•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Useful info about secondary mirror alignment

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#426 mikeoday005

mikeoday005

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:54 PM

Thank you Jason for this very interesting and useful thread waytogo.gif

• Jason D, Asbytec and txmnjim like this

#427 gwilson001

gwilson001

Lift Off

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

the link to the animation referenced in the beginning of this post is dead.

#428 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

Fortunately, the animations on posts #3, 4 and 5 still work if you click on the picture (checked with MacOS Safari). 

#429 gwilson001

gwilson001

Lift Off

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:54 AM

I stumbled on to the same procedure Jason D. described quite by accident after suffering through the headaches of learning and understanding collimation (to the limited degree that I do) and I have to say it is the best way for those of us that are not experts in optics to achieve decent collimation.

It was the source of major frustration but I slowly put the pieces together on my own only to find the solution spelled out here - after finally getting my scope collimated to a reasonable degree!  I checked this forum a few years ago and came across all sorts of posts on collimation that were far to technical and confusing for me so I just forged ahead on my own until I had a working process.

Jason's procedure should be placed in a downloadable pdf for people to easily find without having to read through 20 pages - most will bail out before they get to Jason's post would be my guess.  Jason's 6 step process is the easiest for beginners in my opinion.

Collimation can turn normal people into mental patients in no time.

Edited by gwilson001, 29 August 2019 - 01:56 AM.

• Jason D likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics