•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Tools 3 pro...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

Every time I use this software I am more impressed.

begin rave...

The pre compiled object lists coupled with my scope and ep's... view and seeing calcs based on local seeing, air mass delimiters, 3-d object locater view, difficulty rating tied to my OTA's and eps... of all the programs I've been using this is slowly becoming my default, especially for planning a night viewing session. The imaging section works largely the same and gives targets in terms on pixels in my camers... and fov info like extended brightness and extincting mag... ability to annotate and note, generate custom lists, and everthing cross clicks!

...viewing recommendations calculated for that night and that scope, best seeing times and etc...

..and the nights sky bar with sunrise sunset, false dusk and dawn, and chosen target plotted in brightness/seeing /time for night, one click to 3-d sky map...

I am really impressed with this platform - anyone else here using it and finding it pretty amazing?

Just wrapped another nights session with it and wanted to post this rave about how useful and robust this software is. I love it! :waytogo: :bounce: :bow: :bow:

Not I or anyone I know or am related to even remotely has a stake in the product, but if you are looking for something like this - I think you'll be happily AMAZED at it actually really works :) These folks should be congratulated for this software :)

end of rave

#2 Ray4852

Ray4852

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

I have the standard edition. I agree with everything you said.

#3 CarterB

CarterB

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

How good are the printed star maps with ST3? I lean towards analog in the field...

#4 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

I never use my comp in the field because I prefer "analog" and I was a beta tester of ST3 Std and Pro and I use ST3 charts every observing session. You just need to tweak the star settings to your printing tastes. You get everything in one chart, Telrad, Finder and Eyepiece views. Saves paper, but dew loves to eat paper lol

#5 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

How good are the printed star maps with ST3? I lean towards analog in the field...

Among the best in the bidness. Far beyond what you'd expect from a planner, and good enough to leave most "planetarium" programs in the dust.

#6 jedimasterk

jedimasterk

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:28 AM

Except the Sky 6 or X of course.

#7 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

Except the Sky 6 or X of course.

I love TheSky, but SkyTools 3 is right up there with it in terms of the quality of the display. In fact, in some ways ST3 passes it.

IOW, ST3 kicks booty.

:lol:

#8 rsraney

rsraney

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

How does this compare to AstroPlanner 1.x or 2.0?

- Dewclaws

#9 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

How does this compare to AstroPlanner 1.x or 2.0?

- Dewclaws

Both are excellent programs. And both take different paths. If there is one way in which ST3 pulls ahead, it's probably charting; its charting capabilities are awesome.

#10 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

Astroplanner also runs natively on a mac and PC, Skytools runs on a PC or on a mac running windows or some kind of virtual machine.

Uncle Rod is correct in the charting with SkyTools, its just plain awesome!

#11 burb scope

burb scope

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Rod - Are you going to post your SkyTools 3 review here on CN?
I just drooled on my shirt when I read that it has a star catalog of over HALF A BILLION stars.

#12 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

This is the best piece of astronomy software I have every owned. One of the guys in our club was a beta tester for ST3 and then got us a cut rate price on the final product. I did not know anything about it until he contacted me one day and I am sure glad he did. I got the pro version and have been playing with it for about a week now. I am still learning new features everyday and I have not tried to control my scopes with it yet, but I am already convinced this is the only piece of software I need. I was using the sky 6 and astroplanner, but was never really happy with either one. So this was a pleasant surprise being introduce to this piece of software. The only thing that looks like a possible issue is telescope control, the slew command is buried to deep, there needs to be to a way to just right click on a list entry and slew. And maybe there is, it is possible that new commands will appear in the menus when I hook up the scope. I will probably try that out this weekend.

#13 wbrogdo1

wbrogdo1

Mariner 2

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

Mine is on the way!! Just wish it were already here because tonight is supposed to be perfect.

#14 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

Rod - Are you going to post your SkyTools 3 review here on CN?
I just drooled on my shirt when I read that it has a star catalog of over HALF A BILLION stars.

No...for that you have to get the current issue of Sky and Telescope. You can read some of my early impressions of the program on my blog:

http://uncle-rods.bl...w-software.html

#15 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

This is the best piece of astronomy software I have every owned.

Ditto, it's excellent.

The only thing that looks like a possible issue is telescope control, the slew command is buried to deep, there needs to be to a way to just right click on a list entry and slew. And maybe there is, it is possible that new commands will appear in the menus when I hook up the scope. I will probably try that out this weekend.

You can definitely slew to objects by pointing at them with the mouse and right clicking in the real-time list. I've been using it this way for 6 months or so now, and it's great!

#16 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Interesting reading. I have to stare at computers so much for Astro Imaging, I shun them while doing real observing.

I do have Skytools3 Pro but I just print out the broad plan for use scopeside.

#17 davidpitre

davidpitre

Aurora

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

For someone who does no imaging and does not control their telescopes from a computer, does the "Pro " version offer anything ?

#18 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

SkyTools has a Yahoo group. I'm hesitant to answer but I'd say NO.

#19 John_G

John_G

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

I just received my Standard edition in the mail yesterday. I'm liking it. I just printed my first chart and have to say I like the finder and eyepiece on the same sheet. I don't plan on ever using this with a goto. It looks to me like the Standard will give me everything I need and then some.

#20 Ray4852

Ray4852

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

I have the standard edition too. I'm very pleased with it.

#21 John_G

John_G

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Last night, I had my first opportunity to use a chart created from Sky Tools. I really liked it. Having a single 8 1/2 x 11 sheet with all the views I needed made things so much simpler at the telescope than having to use several sheets. The more I use this software, the more I like it.

#22 rsraney

rsraney

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

For my own interest, would it be possible to see an image of your print out? This my be a violation of the software, but I'd love to see what the print outs look like.

#23 JStanley

JStanley

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

Of all the Astronomy software available, SkyTools3 Pro if my favorite. But for a reason no one has mentioned. I do Astrophotography and SkyTools3 is the only planner that I know of that has a CCD Exposure Calculator.

I took the following descriptive text directly off the Skyhound website. It give you some idea of the power of the Calculator.

"Exposure Calculator -- use this tool to make critical calculations and to explore the possibilities. What is the optimum sub-exposure for my current conditions? What is the estimated Signal to Noise Ratio I will obtain for a given exposure? What is the estimated total exposure time needed to reach a specific Signal to Noise Ratio? In what order should I expose when using multiple filters? How much effect is the moon going to have tonight? Should I travel to a dark site? How long can I image a planet before rotational smear blurs the composite image? What is my field of view? How many pixels will a planet cover? What is the optimum separation to use for eyepiece projection?"

Since I started using the SkyTools3 Calculator my Images have vastly improved.

#24 John_G

John_G

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

For my own interest, would it be possible to see an image of your print out? This my be a violation of the software, but I'd love to see what the print outs look like.

Here you go. My chart for M101 in pdf is attached.

Attached Files

#25 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

John (or others who have the std edition), could you give any more details? I don't use go-to or astrophotography so I don't think I need the pro version. But I found it hard to separate the features between the pro and standard when I went to the website so I'm not sure what all is included with the std. :confused:
Sam

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics