•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How much counterweight?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:21 AM

I have an 8" LX200 with a 100mm f6 guidescope. I intend to use an autoguider on the guidescope while imaging with a CCD camera on the main scope. The guidescope alone weighs about 6 lbs. How much counterweight should I expect to need? Would the counterweight likely need to be located near the front or rear of the scope? Any suggestions on a good counterweight system that won't break the bank? Thanks in advance for the help! :bow:

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 October 2003 - 05:24 PM

Steve - You may find that shifting the position of the guidescope well forward provides counterbalance for the imager when it is attached. Unless you can come up with an adjustable platform for the guidescope and actually experiment with the weight distribution, and the suitability of the final position, it's going to be hard to predict where it will finally work out the best. If you decide you need a counterweight set, either the Meade or the Losmandy will be satisfactory; I suspect others will have some ideas for homemade solutions on the cheap. Regards - Graham

#3 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Graham,

I've never guided using a guidescope, only an off-axis guider. As a result I've never had much need until now to play around with the balance of the scope. I appreciate your suggestions and welcome any other input. Thanks again!

Steve ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics