•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

ETX OTA as a spotting scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

Anybody using the ETX OTA as a spotting scope?

If yes, would you recommend it? I’m a little hesitant as I don’t want to mess up the OTA, and I’m not sure if too much daytime use might damage the optics.

One more thing, any tripod recommendations under $200?
I have the Meade 883 field tripod but I don't think I can fit a tripod head to it. I see a Bogen tripod for around $100 and the head supposedly handles up to 8 lbs. I don’t think the 105 OTA weights that much, but with eyepiece and digi-camera it might go over the 8 lbs.

Thanks!

#2 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 November 2003 - 08:21 AM

Hi Emilio.

I used to have an ETX 90-RA, and would take the tube assembly out of the fork mount (four allan bolts release it) and use it on a Velbon D600 photo tripod when on holiday. I used to use the 26mm plossl (48x) and watch planes taking off and landing, wild-life etc and it worked fine. I didn't have any problems removing or re-attaching the tube, and it always snapped into place and stayed put no problem. You'd probably want a foam lined case though to keep the tube nice'n'shiny!

I take it you have the 105? I haven't used that size- is it mounted into the fork mount the same way?

For astro use I had it mounted on the Meade#883 but I didn't add much weight to it!

:cool:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics