•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12" F/5 Guan Sheng

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

12" F/5 Guan Sheng

#2 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

The mirror in my 10 inch f/4.7 Orion (Skywatcher) is very good....identical patterns on either side of focus and very little light scatter. It is every bit as good as my 15 inch "premium" Discovery mirror.

Chinese optics, especially consistency, has apparently made great strides over the last few years.

:cool:

#3 Brian Gibson

Brian Gibson

Vostok 1

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

I agee that this is an amazing 12" Dob for the price. I bought one a few years ago under the Sky Mentor name. I upgraded the focuser to a dual speed crayford, added Bob's knobs to the primary and secondary with the upgraded primary mirror springs and added a red dot finder. None of these upgrades were absolutely necessary but they do make it a joy to use. I also drilled the outside of the tube to add a pair of aluminum handles which makes it easier to lift the heavy tube into the mount without bending. Looking at Jupiter or Saturn through a binoviewer in this scope is something you will never forget!

Brian Gibson

#4 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

GSO is quickly becoming a standard bearer in optics. They make great stuff across the board. This report is extremely encouraging. My only qualm would be cool-down in such a huge rolled aluminum tube. You could try a Protostar scope liner for that.

Somehow GSO have figured out how to make large paraboloids accurately. I am very curious about how they do this.

-drl

#5 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

BTW where is this sold in the US? Don't GSO make the optics for the LightBridge? I know they do for the Meade SN scopes.

-drl

#6 Brian Gibson

Brian Gibson

Vostok 1

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

I believe they do make the mirrors and hardware for the LightBridge because the Bob's Knobs kits that I installed were designed for the 12" LightBridge Dob.

Brian

#7 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

As far as I know , GSO is producing the mirrors for the Meade LightBridge & the optics are reportedly great on these scopes . The Schmidt Newtonian series mirrors & corector plates were produced in Irvine California until Meade decided to move optics production down to Mexico . Prior to that it was U.S. optics in a Chinese assembly . :tonofbricks:

#8 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

This excellent review is similar to my experience with my Zhumell 10 inch f4.7. I've owned and and still own several telescopes. However the Z10 is the most cost effective purchase I've made in the last 50 years. The optical train is made with quality products, good finder, good focuser. Spider and primary mount are excellent. Optical quality is excellent providing sharp planetary views and near perfect star tests. Split Sirius with it and have found it to be a joy to use despite its very basic Dob design. Bill

#9 erick

erick

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

The assessment of my GSO 12" primary mirror is such that I have decided to have it built into a quality truss design!

#10 starquake

starquake

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

I have one of these GSO 12"-ers (looking a bit different than the one imaged), it produced better views in the last star party I've been at than some of the EU-made premium brands of similar size.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics