•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planning to buy a NexStar 8SE (First telescope)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#101 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hi Tel, Sorry, typing at the same time.

Regards Peter.

#102 Praetorias

Praetorias

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

Thanks, found it and to be honest does not look as frightening as thought it would be. Looks doable lol.

What I can't understand is if the C8-SGT is so great with the same optics and computer as the Nexstar se but has a better mount and tripod, why is it cheaper than a SE8?

It does not make sense.

#103 Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

Thanks, found it and to be honest does not look as frightening as thought it would be. Looks doable lol.

What I can't understand is if the C8-SGT is so great with the same optics and computer as the Nexstar se but has a better mount and tripod, why is it cheaper than a SE8?

It does not make sense.

Some people doesn't want the hassle of polar aligning they mount. Some other don't like the extra weight. I have seen people with Nexstar 8SE setup is 4 minutes or less. It more of a grab and go.

My GEM mount require a little more setup but for me it's no big deal. I always setup before it gets to dark so I have plenty of time to observe when it get dark enough. It's a matter of choice. When polar align, my mount tracking is good enough to keep the target 5-10 min within the eyepiece FOV. For me it's something I couldn't live without so I don't mind carrying 25lbs of counter-weight.

#104 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

Has anyone got a pdf file for the C8-SGT manual, so I can get an idea what is entailed in setting it up and how long it takes, what the steps are etc.

Thanks

Hi Praetorius,

Try this LINK

Art

#105 Zoeff

Zoeff

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

It does not make sense.

The 8SE is cheaper on the Celestron website, and at my local store. Is the C8-SGT really cheaper at your local store?

#106 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hi there, You might try the Nexstar resources site for the manual http://www.nexstarsite.com/Manuals.htm

Sorry, wrong scope. My eye's playing tricks on me again. It's been a long day and it's getting late.

Peter.

#107 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hi Tel, Sorry, typing at the same time.

Regards Peter.

No problem Peter,

Answering the same question or making the same comment at virtually the same time is always an insignificant risk we take.

I don't in fact think you picked the wrong manual. It is the same as I obtained by a different route which I believe will doubtlessly serve. While I was able to find the 'scope model with comparative ease, I just couldn't locate a C8-SGT(XLT) version of the manual.

Best regards,
Tel

#108 Praetorias

Praetorias

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

Yes, at david hinds and two or three other uk sites it is cheaper than the 8SE whether considering the £200 off the SE8 or not.

#109 Praetorias

Praetorias

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

The thing is, looking at the manual (C8-SGT) it seems to have auto align anyway with just a few confirmations and alterations by user. At end of auto align you can confirm it is pointing at polaris and then do auto align again to complete setup. Does not sound too bad.

#110 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

In Memoriam - R.I.P. (1943-2016)

• In Memoriam

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

You guys in the UK have a great price on the Gem mounted 8"...

here in the States the SE goes for $1199...the GEM mounted version (advanced series) goes for $1529.00

I own a couple of Gems...and it only took me a year or two to learn how to point the darn things.. instinctively....LOL

But I'm a slow learner... and I have bad knees which do not allow me to get down and site thru the polar alignment scope without having difficulties... So I rarely use any of the Gems...

Bob G.

#111 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:47 AM

Hi Bob,

The UK deal might be a vise-versa arrangement but overall, the US prices are still only a fraction of what we have to pay in Europe whichever way you look at it.

Discounts aside, the 8SE retails for £1345 over here, which is about US$2100, while the "cheaper" C8-SGT (XLT) can be yours for a a mere £1130 or about US$1740 ! :waytogo:

Obviously shipping is a contributory factor to the cost but I suspect we pay for the units to be both shipped from China to the US and then again to Europe.

If Celestron arranged for their Europe bound 'scopes to be sent by mule pack over the old "Silk Road", that, I believe, Marco Polo once used, David Hinds could slash prices at a stroke !

(Or would he)? :question:

:rofl2:

Best regards,
Tel

#112 Praetorias

Praetorias

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:16 AM

The key question though is why is the identical scope with better mount cheaper than the nexstar. It does not make sense. Ps: current uk prices fan be found at £1050 for c8-sgt and £1099 for 8se, both with free delivery.

#113 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

The key question though is why is the identical scope with better mount cheaper than the nexstar. It does not make sense. Ps: current uk prices fan be found at £1050 for c8-sgt and £1099 for 8se, both with free delivery.

So, have you decided yet?

Seems like you are going with the C8-SGT??

Art

#114 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:11 AM

Maybe it has to do with the SE being more popular, or that they have more stocks of the C8-SGT that they want to move. Anyway, in the US, the SE is several hundred dollars cheaper than the SGT so you might as well get the SGT if it's cheaper than the SE there in the UK. I sold my SE mount to get the SGT's CG-5 ASGT mount (to dabble in astrophotography) so for me it's a no brainer. Good luck!

Best,

#115 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

It does not make sense.

Yeah, something is strange: look at the C6 prices at David Hinds (official UK Celestron main dealer), OTA £755, C6-SE £865, C6S-CGT £950. C8 OTA, £919 (with CG-5 dovetail; oddly the version with the heavier CGE dovetail is £20 cheaper); C8-SE £1145, C8S-CGT £1130.

#116 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

Hi Praetorias,

IMHO, if the price sounds right to you and you're at all interested in any mode of astrophotography, then the C8-SGT should be your choice if that's the size of aperture you're aiming for and your options have been narrowed to that between the N8SE and the C8-SGT. After all, either of these 'scopes equally offer almost twice the light gathering power of a 6".

Speaking from my own experience, my interests certainly covered AP from early on, and thus I soon felt I'd made a mistake in buying my Nexstar 8i, needing later, when I'd exhausted its more basic imaging capabilities, to purchase a more suitable mount, (my HEQ5Pro).

However, any regret I had has now vanished since I enjoy both the benefits of a "Grab 'n' Go" 'scope in the N8i, while having the ability to use it's OTA, where appropriate, on my HEQ5Pro GEM.

Best Regards,
Tel

#117 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

In Memoriam - R.I.P. (1943-2016)

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

Today ... due to my own physical limitations and lack of interest in AP I would buy the 8i (8SE) again..

BUT if I had any interest in dabbling in AP and had a pair of good knees I would buy the Gem mounted version in a heartbeat... even here in the States and pay more money for it ! In the UK since the Gem is cheaper that just about settles which one I would buy even though I could care less about AP.. I'd just have to come up with a way of getting down on ground (and up) to align the mount on Polaris...

As to why prices are so much different... Darn if I know...Maybe the British Govt. taxes single armed scopes more then Gem mounted ones... In any case my money is on Taxes, import duties, the way the wind is blowing on any given day as being the reason for the difference.

Bob G.

#118 Praetorias

Praetorias

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

Ok, I am nearly there.... lol. Just a few more questions. I understand if I did want to connect a canon eos 40d I need two things.
Celestron T-Ring for 35mm Canon EOS Camera and a Celestron T-Adapter, (C5, 6, 8, 9-1/4, 11, 14). On the description of the second part it says "It can also be used for long exposure deep-sky photography when using a separate guidescope" What the hell is a separate guiderscope? All I am seeing is pound signs lol.

Once again, sorry if this is a simple thing.

Thanks

#119 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:22 AM

Hi Praetorias,

I take it you're opting for the C8-SGT so on this assumption, I'll comment as follows.

Based on my own set up, this 'scope will serve ideally to produce good images with exposure times in the region of 3 to 5 minutes duration, depending on the accuracy of its initial alignment. Thereafter, some drift may set in to mar the picture. This is where guiding comes in.

Guiding can be effected by several means:

Use of a Guidescope, which is usually a small refractor attached to the main imaging OTA, through which a guide star may be identified and kept, by small corrective movements, in a fixed position, thus, at the same time, preventing drift of the image.

Use of an Off-Axis Guider. This is an optical device which screws directly onto the back of the OTA and to which the camera is attached directly. The OA Guider also has provision for the attachment of a separate eyepiece at right angles to the light path to the camera. At this junction, there is a small prism through which some of the light is directed to the EP and, simply put, again provides an opportunity to pick up a suitable guide star to follow visually and thereby keep your imaging OTA on track via corrective movements of the mount.

In either system, EPs can be replaced by a separate camera to give for example, a projection onto a PC monitor or indeed the guidescope or Off-Axis guider can be linked and steered directly by a PC.

All this of course is adds to the overall expense but then amateur astronomy is not exactly an inexpensive hobby so ultimately, I think one has to be prepared to spend if the result one desires is to be attained.

However, in going back to what I said about a good alignment and 3 to 5 minute exposures, you will certainly be able to obtain some great images despite your 'scope being unguided. Should you then want to go further into AP just be prepared to spend a little. In any event, my feeling is that if you intend using the perfectly adequate C8 for imaging, you will likely as not, need to invest in a focal reducer or two in order to expand its relatively narrow field of view.

Hoping this helps,
Best regards,
Tel

#120 Praetorias

Praetorias

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:53 AM

"Use of a Guidescope, which is usually a small refractor attached to the main imaging OTA, through which a guide star may be identified and kept, by small corrective movements, in a fixed position, thus, at the same time, preventing drift of the image." isn't the finderscope 6x30 to serve that role?

#121 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

Too wide a field IMO and therefore any slight drift in the finder would present a large drift in the main OTA/camera set up, with any corrections to be made, seeing the object being imaged, potentially pushed from pillar to post. The guide star image would also be, as likely as not, dim, due to the lack of aperture but, then again and against the odds, you could try it ! :lol:

#122 Zoeff

Zoeff

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

What is the "Auto Guide" port on my 8SE for, is this related to the current discussion?

#123 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

What is the "Auto Guide" port on my 8SE for, is this related to the current discussion?

Sorry, No. Its completely "Off Topic".

Better off starting a new thread.

Art

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics