•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Til I Saw Her Face, Now I'm a Believer!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
391 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

I've owned many zoom eyepieces and looked through even more through the years, and other than the Televue Nagler Zooms, which in my book are barely "zooms" given their narrow focal length ranges, I've been totally unimpressed. Even the most costly large-range zooms like the Pentax an Leica fall short of the mid-range fixed focal length eyepieces in sharpness.

In addition I own and have used several of the Baader Hyperion (and Hyperion Aspheric) eyepieces, and have found them to be a mixed bag. I really like the Aspherics. The standard Hyperions are merely "okay", however. Thus I had extremely low expectations Saturday when I got my first crack at the Hyperion Zoom.

To make a long story short, I was utterly, completely, blown away. Fantastic eyepiece and far sharper on axis and off than the fixed focal length Hyperions. I have no idea how Baader pulled this off, but the Hyperion Zoom is an excellent eyepiece competing favorably with quality fixed focal length units.

Regards,

Jim

#2 cycledogg

cycledogg

Vostok 1

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

Jim,
I have always regarded your opinion on EP advice true and accurate since I first became a member of CN. I am very pleased to hear you like the Baader zoom ep and even though I am a new comer into the world of astronomy, I too like my Baader zoom.
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee

#3 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Jim, I'm quite jubilant and extremely happy that you've been "utterly, completely, blown away" by the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom and that it is a fantastic eyepiece from your own reckoning - it's some sort of a validation for me since I have been a very vocal advocate of this particular zoom eyepiece ever since I owned one around a year ago. I have articulated that it is THE best value for money that I have ever had for anything that I ever spent for in this hobby. Thank you very much for expressing your thoughts about the Baader Hyperion zoom, your well respected stature and higly valued opinions in the eyepiece community adds a very clear and loud voice on what a great piece of glass the Baader Hyperion zoom really is. Thanks and clear skies always.

Best,

#4 djeber2

djeber2

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

After reading some of the recent threads on this zoom I went ahead recently and ordered one, should arrive early this week. Looking forward to giving it a try based on all the favorable comments.

#5 peter k

peter k

Viking 1

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Welcome to the club, Jim. Last several observing sessions with my 10" f/4.7 dob, all I have used is my 27 Pan, the Hyperion zoom, and an Antares 1.6x barlow. The zoom-barlow combination works great. To my amazement, this combination has actually extinguished my heretofore perennial eyepiece lust--at least for now.

I find that the ability to easily fine tune magnification can be really helpful in spotting dim galaxies, and greatly outweighs the FOV limitations of this eyepiece.

#6 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

... I was utterly, completely, blown away. Fantastic eyepiece and far sharper on axis and off than the fixed focal length Hyperions. I have no idea how Baader pulled this off, but the Hyperion Zoom is an excellent eyepiece competing favorably with quality fixed focal length units.

Regards,

Jim

I agree, Jim, I strongly feel this is the best zoom on the market today, in it's class ... the 'modest' price is icing on the cake. :waytogo:

#7 Bill Fischer

Bill Fischer

Viking 1

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

For a reference, how does it compare to TV plossels like the 11 and the 8?

#8 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

Just as sharp, if more. My TV 20mm plossl gives very much the same fov and the Hyperion zoom's sharp image and contrast at it's 20mm setting. At 8mm, that's a whole different ballgame - the zoom leaves the plssl in the dust - porthole immersive 70ish widefield view, as Jim said, "fantastic." We need not say more.

Best,

#9 PEterW

PEterW

Gemini

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

....the FoV has a nagging habit of 'tunnelling in' when you zoom out.... so it won't completely remove the need for 'more eyepieces'. I use mine with my spotting scope... only EP I need, also does service as the medium-high power night EP too.

Cheers

PEterW

#10 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Agree. My Zoom was as good or bested my various fixed Hyperions. If the AFOV stayed constant then it would be *the* perfect EP. Use a 3x barlow with it and it's pretty much a one EP show.

#11 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

Fantastic eyepiece and far sharper on axis and off than the fixed focal length Hyperions. I have no idea how Baader pulled this off, but the Hyperion Zoom is an excellent eyepiece competing favorably with quality fixed focal length units.

Regards,

Jim

This observation shatters the myth about fixed focal length eyepieces supposedly always being better that what a zoom has to offer. It will be most beneficial especially to new entrants into the hobby who want to find a good alternative to expensive fixed focal length eyepieces. The Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom is the one, the great alternative eyepiece. Thanks!

Best,

#12 phez

phez

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

Agree. My Zoom was as good or bested my various fixed Hyperions. If the AFOV stayed constant then it would be *the* perfect EP. Use a 3x barlow with it and it's pretty much a one EP show.

i cant begin to imagine the behemoth this would turn out to be.

#13 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

The Hyperion zoom barlows very well, so I suggested the clickstop zoom and TV 2x barlow here:

Starting my EP collection - Mag/brand Suggestions?

Found this combination to be a sweet one. :)

Best,

#14 Patricko

Patricko

Gemini

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

After reading this thread I've come to two possibilities:

1.) My vision is more acute than most on here

-or-

2.) The examples I've looked through were defective :shrug:

#15 Edwin Quiroga

Edwin Quiroga

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Yes, this is a wonderful ocular! I like so much and it gets a lot of use in my TV85, in despite the arrive of the Pentaxes. I do have a buddy... He has a TSA102. He has said to me that he -as a visual guy- just needs and is happy with the Hyperion Zoom plus a TV barlow 3x for a nice range 35x-300x in his scope.

I have barlowed it with a TV 2x and a Proxima 1.5x (same as Antares 1.6x) and it barlowed quite good.

#16 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

Patricko, from a previous thread, I know you champion orthos, and I love them too (see sig. line) save for their restricted 40'ish fov, and I know also that no eyepiece can ever cut it for everyone, that there will always be someone who will not like one particular eyepiece, without exception I will venture to say. Eyepieces are very personal, what one experiences with them may not necessarily be the same as what others find out about the same EP for themselves. It may, as you suggest, be the samples you've used or maybe version (there are 3, the latest of course being the best) or we'll concede it that your vast years of experience in astronomy and observing has made your vision "more acute that most on here," good for you, that's great! :bow: But we mere mortals will just be content with our Hyperion zooms.:lol:

Best,

#17 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Patricko:

I'm probably one of the world's great "low glass" snobs.

My own 4-and-fewer-element eyepiece collections include full sets of the following:

Televue Plossls
Brandons
University Abbe Orthoscopics
Takahashi MC Orthoscopics
Pentax SMC Orthoscopics
TMB Supermonocentrics
GSO Super Plossls
Faworski Orthoscopics
Meade Research Grade Orthoscopics
Apogee Super Abbe Orthoscopics
Edmund RKEs

Likewise, I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by Leica Zooms, Televue and Vixen 8-24 Zooms, Pentax XL Zooms, etc. The 8-24mm Hyperion Zoom was besting my TMB Supermonos and Pentax SMC Orthos on Jupiter's bands. To boot, the scope using the SMC Orthoscopic had a huge aperture disadvantage (78mm versus 140mm).

Perhaps there is variability unit-to-unit. I know that the standard fixed focal length Hyperions I have are "middling" in performance though others rave about them.

I was prepared to be let down by the Hyperion Zoom, and despite my extreme bias against complex eyepieces and zooms, it delivered in spades. Buying and returning until you get a "good one" would be worthwhile if Saturday's performance is an indication.

Regards,

Jim

#18 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

I have the generation two version and after I got it I sold my Pentax XF eyepieces. I just could not see any difference at 12mm and at 8mm the zoom has a larger field of view and just as sharp. This is for my eyes and my scopes and my northern latitude seeing. I can imagine that for top of the line equipment one might see a difference with top of the line eyepieces.

Brad

#19 astrodon

astrodon

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

The 8-24mm Hyperion Zoom was besting my TMB Supermonos and Pentax SMC Orthos on Jupiter's bands.

Thank goodness you said the scope with the SMC ortho was at a huge aperture disadvantage, Jim. :graduate:

#20 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

Au contraire Don...the SMC Orthos (mine) were in the 140mm apochromat triplet. The Hyperion zoom was in the 78mm fluorite doublet!

I was very impressed.

- Jim

#21 Patricko

Patricko

Gemini

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Jim, this almost sounds as if seeing is the key factor here. Did you swap eyepieces with the other scope? There is something not right with this observation. Regardless of how good the zoom may be a 78mm scope has no means in resolution power to defeat a 140mm scope. Physics is physics and I know that you know that. Think about what you have stated and then think about the resolution differences of the two telescopes. Something else was the determining factor here and it was not the eyepieces.

#22 astrodon

astrodon

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:49 AM

:jawdrop: :scared:
you left the lens cap on the 140?
:john:

#23 astrodon

astrodon

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

Jim, this almost sounds as if seeing is the key factor here. Did you swap eyepieces with the other scope? There is something not right with this observation. Regardless of how good the zoom may be a 78mm scope has no means in resolution power to defeat a 140mm scope. Physics is physics and I know that you know that. Think about what you have stated and then think about the resolution differences of the two telescopes. Something else was the determining factor here and it was not the eyepieces.

I think Patrick may be on to something..

#24 joe colontonio

joe colontonio

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

I don't have a problem with Jim's Statement's.

Although resolution equals more detail. Sharpness does not need more resolution to see,

With the smaller scope he might not be able to see more but what he does see is sharper.
This can be a valid statement.

We all see and perceive things differently.
We have different brains and eyes.
In the ep world there is no 1 size fits all.

What you see does not invalidate what he sees and vice versa.

This post is a general statement and not directed at any one person

Joe

#25 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

Joe, I'm with you on the matter.

Just want to share some reactions I've received when I let some associates (am 1st to have a Hyperion zoom in the local group) look thru the Hyperion zoom at it's full glory @ 8mm, they can't help but out that de rigueur "wow" and say that the Hyperion zoom blew them away, and ask: and that's a zoom??? - and these are astro veterans! Through the most part of owning one, I wasn't able to compare the zoom with the fixed Hyperions, until I recently when received one. Got this 21mm because of permutations as George's post here:

Baader Hyperion 8-24 click stop zoom

The combination of the 8-24mm zoom and 21mm allows a parts swap to give 4mm - 32mm without using any barlow! Then the plot thickens, you can employ 2 "tuning rings" on the 21mm to give 14-17mm FL's with the wide full 68-deg fov. It's a great "modular" design really.

Comapring the 21mm to the zoom, what I noticed is the very negligible pincushion distortion of the 21mm compared to the zoom in daytime viewing looking at straight building edges as benchmark. If just for this, the zoom must have a different design altogether that makes it excel/overtake the performance of the fixed focal length Hyperions. Just a conjecture here, don't really know the actual inner workings of these EPs, just observations in their use. Thanks.

Best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics