•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeast Astronomy Forum and Telescope Show 2010

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
373 replies to this topic

#351 Gone caving

Gone caving

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:56 AM

Just the man in Charge.......... Felt great to look the part....

#352 midnite4blues

midnite4blues

Viking 1

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

Great job to all involved! This was my first time to NEAF. My family came along (mostly to see the Meteorite Men) and we all had a great time. Geoff was so nice in person. We were standing by the MM booth when he got there yesterday morning and he started right in, saying hi to the kids and answering questions. And Steve's dramatic entrance was well worth the wait.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3753801-P4180135mod.JPG

#353 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

What a fantastic weekend! Alan, I can't begin to imagine the effort and hard work that goes into organizing and pulling off such an huge event. Congrats on another great year!

I had a blast with the sketching workshop and even though the Sun didn't come out, we were able to practice sketching with images from Greg Piepol followed by real time video footage from Alan Friedman. The children's sketching was also great fun. There was a 5 year old boy that sketched next to me that not only drew all the major planets in our solar system, but worked on sketching them to scale and proper order from the Sun. Then he went on to explain to me how reflectors work and listed off the different types of scopes out there for us to use! Those kids were amazing.

I had a great time during the Interview with Tom. I hope I answered everyone's questions ok and felt I was a bit scatty brained in my attempts to do so. :lol: It was just so awesome to be at NEAF discussing solar and sketching with everyone, two of my favorite topics.

Oh, and as a last bit of advice for those interested in sketching. It helps if you have the proper optics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3753894-IMG_0966-a.jpg

#354 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

Those are so you...... :)

#355 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

We had another great time at NEAF this year, it was great seeing everybody again and meet some for the first time. It was lots of fun chatting with everyone on the CN webcam when I could sneak in there. ;)

Mandy has a great time helping out and now she has 2 NEAF staff shirts - which she wears all the time. :)

Time to plan to attend NEAF 2011!

#356 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

WOW! AMAZING SHOW! Thank you Alan! :grouphug:

#357 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

And here's the man of the hour. Often immitated but never duplicated. It really takes a one of a kind person to build this one of a kind show to what it's become.

We're proud to be able to call you our dear friend!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3754213-IMG_5418 (Medium).JPG

#358 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

I personally would like to thank everyone for everything ...

Alan,
Perhaps it is we that should be thanking you.
I extend my personal thanks to you for a good time.
edz

Rusty,
let's just say ya had to be well conditioned to keep up at the RV/ tailgate.

Mike B,
thanks for everything
remind me never to consider a backpacking trip with you.
Man, you have gear limitation issues.

Di, Erika, Steph,
nice gettin together with ya.

Peter,
good trip. Thank your wife for dinner.
The late drive home was difficult.

T, Greg, Mark, Gary, Scott, Jay, Luke and everyone else
good to see you guys again, a good time was had by all.

Met many CNers, and happy to have met you all.

#359 bsim

bsim

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

The children's sketching was also great fun. There was a 5 year old boy that sketched next to me that not only drew all the major planets in our solar system, but worked on sketching them to scale and proper order from the Sun. Then he went on to explain to me how reflectors work and listed off the different types of scopes out there for us to use! Those kids were amazing.

Hi Erika!

Thank you for spending time with the children. All of them had a great time with your wonderful sketching class. That five-year-old was probably my son, Alexander. He really enjoyed your class and talked about it on the way home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#360 Newfie Ninja

Newfie Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

Wasn't there in person but thanks to Astronomics and Cloudy nights, I was able to see alot of the show and some great interviews. There aren't many hobbies where people are passionate enough to take a whole weekend to broadcast to fellow hobbiests that can't make it to a particular event. Hopefully I will make it to one in the next couple of years.

Thanks to all involved, Great Job!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#361 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

Alan, class act, and AWESOME show as always. Thanks for the lookout and wisdom. :waytogo:

Scott and DI, thanks MUCH!!! Always been there when I needed it most.. For that, I owe you :grouphug:

Rusty, great to see and share a snort or 2 with you.. Hopefully next year it'll be warmer n we can drop the canopy n sit outside.. :waytogo:

Tom, excellent seeing you again.. Awesome work you've done with yourself.. :waytogo: Sorry I had to leave while you were interviewing.. Couldn't put it off any more.

Mike and Mike, thanks for letting us run amok in your booth.. It was a madhouse, but MAN was it fun.. Bringing the same amount as last year? :grin:

Scott, GREAT seeing you again, and Gina, it was VERY nice to meet you. Keep the Beast in line.. :grin:

Pollux, your now a believer. You'll be at every show I'd guess.. :lol: Great meeting you..

Erica, it was great seeing you again.. Missed having you around here. Know what we both forgot about? ;)

Steph, EXCELLENT seeing you again as well. The live cam wouldn't be the same without you.

Jason and Luke, great seeing you guys again, and running into each other most of saturday morning.. :lol: Wheres this? Wheres that? Thought we organised this stuff??? :rofl2:

Shells, thanks for coming.. Lightened the load, as always.. :grouphug: One smart cookie you be.

Can't wait to see everyones pix either.. Hurry UP!!! :grin:

I will say this.. Every year I make the pilgrimage and always leave recharged. This year was no different, and actually better. Cleansed the mind and soul with people who really care.. The friendships I've made over the years can never be replaced, nor would I want to even consider trying.

I thank ALL of you, for all you do.. It's what makes us a family.. This show is like a family reunion for some of us..

Having to leave early Sunday stunk, but I unfortunately had to do what I had to do.

Anxiously awaiting next years go round. Can't come soon enough.

#362 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

I'm a little late chiming in here, got home late yesterday afternoon and found my Internet was out. But like everyone else, I had a wonderful time again at NEAF this year and it was so great to see all my 'old' friends (not in age of course! :grin:) again and to meet some new ones for the first time in person too.

It was a fabulous time working with the webcam for the 3rd year in a row and vaguely helping out in the rest of the booth occasionally (I leave that to the rest of the crew mostly ;)), I really enjoy chatting with all the CN'ers that are able to make it online for the live webcam experience, letting them know what's going on at NEAF.

Can't wait for next year!!

#363 AntarcticDave

AntarcticDave

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

It was good chatting with you Steph. I'm hoping I can make it out in person next year.

#364 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

This year's NEAF was great! more vendors and it Seemed there were more floor telescopes this year. I was almost drooling over them. It was good to see the usual vendor's and then some. I hope everyone who attended NEAF completed their shopping list. :grin:

#365 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone I bumped into at NEAF for being so nice to Gina.
She was really impressed with all of you fine folks! :bow:

She is ready to come back next year. :)

#366 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Administrators

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

I would like to say the same. Mindy just really like hanging out around all of my friends both at the CN/Astronomics booth and those that were just visiting.

She told me we need to make this an annual trip. No complaints here!

#367 Gone caving

Gone caving

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Scott and Gina.

Thanks for the wonderful news... I can always use 3 extra pairs of hands....

All the best to you both...

Alan

:bow: :bow: :bow:

#368 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

Ages 16, 12, and 6 as of the dates set for NEAF 2011.

#369 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:37 PM

Hi Erika!

Thank you for spending time with the children. All of them had a great time with your wonderful sketching class. That five-year-old was probably my son, Alexander. He really enjoyed your class and talked about it on the way home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alexander was great! He wanted to make sure Saturn's rings were drawn accurately. We practiced making a round "ball" and then taking the flat edge of the chalk to draw rings around it. Then we drew smiley faces on the ball for the bands. :grin: I'm glad he enjoyed himself. :) Tell him I said hello, please.

#370 Gone caving

Gone caving

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:15 AM

It would be impossible for Alan to get Grunsfeld :poke:

Hope you like your foot well done... :grin:

Ah yes. 'Open mouth, insert foot'. I am expert in that.:whistle: Hey in five months it will be spring and that means NEAF. Start planning your trip people it's gonna be a great one...... Nice plug, eh Alan? :grin:

Guess What??????? never doubt me. He's Coming.....

:bow:

#371 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

Ugh one day Alan I will make it to NEAF! Id need to save a ton of money though haha.

Kevin

#372 Gone caving

Gone caving

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Kevin,

I expect to see you there....

#373 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

It would be impossible for Alan to get Grunsfeld :poke:

Hope you like your foot well done... :grin:

Ah yes. 'Open mouth, insert foot'. I am expert in that.:whistle: Hey in five months it will be spring and that means NEAF. Start planning your trip people it's gonna be a great one...... Nice plug, eh Alan? :grin:

Guess What??????? never doubt me. He's Coming.....

:bow:

:grin:

Hows that foot tasting??? :smirk:

Alan, let me know when you start the 2011 thread.. I'll pin it for you.. LOL

#374 Gone caving

Gone caving

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

I bet it needs some condiments. :tonofbricks:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics