•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Til I Saw Her Face, Now I'm a Believer!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
391 replies to this topic

#201 o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1der than dirt

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:09 AM

And my last post above was exactly the 1000th. Whatever does "Pooh-Bah" mean :question: Thanks.

Best,

You should ask that question in the Off Topic Forum.

Then stand back and watch the fun.

#202 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:04 AM

Oh goodie.:woohoo: Thanks Mike and Kit!

Best,

#203 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:39 AM

Whatever does "Pooh-Bah" mean :question: Thanks.

Best,

A character from Gilbert & Sullivan's The Mikado

Peter.

#204 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

Thanks Peter! Googled the comic opera and reading the synopsis thanks.

Best,

#205 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Binoviewers have been gaining popularity because they make for very comfortable and natural viewing (both eyes open and no squinting just like in binoculars), easy on the eyes that it makes you stay and veiw longer without tiring, thus allowing you to see more details eventually, and give that 3-D like views that when you look at the Moon through them (using stock 20mm 66-deg fov pair of EPs), it seems as if you're inside the Apollo module looking from the porthole, hovering around the Moon and about to make a historic landing.:grin: Quite stunning and jaw-dropping the first time it's used. I've been wondering how the Hyperion 8-24mm zoom would work in a binoviewer, like with the relatively cheap $200 William Optics kit:

Posted Image

The above WO binoviewer setup is of course just a mock-up since I have only one Hyperion zoom (the other "dummy" is the 21mm). Has anyone tried to binoview with the Hyperion zooms to success? Thanks.

Best,

#206 phil piburn

phil piburn

Viking 1

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

Hernando, I sent you a PM.

#207 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Phil, got it; PM replied to.

Best,

#208 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

Here's the Hyperion zoom in a William Optics Megrez 102ED SV in Lamborghini yellow:

Posted Image

Only a few batches were churned out in this color, it's mostly whites that's out there. Also in the pic is the Orion ShortTube 80 sporting the WO 7.5-22.5 zoom. The zooms work very well in either refractors.

Next stop, head-to-head with the two zoom eyepieces.

Best,

#209 ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:19 AM

My Hyperion Zoom arrived today and I just put together my new Orion XT8i dob. Now, I just need to hope the clouds disappear tonight.

Do let us know how it performs on your XT8i when you get the chance to put it to use. Thanks.

Best,

It worked fantastic - clearer than the 10 and 25mm Sirius Plossis that came with the Orion. And I loved not having to fumble in the dark changing eyepieces. Also, less focusing when you change magnification and I wasn't bumping the scope off the target as much as I do when I try putting in new eyepieces.

Also put it in my Celestron 80ED I just received today and worked great there too. I may need a second one for when I take both scopes out.

#210 ggarrison

ggarrison

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this, but I found some instructions for the Baader Hyperion Zoom. It does help a little, since none came in the box. :idea:

Clear skies.

#211 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

It worked fantastic - clearer than the 10 and 25mm Sirius Plossis that came with the Orion. And I loved not having to fumble in the dark changing eyepieces. Also, less focusing when you change magnification and I wasn't bumping the scope off the target as much as I do when I try putting in new eyepieces.

Also put it in my Celestron 80ED I just received today and worked great there too. I may need a second one for when I take both scopes out.

Garland, glad to hear you find the Hyperion zoom to be fantastic, and planning to get another one, it's testament to the growing trend that this particular zoom is a good substitute to the stock eyepiece/s that usually come with new scopes (or old/used). It may not be an Ethos or a top line Nagler, but from your description, one feels the step up in performance, let alone the quality and feel of the EP itself. Bottom line is, once tried out, one becomes a believer, and one feels money's worth and value for the Hyperion Zoom, every penny paid for of $200 thereabouts. Enjoy!

Best,

#212 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this, but I found some instructions for the Baader Hyperion Zoom. It does help a little, since none came in the box. :idea:

Clear skies.

Gordon great post! Thanks for the link, it will be very useful for new Hyperion zoom owners. Clear skies.

Best,

#213 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

Posted Image

Probably the two closest competitors, the Hyperion Zoom and the WO Zoom. The deciding factor for me was the 70'ish FOV of the Hyperion Zoom, it's just to compelling to dismiss. Here's what's posted in an earlier thread on the new Orion Zoom ($279.95) which form all indications is probably the same as the WO and the Smart Astronomy Zooms.

"From my initial impressions when comparing the two (just very recently received the WO zoom), the Baader Hyperion is better than the WO in terms of field of view and a tad better contrast/sharpness. The HypZoom gives that immersive porthole view which looks more of 70ish degrees as compared to the WO at 66 deg. which does not impress or give the same "wow" view as the HypZoom does. In terms of quality/make impression, the HypZoom I would say is a notch better, although the WO is lighter than the HypZoom. Bottomline is I'd get the Baader Hyperion zoom in a heartbeat if I were to choose only one from the two and the fact that the HypZoom is cheaper at $215 makes the decision all the more easier to make. Hope this helps."

Best,

#214 andydj5xp

andydj5xp

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

Wow Hernando,

up to now you have had 91 contributions to this thread. This looks like a unique record for CN forums.

You are indeed a great fan of this wonderful eyepiece and sure love helping others.

Andreas

#215 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

Now I got that "Monkeys'" song in my head & can't get rid of it ! :tonofbricks: :bangbangbang:

#216 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

And you must hold the record for counting the contributions to this thread! :poke:

:roflmao:

Seriously, it's good to see enthusiasm displayed about a product in the forums! :bow:

#217 nejedj71

nejedj71

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

My Hyperion 21mm and Hyperion ClickStop-Zoom arrived today. FedEx also brought thunder showers.

Both boxes were not white. The box is one piece that folds down over the top and slides into the side like a pizza box.

Every side of the box (except the bottom) has advertising images. The images are the same as the colorful pdf information sheets.

I did notice each box has an initial on the interior as if it is a quality control signature.

#218 andydj5xp

andydj5xp

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

Seriously, it's good to see enthusiasm displayed about a product in the forums!

That was the reason for mentioning it.

Andreas

#219 phil piburn

phil piburn

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Boy I hope you guys are right on this one. I just sold all
my eyepieces and can't use my scope now. I am waiting on my
Baader zoom. All I have here in Kansas City are clear skys.
They tell me the zoom's won't be in for about a month. I
had Nagler's, Hyperion's and Burgess Plantery. Now just a
scope "Stellarvue 80mm" and no eyepieces. Woe is me. Oh I
do have a 2X barlow, but you guessed it, can't use it.
No eyepieces. Hernando, loan me one. Ha!

#220 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Wow Phil, *that* is one gutsy move!

Any idea how long you'll be waiting for your Hyperion Zoom?

Regards,

Jim

#221 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Wow Hernando,

up to now you have had 91 contributions to this thread. This looks like a unique record for CN forums.

You are indeed a great fan of this wonderful eyepiece and sure love helping others.

Andreas

Andreas thanks a lot! Coming from you, I am much honored and very humbled. :bow: You are so right, and I guess it's pretty obvious, I love the Hyperion zoom and for very good reasons and will help in any way I possible can whoever might be interested in the them. I feel that the zooms' time has come for a fitting comeback (thanks too Jim for starting this thread), one that packs a wallop in return because it has been much maligned and dismissed for so long for either being tacky or compromised and supposedly impossible that it can approximate the performance of fixed focal length EPs. Well the Hyperion zoom has stood its ground and the long list of satisfied and happy owners can only bode well for the future of zooms in the world of amateur astronomy.

Thanks much to you too Andreas for being an ally in the defense of the zoom in the forums to dispel negative notions attributed it and deliver the zoom to the fore where it rightfully and respectfully belongs. Clear skies and happy zooming!

Best,

#222 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Now I got that "Monkeys'" song in my head & can't get rid of it ! :tonofbricks: :bangbangbang:

Will sing/hum along to that! Lets pull out the cheat sheet for the mental karaoke:

Monkees - I'm a Believer:

I thought love was only true in fairy tales.
Meant for someone else but not for me.
Ah, love was out to get me (da-du-du-doot-doon).
That's the way it seemed (da-du-du-doot-doon).
Disappointment haunted all my dreams.

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer.
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm in love, (mmmmm, oh), I'm a believer!
I couldnt leave her if I tried.

I thought love was more or less a givin' thing,
Seems the more I gave the less I got.
What's the use in tryin' (da-du-du-doot-doon)?
All you get is pain (da-du-du-doot-doon).
When I needed sunshine I got rain.

Oh, then I saw her face, now I'm a believer.
I'm in love, (mmmmm, oh), I'm a believer!

[Instrumental break.]
Oh!

Ah, love was out to get me (da-du-du-doot-doon).
That's the way it seemed (da-du-du-doot-doon).
Disappointment haunted all my dreams.

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer.
I'm in love, (mmmmm), oh, I'm a believer!

Yes, I saw her face, now I'm a believer.
Well, not a trace of doubt in my mind.
Said, I'm a believer, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,
(I'm a believer.)
[Fade.]
Said, I'm a believer, yeah,
(I'm a believer.)
Said, I'm a believer...

Trivia: Song written by Neil Diamond and first sung by The Monkees in 1966. (Ref: www.mp3lyrics.org)

I admire Jim's choice for this thread's title and musical origins, thanks!

Happy humming!

Best,

#223 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:27 PM

Seriously, it's good to see enthusiasm displayed about a product in the forums! :bow:

Carol, thanks! Being passionate and enthusiastic about the Hyperion zoom is easy, because it's my favorite # 1 eyepiece.

Best,

#224 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

Boy I hope you guys are right on this one. I just sold all
my eyepieces and can't use my scope now. I am waiting on my
Baader zoom. All I have here in Kansas City are clear skys.
They tell me the zoom's won't be in for about a month. I
had Nagler's, Hyperion's and Burgess Plantery. Now just a
scope "Stellarvue 80mm" and no eyepieces. Woe is me. Oh I
do have a 2X barlow, but you guessed it, can't use it.
No eyepieces. Hernando, loan me one. Ha!

Phil, <gasp> I agree with Jim, that's one gutsy move! :shocked: Hope the Hyperion zoom lives up to your expectations. Sure, I'd loan you an EP in the interim, take your pick! (sig. line list) :grin:

Anyway, I've PM'd you about Hyperion zoom vs. the BO/TMB 4mm Planetary EP, and late as it may have been because you've already sold your BO/TMB's, I'll just put a copy of my findings here for the benefit of those who might be interested in this particular shootout:

Got the break last night and in-between clouds I was able to train the Megrez 102ED f/7 refractor on Jupiter, knowing you'd probably be interested in planetary performance. Using both the Hyperion zoom set at 8mm with a TV 2x barlow (yielding 4mm - 178x) and the BO/TMB 4mm, I was able to readily see 3 bands, with a 4th fleetingly from time to time. Both EPs displayed clear and sharp images of Jupiter and it's bands and I found a hard time deciding which is better; kept swapping back and forth several times but from my assessment, it was a dead heat and will be hard pressed to declare a winner. But if I were forced to say which gave a better image I'll have to give the slightest of edges to the Hyperion zoom/TV 2x barlow combo. I guess it does help that there was a noticeably bigger vista/FOV in the Hyperion zoom and I was able to view Jupiter longer as it crossed the FOV, it does make a difference. Hope this helps.

Don't worry, if the zoom is not up to snuff you can always easily get back those BO/TMB/Naglers, they're all over the used mart regularly and if ever, you'll never have a problem selling the zoom, others are raring to snap one up.

Thanks for your complete confidence in the Hyperion zoom.

Best,

#225 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

Wow Phil, *that* is one gutsy move!

Jim, it's all your fault for starting this thread! Joke.:grin:

Actually I have to profusely thank you for starting this thread, it has captured the imagination of EP enthusiasts and has put the zoom right smack in the middle of the map and has given it the prominence that it so richly deserves; quite a feat, congrats and thanks for everything.

Best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics