•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ETX-LS Reviews?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
170 replies to this topic

#1 firstbase

firstbase

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else notice an almost complete lack of "first light" reports and reviews of the ETX-LS from actual owners? I thought that there would be plenty hitting the web by now....

#2 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

I've been curious about this also....ominous if not strange... :shrug:

#3 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

I mentioned the lack of reports some 3 weeks ago. It had been very quite then for about 2 weeks. Don't know who the ETX-LS is aimed at. Here in the U.K they are asking £1.399. ($2368). That's a lot of money for a 6" scope.
Lets hear from you if you have one.

Peter.

#4 Michael Cox

Michael Cox

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

I am also looking for feedback for the ETX-LS. Will this scope support a binoviewer without straining the gears? Will it track to allow for longer astrophotography? Seems like reports for this scope are hard to find, hope this does not mean it is not selling well or has some operational issues.

#5 rob288

rob288

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

Down here in New Zealand its not yet available, or anywhere else in the Southern Hemisphere, apparently there is a software issue when it comes to Southern Hemisphere that Meade have to address.

Is it available in Europe yet.

The fact its only in the US at present may have something to do with it, either that or the users are so happy they don't have time to let us all know how its going.

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:01 AM

I am also looking for feedback for the ETX-LS. Will this scope support a binoviewer without straining the gears? Will it track to allow for longer astrophotography? Seems like reports for this scope are hard to find, hope this does not mean it is not selling well or has some operational issues.

Apart from novice postings on their newly acquired ETX-LX that I've not found helpful - I too await a review having closely examined the scope static at European Astrofest London last Feb. The Altaz mount [with its field rotation] is not best for astro imaging although some software can post correct this. :rainbow: Astrofest video clip here

#7 Hector

Hector

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

Hi
I bought an ETX-LS from the US 2 weeks ago. I am in Melbourne Australia and so far I have had no problems with the software in the Southern Hemisphere.
The scope works as advertised, it takes about 6-8 minutes to go through the full auto align, using the CCD imager. Everything so far has been good. In fact I have just come in off the front drive and am extremely happy.

Dave

#8 DeWittJ

DeWittJ

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

I have had my ETX LS ACF for two months and can't get enough of using it. The clouds here in South Carolina have been a pain lately, but when it is clear I am out. No trouble with auto alingment using the GBS. Tracking is great. Few weeks ago I put in on Jupiter and the view was great. I let it track for about 45 minutes and when I came back out, Jupiter was still dead center. I haven't taken any pics with the built in CCD, but if weather is good will try this weekend. I just wonder how good this scope will be with a CCD imager/software package added?
r/
Jim

#9 Phantastes

Phantastes

Lift Off

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

I recently purchased the ETX-LS and so far I love it. I'm fairly new to the hobby and polar alignment has always been my nemesis. This is not an issue with this scope although I have not yet been able to get the full auto align to work. I use the two star alignment and it works great. I'm hoping that it's because it hasn't been dark enough because of the full moon during setup. Anybody else have problems with the auto-align using the built in ccd?

#10 drprovi57

drprovi57

Messenger

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

I have owned my ETX-LS since June - I have had it out about a dozen times and all worked well with fine optical views. See my first light report,

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

I have recently did some fine tuning of the calibration (via the Meade instructions) and it helped improve the goto with auto-alignment. I have been hoping to get a clear night aligned with my busy schedule to get some DSLR astro images - will post when this happens.

Jason

#11 DNTash

DNTash

Apollo

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

Nice first-light review Jason. Thanks.

#12 R Mckenzie

R Mckenzie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

I mentioned the lack of reports some 3 weeks ago. It had been very quite then for about 2 weeks. Don't know who the ETX-LS is aimed at. Here in the U.K they are asking £1.399. ($2368). That's a lot of money for a 6" scope.
Lets hear from you if you have one.

Peter.

If you think thats expensive for a 6 inch scope take a look at what we are paying from these guys
http://www.langwoods...16&cat=3&page=1 :bigshock:

Theyre too scared to even list a price for the new ETX-LS

#13 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

The UK price is not too bad. Here in Hong Kong the Meade ETX-LX is selling at HK$9900 (approx. £792) for the SC model and HK$11000 (approx. £880) for the ACF model.
http://www.grandeye....k/pc_etx_LS.htm
I am surprised a set of Meade LXD75 AR6 would be selling at NZ$4100 in New Zealand but the same set is selling at HK$9300 (approx. NZ$1860) here in Hong Kong.
http://www.grandeye....PriceList01.htm

K W TONG
C8+CG-5GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

#14 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

Doesn't the ETX-LS have a built in CCD? Why would you need to add a CCD to it? Just curious!

#15 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

Doesn't the ETX-LS have a built in CCD? Why would you need to add a CCD to it? Just curious!

The CCD is not imaging through the main scope. It's primary purpose is to aid in aligning the scope and therefore is setup as a wide field imager. You could probably get some shots of smaller constellation or asterisms with it.

If you want to do DSO imaging with the ETX-LS you will need a better CCD imager ... just like any other scope.

#16 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

Thanks! I did not know that. From the ads it seems to hint that you can get great images on the built in ccd with this scope. I am very happy with my 6" refractor and ST-7 CCD so this is just curiosity!

#17 orbitman

orbitman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

My profession is in the spacecraft area and the CCD is there to function as a star tracker, similar to those on spacecraft but much simpler in design. Like Mark said, it is a wide field camera and you will need a camera to take good photos.

#18 orbitman

orbitman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

I have had my ETX-LS for about one month. Unlike others posting here, I have had some difficulties. My GPS will not locate me. Each time it places me about 60 miles away. Therefore it fails auto alignment. I did go into the system and change the default alignment to manual and things worked better. There are a few other owners having the same issue. However, I bought the scope to use when I travel away because it is lighter than the LX200R I normally use. I wanted to stay with the ACF optics which are really good. The scope is very well built and very sturdy for a one-fork scope mount. The integration of the MySky features are really good if you want to spend the time listening to the descriptions of what you are looking at. The other problem I have is with the scope not recognizing a "Mini" SD card. I was planning on using the SD card to save photos to. Be aware that the camera on board the scope is a wide field camera and doesn't take photos through the eyepiece. It is mounted at the bottom of the tube so it can look up to the sky. The addition of the camera is to function as a Star Tracker, similar to ones used on spacecraft, but simpler in design. Once the camera has located the "bright" star, it will center it in the scope's field of view, which is pretty cool. I have since spoken with Meade and sent my scope to them to have it inspected and fix anything broken. I will update when I get it back.

#19 rollout

rollout

Vostok 1

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

I have since spoken with Meade and sent my scope to them to have it inspected and fix anything broken. I will update when I get it back.

I hope you have better luck with Meade than I had. Yes, they would fix a problem, but would break something else and it would have to go back in. Lots of run-around.

Bill

#20 Michael Cox

Michael Cox

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hello All:

Just to let you know up front that I do not any ax to grind against Celestron or Meade. That said, I had high hopes that Meade would hit a home run on the ETX-LS because I think inovation and progress should be supported and rewarded. Not to mention turning the company around and getting it on the road to recovery.

I have since it was first announced been following the reviews of the ETX-LS and it has been a mixed bag for many new users. I am starting to see more people having problems with the scope providing correct gps and onging alignment failures.

If you would like to read what is said about the scope on Mike Weasner's Mighty ETX Site here is the link.

http://www.weasner.c...x-ls-6-acf.html

It is my hope that Meade gets the bugs worked out of this new scope, but at a price of almost $1500.00 and not have it work as advertised would just drive me up a wall. Meade is capable of making good products and I still believe the market would be stronger with them as a company then without.

Hope this helps those who want more information about this scope.

Clear Skies

Michael

#21 musicwon

musicwon

Vostok 1

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

The Meade ETX-LX certainly promises to be a Home Run product. I'd like to see a big success with this product.

I would love to see some images from the scope.

#22 rollout

rollout

Vostok 1

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

Due to unresolved problems with my ETX-125PE, I had "suggested" that Meade replace my scope with a LS and I would pay the difference. Kinda glad they didn't take me up on that now.

Bill

PS I have given up on Meade support. Next stop Dr. Clay. :-)

#23 musicwon

musicwon

Vostok 1

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

Well, in my opinion, many HERE, trounced hard on the fabulous RCX series leading in SOME part to it's discontinuance. I hope that does not happen to the ETX-LS

I think Meade is a fabulous company with some of the most forward thinking designs in the industry. I was unhappy with them with the Celestron lawsuit but a Meade was my first scope - a refractor.

I think this ETX-LX with the built in camera is the wave of the future.

I'm really hoping to hear from people with good experiences - often (as was the case with the RCX) those are the silent majority.

#24 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

Mike Weasner's Mighty ETX Site here is the link.

What just KILLS ME is that cotton-pickin' Meade couldn't even double-check that the scope they sent to Mike Weasner worked right. :lol:

#25 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

Well, in my opinion, many HERE, trounced hard on the fabulous RCX series leading in SOME part to it's discontinuance. I hope that does not happen to the ETX-LS

Only a small part. The main reason? The scope had NUMEROUS problems, with way too many dead out of the box or shortly thereafter. The main blame for the RCX's failure is MEADE. It could have been a great product, but Meade, for whatever reason, did not have the wherewithal to:

--Ensure the build quality was there given the premium price (compared to other SCTs).

--Exercise a minimal amount of QA.

--Execute the revs and mods and design changes that fixed problems.

They were either unwilling or unable to do these things, so goodbye RCX. I will say that introducing the RCX was a brave and bold move, and if they'd done it five years ago, before their financial problems became serious, it might have been a whole different story.

Unfortunately, there are signs the LS is goin' down the RCX path. I hope Meade's new management nips that in the bud. I think the LS has the POTENTIAL to be a great scope for many people.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics