•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Just got word my 14" LX200GPS shipped

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:46 PM

I just got the notice my 14" shipped today. :jump: 5 days till delivery. I'm planting it in a small roll-off roof observatory where my 10" classic sits now. I'm very interested in the Autostar suite & LPI. Living in Minnesota I hope to get it installed before the thermometer freezes. Has everyone recieved their scopes in good condition? :question: Is there anything I should be concerned about before taking delivery?

#2 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 12 November 2003 - 02:13 AM

The only thing I can think of is make sure you have someone available to help you get it on the mount! Be a shame not to be able to use it right away.

Nice scope :)

Reagrds,
Stacy

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:07 PM

Better clear a big area for it. The box is immense.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:13 PM

I'm planning on taking a mini-van. Should I take a pickup instead, or how big is big?

#5 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:22 PM

BIG! and I'm jealous by the way. Let us know how you like it.

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:25 PM

Gee, Barry.

I dunno; better take out the back seats at least. A pickup will be easier to load and unload (I hate loading heavy things when I must bend over to fit under a roof). If nobody posts the actual box size pretty soon I'll go out to the barn and measure mine for you.

#7 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:50 PM

John,
I looked online but could not find the dimensions. The JMI case is 51x28x24 and should be pretty close to the box size.

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:36 PM

Thanks, Echo.

I found it; The main box is 23" X 32" X 53". The tripod box is 16" X 16" X 50".

#9 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:37 PM

Note: From what I hear they are shipping a shorter tripod these days so that box may be smaller.

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:39 PM

Thanks, I'll take the truck if the weather holds. Monday seems a long way off still. I expect I'll set it up inside for a few days to fool with hooking up a laptop and seeing how the Autostar suite works. Has anyone tried to operate this scope remotely via a network? I live in Minnesota and it's cold already. I can get a network cable to my observatory. It would be great to go out, roll the roof off, fire up the scope & computer, then get inside. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:43 PM

It would be great to go out, roll the roof off, fire up the scope & computer, then get inside. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

I've learned that there need to be a couple of hours between the "roll the roof off" part and any observing. I'll be trying a Cat-cooler sort of thing pretty soon and hope it will help.

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:05 PM

John, Is your observatory heated? Mine's not. I may not even get to cut the pier down and mount the new scope until spring. I might have to use the tripod. Either way I expect the scope will be at outside temp. The computer, camera, & stuff will be taken in when I'm done.

#13 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:23 PM

John, Is your observatory heated? Mine's not. I may not even get to cut the pier down and mount the new scope until spring.

Not intentionally, but the Sun does heat it up during the day. I haven't shortened my pier yet, either - but the roof just exactly clears the scope if I leave the wedge off.

#14 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2003 - 04:20 PM

I do control my scope via network; however I did not use the IP software Meade provided. My laptop is windows XP and has a wireless network card. I use MS remote desktop from my "in house computer" and use the AutoStarCtrl.exe program not the "control pad" launched within the Autostar suite. I use this and LPI.exe together for full control as well as a fair picture of what the scope sees. I recommend alignment and course focus before going inside.

err... that would be coarse focas :)

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2003 - 08:46 PM

Thanks journeyman, I have fooled with Microsoft net meeting and it does allow me to take control of my laptop from a desktop via a network connection. I picked up the scope last week and actually had 2 clear nights to observe. It's a great scope. I also picked up a 35mm Panoptic eyepiece. I've had some much fun just looking, I haven't even tried the LPI yet. I hope to try the network control with my ETX 90 in the comfort of my office. Its 20 degrees with 5" of snow here.

Also Thanks Stacy, John and Echo for your input. The scope came in a day earlier than I thought but it did fit in my mini van (without much room to spare). I'll be back asking for advice as I start to use the camera. Thanks again all

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics