•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Arizona Sometime! (formally May 23rd) Star party

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
571 replies to this topic

#26 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Well as of now I plan to be there, I dont see anything that would come up. Seems like a fairly easy place to get to. Are we organizing to get port-o-johns on there?

PORT-O-JOHNS? City slicker. :lol:

#27 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

This will be a primate site - no port-a-johns. I'll leave that option open if this turns into something bigger - but according to Steve, being a smaller site it would be hard to justify. Mingus Mountain might be another matter. In which case we'd want to work with and/or join the local clubs to work the interest.

For now this is just an exploratory intimate get to gether in an ad-hoc sort of way.

#28 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

Just thought Id throw it out there.

Are you planning to come up Jim?

#29 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

Jeff, the info is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :bow:

#30 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

So whos all planning to go to this? I know I am as well as my observing buddy and then maybe another friend plus Rocco is interested so that makes 4 people right there.

#31 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

Me. :jump:

#32 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Are you bringing your C-11 and the Pronto Ron? I need to check out those eyepieces you got.

#33 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

If I am off work, I'll bring my 12.5" Dob and 80 mm apo.

#34 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

Just thought Id throw it out there.

Are you planning to come up Jim?

Nah, three+ hour drive is a bit more than my woosy body wants to absorb. Go ahead and enjoy yourselves. :bow:

#35 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Ill have my 16", 120 achro. and Lunt 60.

#36 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

C11, maybe the Pronto.

#37 stevecoe

stevecoe

Astronomical Tourist

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

I may give it a try. I will be coming back from Utah, a vacation I have been planning for a very long time. Let me see what the tempertures are going to be and I will decide then if I want to go to Cherry Road or stay higher.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

#38 stevecoe

stevecoe

Astronomical Tourist

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:15 AM

I just looked at the link you gave. You are going to want the site known as Cherry II...do not use the site that is gated on the right, keep going to the site that is open on the left. The rancher has had trouble with people leaving the gate open and letting out his cattle and asked us to stop using that site. We have complied.

Make certain that every one understands, please.

Steve Coe

#39 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:34 AM

I've never been up to Cherry Road or Cherry II, is there anyone I could follow up there when the time comes?

#40 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

That should be the south site (news to me, I was only aware of the site south of 169).

Kev; I plan on being there well before dark, I'll try to leave a site at the gate. Push come to shove I might be the gate keeper to make sure the gate is closed. Back in Montana I grew up around gates and gate etiquette - and tricks for closing some gates that are tricky (really just a bunch of barbed wire on cedar posts with a hoop catch).

#41 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

Ron,
I plan to be there before dark as well, I would like to be able to set up my Lunt Solar scope and talk with people before it gets dark.

#42 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

That would be cool.
169 should be easy to find. The gate and turn off will be harder but if you follow the mileage carefully on your odometer you should be OK. Country folks use that a lot more than city folks (more reliable than saying turn left at the second Circle K).

Google maps can be a huge help but I find it very difficult to judge distances with them. Carols access road looked pretty darn short on google maps but in reality it's two miles of twists and turns - almost thought I was lost as I did not think the road was that long.

#43 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Yeah I have no issue with exit 169, its just finding the dirt road turn off.

I tried getting Dennis Young to come down from Sedona with his 28" dob but he is also going to RTMC. Oh well.

#44 stevecoe

stevecoe

Astronomical Tourist

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Ron;

I am litteraly begging you folks not to the use the site going through the gate. The rancher who leases this land has asked us not to use that area. Don't mess it up for SAC.

Here are the directions, just look for the "Cherry 6" sign and turn the opposite way of the arrow.

Take I-17 north for about 70 miles from Phoenix. Take the Cherry Road exit and turn left (west) over the freeway. This is also Hwy. 169. Go west about 5 miles, just beyond mile marker 10. There is a sign which says "Cherry 6", at the sign turn left (south). Note: this is the opposite way that the arrow on the sign points. You will be on a pretty well-maintained dirt road. However, there are some natural speed bumps, so drive slow. The site is located 6/10 of a mile south of the aspahlt hard surface of Cherry Road. The observing field is on the left, it is an open field and one of the few places where the birm will allow you to get off the road.

I just realized I will not be there because I am going to Riverside also.

Have a great time;
Steve Coe

#45 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

Steve... some confusion.
I went to the SAC web site, and these are the directions for the Cherry Road Site:
Take I-17 north to the Cherry Rd exit. Turn west (left) and continue on Cherry Rd for about 5 miles. Turn Left on the dirt road, just past the sign that says Cherry 6. Note you turn in the direction Opposite the arrow on the sign.

The site is 1/2 mile in through a fence on your right.
Please close the gate behind you and make sure it remains closed at all times.

Cherry Rd II is about .8 mile further down the dirt road on the left you will see a large grassy field.

Both descriptions refer to an open field on the left. But I think you are saying to STAY ON THE MAIN DIRT ROAD FOR .6 MILE -- do NOT turn right through the gate.

Please confirm, and it might be a good idea to contact whoever maintains the SAC site, and have them modify the directions, if in fact they are wrong.

Please confirm, and thanks for the alert!

#46 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

Steve, thanks for clarifying, I think we can all safely say that we're a responsible group of people and we don't want to create any problems for SAC. We'll be sure to use the correct site so as not to upset your future use of the area.

So far I do plan on being there on the 23rd, as early as possible, I'd like to make a long day of it.

#47 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

I don't have anything out of the ordinary in the way of telescopes to bring (SkyQuest XT8 Dob, SkyView Pro 6LT, and 15 x 70 Oberwerks & Mirror Mount). But I will bring along my astrometric eyepiece setup if anyone wants to try their hand at measuring Porrima or another likely double. [and the crowd says: BORRRRINGGG :) ] I'll bring along my sketch notebooks too, on the theory that I can arrive well before sundown--I'll also bring several blank templates so that Ron can enjoy an example of what the Horsehead looks like from central Phoenix.

#48 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

I'll plan on bringing the LX200, I'll either do some casual observing or I might tackle some more of the Herschel 400, haven't touched that since 2005.

Jeremy, I'm interested in taking a peek through your 6LT, I've always been fascinated by long reflectors.

#49 rboe

rboe

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

So, if we turn south (left) there will be no gate? Great! At first I was under the impression there were two gates. One to the north that we are to avoid at all costs and one to the south that we are to use.

In any event, thanks for the clarification on the directions. :bow: Take pictures of Riverside for us.

At this point I'm assuming at least the picture on the SAC site is correct even if the directions mention a gate.

Jeremy; have not drawn horseheads for years so this will a challenge indeed. I suspect non-averted but free ranging imagination would be the order of the day.

#50 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

I'm thinking that before the big day, we need to post one final set of directions, just to make sure we're all on the same page. I've got a hand-help GPS that I can use too, just want to be darn sure we don't ruffle any feathers.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics