•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Tech vs TeleVue Mount Comparison

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

Astro-Tech vs TeleVue Mount Comparison

#2 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

Paul, thanks for the report. I'm a big fan of altaz mounts for visual observing. It's great to have reports like yours to make informed purchasing decisions.

#3 bdawg6381

bdawg6381

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

I haven't tried the televue mount but I just recieved the AT Voyager last week. I use it with my SV80ED and it is my main grab/go scope. VERY sturdy and the slowmo controls work great. About the comment that it sticks a bit on the manual slewing... in my experience this only happens if your not balanced well and you have to tighten the clutch knobs to prevent vertical drift. One strange thing about the AT mount though... mentioning the clutch knobs above... if your scope is not balanced well the vertical slow motion knob doesnt work in one direction - the direction that is going against the gravity of the over weighted side. This can be fixed by tightening the clutch knob... then the slow motion works... but then your movements are jumpy. The other fix is to just rebalance your scope :).

Hope this wasn't too confusing... regardless I would recommend this mount to anyone.

#4 Far-Out

Far-Out

Ranger 4

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

I also a fan of the AltAZ mounts. Great review. One might consider that the TeleVue Mount and Manfrotto 475 combo costs about $600.00 and the Astro-Tech is now selling for $250.00 At Astronomics. For the budget minded the Voyager may be a much better deal?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics