•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Want a deal an extremely small UMPC?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

http://www.dynamism.com/viliv.shtml

Pre-sale starts now, and includes extra battery, car kit and leather case.

This is a really neat little machine if you want a very small form factor.

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

Looks like a large Tapwave Zodiac. :poke:

#3 Brian Gibson

Brian Gibson

Vostok 1

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

I'm not sure that this is such a good deal at $600. You can get a decent netbook with XP for half that although it won't have bluetooth and GPS built in but it will have a slightly larger screen. If you need something more portable then I suggest an iPhone or iPod Touch is a better option (with true instant-on) because it has most of these features and fits in your shirt pocket. If battery life is an issue just carry and extra power stick. Just my two cents worth.

BG

#4 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

If you think along those lines, then no - it's probably not for you.

However - I can't put my netbook in my pocket, and an Iphone (or my Nokia 810 or HTC Fuze) won't run real (ie desktop) windows applications.

It's all about form factor.

Considering this form factor for a windows pc ran you at least $1800 in the not too distant past (Look at the Sony Ux), this is an awesome deal - especially when you factor in all the extras (Have you ever looked at the price of a sony battery? :lol:). But I agree people looking for a traditional notebook/netbook may be best served by looking elsewhere. Those people however probably shouldn't be considering a UMPC.

T

#5 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

Fyi - Sale's over. Extra batt, case, car mount and charger no longer included.

#6 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

I'll let you know how I like it when it arrives.

#7 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

Now that's a PDA I could live with... :thewave::thewave::thewave::thewave::thewave:

#8 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

I'll let you know how I like it when it arrives.

You bugger! Can't wait for the report. :)

#9 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

I grabbed one too. Just too good of a deal to turn down.

My main concerns -

It looks a little thick for comfort (I'm used to the N810 at this point).

Heat - my UX got rather warm after an hour or two.

#10 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:25 AM

English drivers located here:

http://www.myviliv.c..._cd=15&a_item=0

#11 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

Tom,
Those are cool!
Sorry I missed that deal.
CS

#12 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

Tom,
Thanks for listing the website for the drivers. I downloaded them and the manual. Now I have something to read while I am waiting for it to ship.

#13 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

Marcus, did you get any other accessories? I went whole hog and got the charging cradle as well as the vga and TV out cables.

#14 bigbeck

bigbeck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

Be sure to pick up one of these red hot devices and have the best summer toy around! That about sums it up for me. :lol:

Don

#15 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

I'm definitely interested in hearing how these work out for y'all. I've been thinking about getting something like this for over a year to use as a hand controller for my Paramount ME. This device looks pretty close to what I want. I wish it used the ion chipset, rather than the rather weak one from intel, but other than that, it seems to have it all.

I expect we'll see more of these types of devices - we are at a turning point here in the PC business.

Anyway, looking forward to reading some reports about this device - it looks like exactly what I want.

#16 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:12 PM

Marcus, did you get any other accessories? I went whole hog and got the charging cradle as well as the vga and TV out cables.

No I didn't order any other goodies yet. But now you've got me thinking, a charging cradle would be nice.

Tom...your costing me money!

#17 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

Tom,
I went back and checked my Sales Order email from Dynamism. Even though it has all the items, prices and shipping it says:
"All orders subject to verification and approval."

I just checked my CC and it has not been charged. Does this mean no S5 for me? :(

I guess I'll call them tomorrow.

#18 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

You've just RUINED me T.. I now need to sell my soul for one of these.. :lol:

#19 groz

groz

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

I bought into the very early umpc form factor, and have an asus r2h here. 800x480 touchscreen display, if memory serves, it's a 40g hd, and it's got 768 meg of ram. It's got the gps, the wifi, yadda yadda, and I have the cables for various external displays etc.

My experience with that one is summed up pretty simply. It's simply amazing how much software _cannot_ be used intelligently without the keyboard, and, the on screen keyboard with touch does NOT cut it. Been there, done that, got that t-shirt. The trackpoint style mouse is really the savior for a lot more software, without it, just cant make it work correctly with the touch screen alone.

Other issues I've run into, gps and wifi in the same box, turns out the wifi transmissions seriously affect the sensetivity of the gps reciever. Dont know if that's a generalized issue, or, if it's unique to this one, but I can say this. The gps (sirfstar chipset) will sit for hours on this one and not get a lock, if the wifi is enabled. Disable the wifi, and, within a couple minutes it'll have a gps lock and good position information.

I have a few programs here, that are specifically written for a touch screen format, Inav is a good example, gps navigation software. That works FABULOUSLY on the r2h (if the wifi is turned off). When I first started fussing with astronomy software, I really thought the r2h would be ideal for use 'at the telescope', especially since it's power input is 'plain old 12V'. In the end, I found there wasn't a lot of astronomy software actually useable without the keyboard for at least _some_ inputs. I think a lot of the issue boils down to, with xp-tablet edition, on screen keyboard entry is cumbersome at best, and impossible a lot of the time.

Since we recently got our netbooks (aspire one), I haven't even looked at the r2h. Granted, it's a much larger form factor than the current generation of umpc, but, even with the larger screen (1024x600 vs 800x480), it's still going to have all the same 'no keyboard' issues. I think I'll wait on trying the umpc form factor again until such time as most/all of the software I want to use on it, comes in a 'touch friendly' edition.

#20 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

Tom,
I went back and checked my Sales Order email from Dynamism. Even though it has all the items, prices and shipping it says:
"All orders subject to verification and approval."

I just checked my CC and it has not been charged. Does this mean no S5 for me? :(

I guess I'll call them tomorrow.

I don't think they charge till they ship. These are pre-orders, and IIRC aren't coming in to Dynamism till the 26th of this month.

My understanding is that if you got an e-mail, you got one at that price. But let me know. ('cause I'll have to check too!)

#21 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

I wish it used the ion chipset,

Me too. But I figure I'll buy another one next year anyway.

T

#22 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

I bought into the very early umpc form factor, and have an asus r2h here. 800x480 touchscreen display, if memory serves, it's a 40g hd, and it's got 768 meg of ram. It's got the gps, the wifi, yadda yadda, and I have the cables for various external displays etc.

My experience with that one is summed up pretty simply. It's simply amazing how much software _cannot_ be used intelligently without the keyboard, and, the on screen keyboard with touch does NOT cut it. Been there, done that, got that t-shirt. The trackpoint style mouse is really the savior for a lot more software, without it, just cant make it work correctly with the touch screen alone.

Other issues I've run into, gps and wifi in the same box, turns out the wifi transmissions seriously affect the sensetivity of the gps reciever. Dont know if that's a generalized issue, or, if it's unique to this one, but I can say this. The gps (sirfstar chipset) will sit for hours on this one and not get a lock, if the wifi is enabled. Disable the wifi, and, within a couple minutes it'll have a gps lock and good position information.

I have a few programs here, that are specifically written for a touch screen format, Inav is a good example, gps navigation software. That works FABULOUSLY on the r2h (if the wifi is turned off). When I first started fussing with astronomy software, I really thought the r2h would be ideal for use 'at the telescope', especially since it's power input is 'plain old 12V'. In the end, I found there wasn't a lot of astronomy software actually useable without the keyboard for at least _some_ inputs. I think a lot of the issue boils down to, with xp-tablet edition, on screen keyboard entry is cumbersome at best, and impossible a lot of the time.

Since we recently got our netbooks (aspire one), I haven't even looked at the r2h. Granted, it's a much larger form factor than the current generation of umpc, but, even with the larger screen (1024x600 vs 800x480), it's still going to have all the same 'no keyboard' issues. I think I'll wait on trying the umpc form factor again until such time as most/all of the software I want to use on it, comes in a 'touch friendly' edition.

My experience is quite different. I bought into this form factor a couple of years back with the Sony UX 180p. The only things I found less than optimal about that are the lack of ram, battery life (weight with extended battery), heat and small HDD. Then I went away from windows (in this form factor) and owned all the nokia Internet Tablets (N770, N800 and N810). I find myself coming back because the size and purported battery life isn't vastly different from the N800 but with XP, far more software options are available.

As a laptop, I agree the netbook form factor as more useable (although the keyboard on the aspire one is too small for me, the Asus 1000 series is better). But for PMP, web browsing, e-mail, e-reader and occasional productivity - I really really like the smaller form factor. And this is a good backup 'puter for traveling/presentations.

I do agree with you on the "touch friendly" software - but there are workarounds for a lot of that if you want to mess with it.

Just goes to show that not every product is for every person. :)

Have you thought about using a bluetooth stowaway keyboard with the R2H? (I've had one of those for years, it's a fantastic keyboard.) Although in your case with the aspire one, I suspect there's no longer a need.

#23 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

No I didn't order any other goodies yet. But now you've got me thinking, a charging cradle would be nice.

Tom...your costing me money!

The only reason I got the TV out cable is that I'm worried if I want it in a year I may not be able to find it! :lol:

#24 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

That cable is good to have if your considering traveling with it, and don't want the hassle of renting movies.. Load up a couple of DVD's converted to AVI and your good to go.. :)

#25 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

I was also thinking movies for the kids on the road. :)

Although I do have a couple loaded on my phone, and that has video out too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics