•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Computer controled LX ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2003 - 12:59 PM

I am looking for a project for my LX200 for the rain nights.
Has anyone here used software such as Stary night to control there LX with a serial cable?
I have found some diagrams on how to make your own serial cable on the net, and I am wondering how well it works?

This project is slated right after my home dew shield is done.
Thanks in advance
:jump:

These scopes are so much fun.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2003 - 02:18 PM

Kristian - I use Meade's Epoch 2000sk software and their serial cable for LX connection. It works okay. I'll probably appreciate it more when I wish to operate by remote control, doing CCD imaging in the comfort of my den. Sorry, I don't have any experience with other planetarium programs. You may find that a suitable "off-the-shelf" cable is available at a good price without having to customize one. Regards - Graham

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:36 PM

Hi Kristian,

I got my new scope three weeks ago and it has been cloudy ever since! So I have had lots of time to "play" around with things like cables and programs. I made a cable from the posts you'll find and it works great so far... It works with Starry Nights, Deep Sky and Win Star.

Caution
I also built my own power box. By accident, I noticed that when I have one application controlling the scope, and say, start another one and forget the first program is already connected to the scope- the 2.5 amp fuse blows in my power supply. I haven't investigated it in detail and don't plan to.

The com port must not be reserved by the first application. I have made this mistake (repeat mistake) 3 times thinking the issue was related to my electrical work -to know it isn't by chance. The second application does complain that it can't connect to the scope but that's cause the fuse just blew!

I haven't lost a fuse since and stick with one application at a time as a rule. It is supposed to be "partly" cloudy tonight so I hope I can look up for a change.

John

PS: Has anyone else run into this issue with home made cables?

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:55 PM

I wish to operate by remote control, doing CCD imaging in the comfort of my den

Paul, I'm interested in remote control (from the house) as well. I can control my scope via serial cable using SNP 4.5 but want to use a network cable to my observatory (not heated). I'm concerned about cable wrap. I've noticed when I'm with the scope I have to pay attention to how it slews and the cables. I've thought about using a small web cam in the observatory pointed at the scope. Have you given this issue any thought?

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:20 PM

Barry -

I have, of course, thought in general terms about maintaining control of the cords. I have not experimented thoroughly enough to spot possible problems in detail, but I'm sure these will be worked out as they arise. Cord wrap-up is just plain bothersome and inelegant whether you're in the den or standing next to the scope! My aim would be to run cables in such a way that I can be guaranteed not to have difficulties, something that will ultimately be decided by experimentation. Monitoring with a camera might not be a bad idea, if you can adequately see what you need to see. But I would think that, if you spot a problem, you have to go up and fix it. To keep functioning properly, you eventually have to find the permanent fix. You keep fixing until you get a permanent fix, at which point you achieve the above-mentioned guarantee, and you no longer need to monitor. Regards - Graham

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics