•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

4.5" Unitron refractor $300???????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:42 AM

Did everybody see this? http://www.astromart...ified_id=327347 :bawling: Always a day late here. This fellow must have got it from an estate sale that didn't know what they had. Then of course he obviously didn't either......sad so sad.....somebody's very happy today!

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:37 AM

You need to reread that, it's a 2.5" (60mm) not a 4.5".

#3 D13x3

D13x3

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:49 PM

You are right. Don't think that Unitron made a 4.5" back then -- but, not sure. I think they made a 3" and maybe a 5" or 6".

I still own my Unitron 2.4" equatorial (manual drive). Got it when I was 16 years old in 1956. Still gives me one of the best images of five telescopes that I now own. Sure wish I could find a motor drive that would fit it now. The 1956 price for the 2.4" EQ was about $225. They also made an Alt/Az mount for the 2.4" and it sold with the OTA for about $125.

It's a treasure.

Regards,

Sam in Austin

#4 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2005 - 04:10 AM

Ahhhh......didn't read the text, I thought 114 seemed perculiar. Reflecter yes, refractor...never seen one that size. Still, pretty good price although I see in the closeups it's a little rough. As long as the optics were still good it would be a worthy project.

#5 LesB

LesB

Soyuz

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:34 PM

They also made an Alt/Az mount for the 2.4" and it sold with the OTA for about $125.

That's the same price I paid for my Unitron 2.4 alt-az in 1972. I think the price I paid for their 4" alt-az was about $400 in 1974. Unitron makes beautiful stuff but they rely too much on old tried and true technology without innovation. Long focal length and quality workmanship eliminates a lot of problems associated with refractors. Their mounts are superb.

But, imagine a flourite or ED Unitron. Unitron tried a folded refractor but how long that went on.

Nostalgia is good business for the seller, bad business for the buyer.

#6 LesB

LesB

Soyuz

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:42 PM

Curious thing about Unitron. I had my 4" out one night at a club outing and a member asked to borrow my Unitron Monochromatic 40mm eyepiece which was 1.25". He had a DOB. When he used the 40mm Unitron EP it cured his coma problems and gave him a flat field! Of course, he wanted to buy it but I refused.

So maybe if you have coma problems on your Newt a 40mm unitron EP may be the solution.

#7 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

I still own my Unitron 2.4" equatorial (manual drive). Got it when I was 16 years old in 1956. Still gives me one of the best images of five telescopes that I now own. Sure wish I could find a motor drive that would fit it now. It's a treasure.

Regards,

Sam in Austin

Sam,

A motor drive unit is available for the Unitron equatorial mounts. While I have the stock units, I will probably order one of these Astronomy-Shoppe units soon. These units have a better profile so viewing high in the west near the zenith is not restricted as it is with the stock unit and the motor shelf getting in the way. Here is a link - http://astronomy-shoppe.com/

Barry Simon, Moderator
UnitronTelescopes Yahoo Group

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics