•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund 4.25" Reflector

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

My school has an old Edmund 4.25 inch f/10 (?) equatorial reflector. I'm thinking about refurbishing it if it is worth while. The mirror is dirty and the focuser is missing some parts. My main concern is ease of collimation with a single vane secondary mirror. I hear it can be a real pain to line up the mirrors. Anyone want to comment on this?

#2 rtomw77

rtomw77

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:01 AM

I had one for my first scope back in the mid sixties. It was a great little scope even though it had the grand name of 4.25" f/10 Palomar Jr.!

Mine had a set screw that let you adjust the length of the stalk holding the secondary-mine was an old prism with the long side silvered and facing the main mirror. You first adjusted the length of the stalk to put the secondary in the center of the tube and pointing down the tube properly. Then tighten the set screw. Then you looked down the focuser tube and reached into the front of the main tube and kept bending the stalk holding the secondary until everything looked centered. Then you collimated the main mirror.

It takes a little time, but it is not very hard. It kept alignment fairly well and rarely needed adjustment. This was a great starter scope for a 15 year old. I have many fond memories of mine.

Tom

#3 Hammerbach

Hammerbach

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:10 AM

I have one of these, too. I've really enjoyed it. See this thread.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:59 AM

I have a 4.25 Palomar Jr. It was my first "real" scope. As a matter of fact I still have it and will soon redo the mirror. It has never seemed too hard to collimate. I would definitely utilize the scope you have, with some good eyepieces you will be pleasantly surprised at the views you will get :)

Roger

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics