•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Tools 3 pro...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#51 thinairart

thinairart

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

My only complaint is that you can't rotate the interactive atlas to correspond with your horizon.

I've ran into that issue as well.. my guess would be the interactive atlas has a fixed orientation to support the DSS images overlays.

#52 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

Just re-visiting this thread - I am still just completely impressed with this software at every level and in every way. Amazed that after more than a year of using it I am still encountering usful information or features as things go along. This for both imaging and visual. Still has my highest recommendation, has saved me time and trouble all over the place.

I never find this necessary anyway given the "naked eye" view. And the scope simulation can be rotated as required. Every once in a while I start thinking of what else I'd like in SkyTools 4, but blamed if I can think of anything. :lol:

#53 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Any program that allows you to rate your optics as "a little dirty" for personalization purposes has to be awesome. :lol:

#54 michael_m

michael_m

Ranger 4

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:09 PM

Anybody have experience with Megastar5 and ST3? How does Megastar5 rate compared to ST3? They are similar in price and from everything I've read about Megastar5 it has many of the same features of ST3, especially like eyepiece, finder and naked eye prints on the same page. So, anybody with experience using both to give a comparison and recommendation?

#55 michael_m

michael_m

Ranger 4

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

My above post questions are still relevent. However, I went back to the ST3 website looking for a little more info. If you have not been there for a while, on March 31, 2011 Greg added some video tutorials via the Service & Support tab. Super cool. Take a look if you are still "scoping" this out and still deciding what you want to buy. So far this looks like a very good piece of work. Still interested in the comparison with Megastar5 though.

#56 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

Anybody have experience with Megastar5 and ST3? How does Megastar5 rate compared to ST3? They are similar in price and from everything I've read about Megastar5 it has many of the same features of ST3, especially like eyepiece, finder and naked eye prints on the same page. So, anybody with experience using both to give a comparison and recommendation?

Megastar 5 is a good program and will always be close to my heart. Unfortunately, the program's author has long since stopped developing it, and it is looking quite long in the tooth. Even if it weren't, a planner like SkyTools is a much more efficient, easier way to work, especially big observing projects.

Head to head? SkyTools 3 Pro has more of everything--more objects, more stars, better looking charts, more charting modes, ASCOM telescope interface. I used to LOVE Megastar, and if Emil were still working on it, it might be different...but...

Not even close...SkyTools all the way. It is the only astronomy program I couldn't live without. :yay:

#57 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

What is required in order to use the mount control (telescope control) feature? Serial port? How does one do this on a windows 7 computer (or must one use a windows xp computer)?

#58 Charlie B

Charlie B

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

What is required in order to use the mount control (telescope control) feature? Serial port? How does one do this on a windows 7 computer (or must one use a windows xp computer)?

It depends on your mount. For my CGEM, I use a USB-to-serial converter. For the G11, I use an ethernet cable. As long as you have an ascom compatible mount, Sky Tools can control it.

Charlie B

#59 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

It depends on your mount. For my CGEM, I use a USB-to-serial converter. For the G11, I use an ethernet cable. As long as you have an ascom compatible mount, Sky Tools can control it.

Charlie B

Thanks! I will be using an AP1600GTO which is ascom controllable. Their normal input is a serial port but computers these days often make that difficult to find (although older ones have them). USB to serial is always a possibility, I suppose.

#60 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

A USB to serial cable is what many people are using and will work just fine...

#61 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thanks! Figured that was the preferred option.

#62 MAURITS

MAURITS

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

SkyTools 3, the BEST ever...... :bow:

#63 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have been playing with it this morning, setting it up and such and have to say it is indeed exceptional. Highly recommended.

#64 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Well after setting up my telescopes and eyepieces, putting in my location, sky quality, etc, I decided to do some "what if" scenarios with various scope upgrades or additions to see how the observing list changes with regard to visibility/difficulty, etc. While I am sure the software was not designed with this capability in mind (or maybe it was), it sure is handy. Fun software.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics