•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage scope ads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
394 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

This is a continuation of the previous thread, which is located here :

Previous ad thread

A few reminders :

1) do not post your own ads or the ads of your friends. This is considered sale promotion in the open forums and this is a violation of the CN TOS. Please post such ads in the S&S forum or the CNC.

2) do not post photos from ads unless you have the permission of the person who took the photo. If you must have some reference to the photo in the post, then post a link to the photo, not the photo itself.

3) do not post the entire ad text (or large blocks of it) without permission from the author.

4) try to concentrate on the item for sale and not the seller.

5) Buyer beware - there are some scams floating around, so do your homework before pursuing any ad.

6) CN is in no way responsible for the content of these linked ads.

#2 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

Okay, 72 people have read this first post and no other posts yet? Come on someone, Ahm gettin' itchey. :twitch: Give me some leads! :)

EBay anyone??? :jump: Craigslist??? Astromart??? Next door neighbor??? Anything???

#3 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

New here, after lurking (and thoroughly enjoying) the site for the past few weeks. I'm just getting back into astronomy after many years away...and became the proud owner, last week, of a Coulter Odyssey 8 (circa '87-'89) found on SF bay area craigslist for $75. Seems to be in good shape (even decently collimated) but the mirror is coated with dirt. Trying to decide if I should clean it first or just get re-coated. Views through it seem pretty **** good.

Also, I've been wanting to ask if anyone saw that 1969 blue & white C-8 being offered for free a couple of weeks ago on NYC craigslist? It had been stored for 15 years and fungus (or something) had severely rotted the paint and there appeared to be damage on the corrector plate too. Still, a thing of beauty. No mount, but looked like a 70mm finder. I tried to convince him to ship it to me, but unsurprisingly no luck.

Sorry if this first post is a little OT. Here's a Criterion Dynamax 8-inch on ebay I don't think has been mentioned yet:

http://tiny.cc/KMXKJ

(I'm not the seller)

#4 teast

teast

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hi terrapin and welcome to CN! Might as well try cleaning it first - sometimes that's all they need. If it doesn't help then no harm done and you can have it re-coated. And don't worry about your post being a little OT - you brought it back around with the link to the Criterion Dynamax :). Again, welcome!

-Tom

#5 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

Thanks. Good to be here. I spent the past month pouring over craigslist and ebay looking for a cheap dob and in the process developed quite an interest in classic scopes. Craigslist has really opened up the potential for some amazing finds...wish it was there 20 years ago.

Here's a "classic". A classic toy, anyway:

Operation Skysight
(I'm not the seller.)

Looks fun to play with, but not for $90.

#6 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

Woah, it's got an English eq mount too!

#7 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:32 AM

New here, after lurking (and thoroughly enjoying) the site for the past few weeks. I'm just getting back into astronomy after many years away...and became the proud owner, last week, of a Coulter Odyssey 8 (circa '87-'89) found on SF bay area craigslist for $75. Seems to be in good shape (even decently collimated) but the mirror is coated with dirt. Trying to decide if I should clean it first or just get re-coated. Views through it seem pretty **** good.

Also, I've been wanting to ask if anyone saw that 1969 blue & white C-8 being offered for free a couple of weeks ago on NYC craigslist? It had been stored for 15 years and fungus (or something) had severely rotted the paint and there appeared to be damage on the corrector plate too. Still, a thing of beauty. No mount, but looked like a 70mm finder. I tried to convince him to ship it to me, but unsurprisingly no luck.

Sorry if this first post is a little OT. Here's a Criterion Dynamax 8-inch on ebay I don't think has been mentioned yet:

(I'm not the seller)

Thanks for the link!

I also would try to clean the mirror. Just take your time and use VERY light pressure. If there are dirt particles on it, just try to soak them off. If you can get the mirror off, I often clean optics and diagonal parts in Dawn dishwashing detergent in the sink (like doing dishes :) )

#8 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:47 AM

(I'm not the seller)

Don't feel bad. I was the first to contact him half hour after he listed it. I tried everything. He had his heart set on giving it to a science teacher.

Glad you decided to join us here at CN. You may want to try cleaning that mirror first and see what you have under there. Congrats on the scope.

#9 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

here is a ebay AU. telescope.
box says broadhurst clarkston and co.
looks nice.
dont know if its real or not
looks like scope is mounted backwards.
3" scope.
link
brian

#10 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

Towa Classic 80mm Refractor model 339 on the 'bay. I have no idea what these are worth. it aint mine, and I'm not listing it. It is however about 1 mile from my house...

#11 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

While browsing the advertisements for the Detroit, Michigan Craigslist, I happened to notice a listing for a vintage Unitron #114 2.4-inch F/15 alt-azimuth refractor telescope. There are four photographs of the seller's Unitron telescope. The ad was posted on March 15th, 2009, and the link to the website is:

http://detroit.craig...1076469493.html
(I am not the seller of the telescope.)

A guess as to the age of this collectable would be the 1960s or early '70s. Any other opinions on its year of manufacture?

#12 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

A vintage 60mm equatorial refractor telescope (probably Sears) on the San Diego, Calif. Craigslist. The ad was posted on March 14th, 2009, and the link to the website is:

http://sandiego.crai...1074642464.html

Nifty viewfinder brackets! This style is found on some of Royal Astro's better refractors.

Comments? Is this in fact a classic Sears, Roebuck & Co. achromatic refractor?

#13 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

While browsing the advertisements for the Denver Craigslist, I happened to notice a listing for a Vixen (d=102mm f=1000mm) optical tube assembly. The ad was posted on March 11th, 2009, and the link to the website is:

http://denver.craigs...1070858403.html

Is this model still being marketed by Orion Telescopes and other companies, or is it now out of production? Is the telescope featured in the Craigslist ad an achromatic or apochromatic refractor? How can one tell the difference between the two optical types if you cannot see the label?

#14 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

A vintage Questar 3.5-inch Maksutov-Cassegrain with leather storage case on the Miami, Florida Craigslist (posted March 15th, 2009):

http://miami.craigsl...1076431421.html

Is this telescope ad real?

#15 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

An interesting use for those wooden tripods that have been discarded in favor of metal pedestals:

http://milwaukee.cra...1072987876.html
(I am not the seller of these items on the Milwaukee Craigslist.)

#16 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

A Coulter Odyssey I 13.1-inch F/4.5 'red' Dobsonian reflector telescope on the Tulsa, Oklahoma Craigslist (posted on March 9th, 2009):

http://tulsa.craigsl...1067192724.html

#17 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

Good price on a 1986 Powerstar C-8 in San Diego.

(I'm not the seller.)

#18 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

An interesting use for those wooden tripods that have been discarded in favor of metal pedestals:

http://milwaukee.cra...1072987876.html
(I am not the seller of these items on the Milwaukee Craigslist.)

Hey Keith Trainsktg or Preston Smith. One of you guys need this lamp!
Bill :roflmao:

#19 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Is this a circa late 1970s/early 80s Meade Research Grade 12.5-inch F/6 optical tube assembly? Or a photograph of a smaller 10-inch F/6 model? Too bad the seller pictured in the image didn't give his height! The interesting advertisement is found on the Inland Empire (of California) Craigslist classifieds. The link for the post is:

http://inlandempire....1074287632.html

I wonder what happened to the polished aluminum heavy-duty equatorial mounting and matching rotating ring system?

#20 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

A large D & G Optical 6-inch F/12 complete equatorial refractor system on the Hawaii Craigslist. The advertisement was posted on March 9th, 2009, and the link to the website is:

http://honolulu.crai...1067779723.html
(I am not the seller of the telescope, but a trip to Hawaii sounds nice.)

Is D & G still making these 6-inch F/12 optical tube assemblies? I had the chance to look through one a few years back at a local star party and was very impressed by the optical quality.

#21 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Is D & G still making these 6-inch F/12 optical tube assemblies? I had the chance to look through one a few years back at a local star party and was very impressed by the optical quality.

According to their website they are.

There's often talk of these over in the refractor section. As a long tube fan, I dream of the day I can afford one.

-Joe

#22 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

This 4.5-inch Edmund newt popped up today on SF bay area craigslist.

(I'm not the seller.)

#23 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

A couple more vintage Edmund telescopes on ebay:

Refractor

Reflector

(I'm not the seller of either telescope.)

#24 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

Yep!......another floor inspector. :smirk: :smirk:

#25 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

According to their website they are.

There's often talk of these over in the refractor section. As a long tube fan, I dream of the day I can afford one.

-Joe

I would't call the Hawaii D&G a classic or "vintage" yet. The 6" f/12 is an awe inspiring scope. It is available from D&G currently and if you happen to be in Hawaii this scope appears to be a great value. I can tell you I wouldn't dream of selling my OTA for 1,500.00. It is a great price depending on condition of course.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics