take a few shots each evening and use the best one from each night when you assemble the animation.

Depending on the capture software you use, you can either capture a series of short .avi's over a specified period, or you can just tell the capture software to take one frame at a specified interval and create an .avi from that (which is actually easier if the seeing is good, because when it's done, there's less work to make it an animated gif or whatever).

All you need is your webcam, a barlow, and your laptop!

Good luck!

#12 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:46 PM

Thanks, Charlie! We'll see if we can try our hand at it with your directions. You make it sound fairly easy!

#13 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, Charlie! We'll see if we can try our hand at it with your directions. You make it sound fairly easy!

That could be just over simplification... you guys will definitely have a blast trying it out, regardless!

Charlie

#14 Shine

Shine

Ranger 4

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:43 PM

David, I know I've said it before, but that is a great shot with the Mare Orientale in it! I've tried a search on the member's gallery for more of your shots, but can't find anything. Will you start one as I am very much looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Thanks again Erika. Sorry for taking this long to reply...

Believe it or not I am only just starting out lunar imaging with this setup but I am encouraged that my efforts so far have been well received. Very soon I will start a gallery. It didn't seem right doing so with the few pics that I have but hopefully that will change soon :)

Clear skies.
Shine.

#15 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:09 PM

I've got a few pics in the gallery, nothing great at all...almost embarrassing, really! But the way I look at it, if I post them as I learn, then it'll show the progress as time goes by. (That's assuming I'll ever get any better) :grin:

Keep up the great work, Shine! :waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics