•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camera Caught In Forks While Slewing Scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2003 - 12:57 AM

I recently discovered the dilemna of getting my flip mirror and camera hung in the fork mount of my LX200 while slewing to an object. This was an expensive mistake. I have since read that you can go to the "Object Library" menu under "Parameters" and then "Lower" and change the default zenith limit setting from 90 degrees to another value (e.g. 80 degrees) in order to prevent this from happening. Have any of you out there had this problem and tried this fix? I don't want to repeat that experience anytime soon! Please let me know if this worked for you. Thanks a lot!

#2 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:07 AM

Sorry to hear that Steve.

I don't know about the Meade units, but the Celestron has this feature. For the most part it will work but I still don't know if you can bank on it. I got a new HC once and the scope went crazy before it finally settled down.

Stacy

#3 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:26 AM

Hello Stacy,

Now that I'm back up and running (one Mother Board later), I'll put the scope through some "dry runs" to see if this method seems to do the trick. Needless to say I'm a little gun shy, and was curious if others had experienced the same problem and how they avoided repeating the same mistake. Thanks for the support!

#4 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 November 2003 - 07:38 AM

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your run in. Yes you can set the slew limits to a different value (80,75...)And indeed the scope will not slew past these imposed stops. But! There is always a but :) It will track past those stops so be careful.

Craig

#5 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2003 - 02:06 PM

Craig,

That's a good point. It's easy to overlook the obvious, and I probably wouldn't have thought about that one. Thanks a lot.

Steve

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:39 AM

Ouch I did that this weekend. Fortunatly I did not burn anything out. As soon as it went click I hit the power switch to turn it off and took the camera off. Re aligned it and went so something else. I guess that I was just lucky.

Sheridan

#7 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:58 AM

You made the right decision. My first inclination was to try using the NSEW keys to pull the camera back out of the fork. A second or two elapsed with no response and then the power panel and keypad went dark. A very bad sign. The second bad sign was when I removed the power panel to check the fuse on the circuit board. The fuse hadn't blown. Talk about a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics