•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Grand Canyon Star Party 2010, June 05-12, 2010

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
166 replies to this topic

#1 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

The 2010 Grand Canyon Star Party (GCSP) will be held the nights of June 05 through 12 in northern Arizona's Grand Canyon National Park. GCSP is an annual collaboration between the National Park Service and astronomers from around North America to bring astronomy outreach to Park visitors.

Amateur astronomers with a telescope and love of the sky to share, and the interested public of all ages, are invited to experience the beautiful Arizona nights in an exploration of the heavenly Grand Canyon skies. Not an astronomer? Drop in for an unforgettable and fabulous vacation for families, singles, and seniors.

Locations will be at Yavapai Observing Station on the South Rim, with a concurrent location the North Rim.

Further details regarding registration and other information will be forthcoming. Stay tuned...

Jim O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star Party 2010

#2 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:08 AM

Man you jumped on this one.

#3 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

A volunteer vs visitor question:

I have my reservations at Trailer Village, will come during star party week with wife,
daughter and son-in-law and new grandbaby (and camper full of baby stuff),
so astronomy stoarge space will be limited to 100mm max binoculars.

Do you need volunteers with small optics for the limited space available at the Point,
or will you have adequate optics?
I can come as a volunteer, or as a visitor;
and will enjoy the canyon, hiking, condor birding, and the heavens.

:question:

edj

#4 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

VOLUNTEER! The space isn't all that limited for us, really, especially for binocular setups. While in the past we've had up to about eight binocular setups, I think only a couple have been 100mm or larger. We've even had some 10X50s.

Your call, of course; I happen to absoultely love the outreach part of what we do. With the 100mm, and the Milky Way hanging so brightly along the eastern sky (no astronomer's neck!), the "full contact/full context" views in the binos will be gorgeous. So much can be awakened with the views of the open clusters, stellar density, and nebulae visible.

Due to the early start next year, Sagittarius will be rising well after the 8PM sundown; I'm not sure how late you'll want to stay up each night with your "camp staff" back in trailer village, but I'll bet the view will be worth every moment. And you can always play visitor when the mood strikes, and enjoy the stroll around and views through other instruments.

Plus, if you let me know you'll be one of our gaggle (email to gcsp@tucsonastronomy.org), I'll get you the fee waiver letter for the free admission; save a few bucks.

Unfortunately, I can't help with Trailer Village; the last few years NPS has provided 18 free campsites we use for those volunteers staying 6 or more nights, though.

As I said, your call; set up a night or two (just need one night for the entry fee waiver!), or as much as you want to endure. You will need some sort of tripod or support for the binos to allow multiple users to look through and see what you're featuring. We have a couple of "senior" veterans who bring home made bino chairs, others use a variety of setups to hold the view while the visitors cycle through.

#5 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:26 AM

Man you jumped on this one.

We Never Sleep :ubetcha:

#6 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:53 AM

100mm binos! Nice! I cant say I saw any 100mm binos out this past year during the evening. Lot of dobs! No big binos. Bring them out!

#7 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

I saw a 75mm pair on a table, and I heard talk as I was walking up one night of 125mm, but never saw 'em.

#8 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

sounds good,

add me to your gaggle list
see PM

edj

#9 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

Gotcha.

#10 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

I've updated the GCSP web page with the new dates, and slightly edited some of the facts, FAQs, and other information to bring them up to date.

Grand Canyon Star Party

Now, for a request.

One of the motivations for the National Park Service to support the Grand Canyon Star Party is to heighten public environmental awareness and the sensitivity of the national parks to sound, light, and human encroachment. The more of the public that can be encouraged to participate, the more that story has a chance to get disseminated. Thus, the NPS is always interested in higlighting great work done at the GCSP. One relatively easy measurement is to cite the numbers of visitors contacted during the week. This is only part of the story; there is also the need to keep the environmental benefits of the NPS in the consciousness of the public, and to encourage participation by both astronomers and visitors if they have the choice.

our Ranger contact for GCSP, Marge Ullmann, has requested that if anyone who has attended GCSP did imaging after the crowd died out each night, they would appreciate receiving some of the results to further popularizing the event. Full credit would of course be given to the imager(s).

If any of you have any imaging products taken at the Grand Canyon during any GCSP event, and you would like to share the images with the NPS and the general public, please contact me at the email address below and I'll arrange for the submission of the products to NPS. There is no competition, no judging, just a chance to spread more of the environmental word and why the dark skies deserve protection.

Thanks for listening!
Jim O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star Party
gcsp@tucsonastronomy.org

#11 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

Just about 6 months away haha! It will go by fast!

#12 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

With the new Teeter Telescope, I can't wait!

We have about 16 folks already signed up. Right on track to have about 70 total for the event. This bunch (except you and me!) are pretty much new to GCSP. The old vets wait until March or April.

It will be here before we know it; I'm wondering how cold it will be, that early in June. I hate cold....

#13 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Be nice to have my 16" and your 18" together. Not sure if I will bring out the 6" refractor, I might to do solar viewing up on the rim while Dennis and Jim point into the canyon during the day.

#14 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:54 AM

I'm wondering how cold it will be, that early in June. I hate cold....

That is one of the reasons I am going to the South rim this year where it is warmer (like Florida or south Texas). Last time I got a 1/4" ice on my car's winshield on the north rim.

edj

#15 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:55 AM

And darn glad to have you we are!

Several years ago GCSP was held in early June, and the tempeartures got down into the 30s by midnight. Not only do I hate the cold in general, I suffer from an allergy to cold called Cold Urticarea . When the temperature gets into the 40s my arms, face, legs, and torso will swell up with hives and itch like the dickens. I'm hoping we see unseasonable warmth this year!

#16 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

I think that we are talking about the same year.
Our reservations at the Kabab Lodge had to be changed because the snow fall collapsed the building we were to stay in.

edj

#17 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:04 PM

Yep, same year. The previous two years had been unseasonably warm, so we never thought to pack for end-of-winter. I got to the lower field, unpacked the scope, no truss tubes! Susan was shivering in the truck in a light jacket. She popped out and said "I'm going back to Tucson for warm clothes." I said, "While you're there...". She made it back home in less than six hours, came back up early the next morning with warm duds and the missing truss tubes. I still remember most folks sitting around waiting for visitors, huddling in parkas and under blankets. At 5 PM!

#18 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

I was at the south rim early in that week,
and remember the winds more than the temperature,
north rim observing at the lodge was sheltered from the wind
but the real treat was omega centauri from the north just over the south rim
(it really is as big as the moon)

edj

#19 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

Oh my, that had to be awesome. Most places on the south rim have obscured views to the south, at least low enough to pick up that monster.

Yes, that wind drove the cold through like a dagger. I couldn't set up some nights even down in the Pit because of the winds.

Thinking warm thoughts for this year...:praying:

or, as my wife tries to cheer me up, saying "El Nino will probably bring in clouds that will keep the heat in." Oh, Great. :tonofbricks:

#20 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Just a bump to remind folks that June is approaching.

If you'll be a visitor to the Grand Canyon during the week, come on by any time; visitors are free to come and go as they wish, look through any and all of the scopes.

If you wish to join us on the South Rim as a volunteer, please check the procedure for registering at

GCSP South Rim

For North Rim information, please visit

GCSP North Rim

#21 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

You already know I am coming, room is booked as well, saving up funds to pay off the rest of it as well! Cant wait!

About a month after the GCSP I will be moving to Tucson Jim.

#22 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Cool!

Got an email from Steve Dermer for GCSP. Looks like the Red Light District is gradually lining up. Wait 'til they see the new box!

#23 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

The new box?

#24 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Mr.Teeter's work of art.

#25 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Ah yes, I cant wait to see it in a couple weeks. Looking to set up right next to you like in October.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics