•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade AutoStar Suite and LPI

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2003 - 02:57 PM

I got my new LPI and got a chance to try it out today.

I took a few terrestrial shots that came out pretty good. The software seems quite good and has alot of features.

I used my ETX with the LPI because its easier to drag out and its raining :) The software will sum the pics as it goes creating a composite image. The user can set the min quality that will get added to the composite or you can add them all or you can save each individual image. There are filters that can be used during image capture. Pretty cool :) The LPI has an option to be used as an autoguider for Meade scopes. I have not tried this yet. You can take, save and average dark frames.

Here is a pic from this morning, since this is an astronomical forum I'll say its the Planet leaf, in the roof galaxy :tonofbricks:

Posted Image

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 November 2003 - 07:51 PM

That looks good! I just came from Astronomics to read up on it. It looks like a lot of bang for the buck at $149.

Let us know how it works out in the long run. I've been bitten by Meade once already, but I'll have to give that some thought. Now I need a laptop.

#3 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 November 2003 - 08:52 AM

I'll know a little more after Sat night. Its supposed to stop raining and be clear if not a little colder. I'll try to catch the eclipse and some Saturn and Jupiter shots. I'll know more by sat. :)

#4 StormKat

StormKat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2003 - 09:42 AM

Grizz, your setup is exactly what I'm saving for so I will be watching and waiting with baited breath. ;)

#5 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:33 PM

Wonder if that will work on a Celestron?

#6 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2003 - 06:43 PM

I was out looking at the eclipse and I figured I'd try and catch Saturn with the LPI. My mistake was setting up on my rear deck. Even breathing causes the image to shake :) But I gave it a shot. Saturn was very low on the horizon and focus was a pain. I guess because of the deck vibrations. But anyway, The pic below is a composite of 25 images. You have the option to have the software add the images on the fly or you can save each one and stack them later or both. I used the "let the software do it" Next time I'll save a few hundred or so and stack them myself.

Not too bad for only 25 images IMHO.

10"LX200 GPS LPI 2.5x powermate.

Attached Thumbnails

• 19110-Saturn6a.JPG

#7 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2003 - 06:47 PM

Stacy,

The LPI will but and the Autostar suite won't talk to a Celestron for scope control. I guess the dome conrols would work and the LPI imaging module but the remote handbox and scope control module only want to talk to an Autostar :foreheadslap: Go figure.

#8 StormKat

StormKat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 November 2003 - 08:53 AM

Not a bad picture at all! I'm getting excited :yay: only a few more months to go.

#9 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 13 November 2003 - 10:40 AM

Meade built it that way. It would not look good to have a autostar running on a Celetron lol. Meade and Celestron arent exactly chummy right now. But I have used the 2" Meade diagonal on my NS11GPS tempararily until I purchased a Televue 2" Everbrite. Some things you can adapt to other scopes. I just wonder what a Meade rep would have said seeing a Meade diagonal on a Celestron scope :lol:

#10 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:48 PM

Mike,
I traded focal reducers with a friend recently. The Meade reducer fits his C8 perfectly and I prefer the fit of the Celestron reducer on my Meade scope. Maybe we should all take photos and mail them in to the reps. :grin:

#11 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2003 - 01:27 PM

I have the Celestron 6.3 FR on my Meade scope!

Say Cheese :grin:

#12 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 13 November 2003 - 02:03 PM

Too funny! :D :D

#13 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 14 November 2003 - 12:06 AM

I see the do advertise that some of their products work with Celestron. And visa-versa.

#14 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 15 November 2003 - 05:38 PM

I though of putting a mini dish antenna on Meade scope while viewing but with my luck I would get Jack Horhiemer doing a Meade comercial :roflmao:

#15 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2003 - 04:46 PM

Woohoo! my scope arrived last week, unfortunately so did the rain. No matter I have lots to discover before I can do much.

One word of caution to anyone buying the new SMT scope: DO NOT upgrade the firmware. The scope ships with version 2.0b if you upgrade via the web you put on 1.7k this will remove your ability to access the smart mount features.

...and so for my first experience with Meade customer support :) the first person I talked to was... well... not good, then this fellow named John Piper called me back (wow) and fixed everything up and is shipping me v2.0b . Very nice solution to my dumb mistake.

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 November 2003 - 06:10 PM

John Piper is the head of QA/Customer Service. His extension is 277 if you need to reach him again.

No, I don't work for Meade, but I'm getting to know a lot of people there.

#17 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 18 November 2003 - 10:22 PM

Schultze,
You should get a job there. At least you could visit your mount once in a while. I can't believe how nice you've been about this.

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 November 2003 - 11:22 PM

So far my patients are holding. I talked to them Monday and today, and it is still being looked at and I still don't know what they found or didn't find.

When I talked to someone who's name I couldn't even understand on the phone yesterday, he said to me "We're quite busy here right now", I said, "I don't doubt it".

I don't think he caught that. :smirk:

#19 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 18 November 2003 - 11:24 PM

They never seem to catch it when you really mean it. "Too stupid to live" is a favorite catch phrase around our house.

#20 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 20 November 2003 - 07:15 PM

My favorite is a phrase is from despair.com's de-movtivational poster: Mistake

"It could Be that the purpose of your Life is Only to serve as a Warning to Others!"

That one fits my life often!

Charles :D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics