•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Einstein @ Home & Other BOINC projects

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 redvis

redvis

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

I am reposting this from the Computer section here, if this is inappropriate feel free to delete it, but I thought that some folks here might want to jump aboard too!
--
Hi everyone! I'm not sure if you all have heard of Einstein@home but take a look: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/

It runs on the same principles as SETI @ home but instead of searching for aliens we're searching for gravity waves. I started a Cloudy Nights team at:
http://einstein.phys....php?teamid=518

I'd love to have you join! Donate your spare computer cycles to benefit the study of the cosmos. Hope to see you all joining! Let's see how far we can take this team.

Cameran

#2 Mike_I

Mike_I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Macomb County, Michigan

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:30 AM

Sounds interesting. I signed up. :cool:

#3 Bishamon

Bishamon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:17 AM

I'm on the CloudyNights SETI@Home team, already. Not sure if I want to take any processing power away from that. :)

#4 redvis

redvis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hey Mike, thanks for signing up! I hope we can some more people aboard.

Bishamon, you could be a Cloudy Nights distributed computing powerhouse if you did both! Generations of Cloudy Nights forum members would stand in awe at your contributions to the search for aliens and gravitational waves! :-)

Oh, by the way, how do you like your Sky-Watcher 90mm mak?

Thanks,

Cameran

#5 Bishamon

Bishamon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:46 AM

Bishamon, you could be a Cloudy Nights distributed computing powerhouse if you did both! Generations of Cloudy Nights forum members would stand in awe at your contributions to the search for aliens and gravitational waves! :-)

Mabe I'll set up both, so that my computers aren't idle when there are no SETI work units available. :)

The optics are excellent, and it's very light and easy to set up. I use it with a NexStar GT mount via a Baader bracket.

#6 redvis

redvis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for offering to donate some cycles to the team, Bishamon. We only have four members so far, and it looks like only two of us are active so we could definitely use some more help. If anyone has any questions about the team or the project (http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/) feel free to ask!

Cameran

#7 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

• Loc: Pa - between starparties

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:14 PM

Just sign up for the team. Hopefully we'll gey a few more members. Mt pc is usually running idle most of the day on cable access. Let's kick some butt.

#8 Mike_I

Mike_I

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:30 AM

My name finally popped up on the roster. I was wondering where I was.

#9 Bishamon

Bishamon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:34 AM

For some reason I am unable to attach to the project, despite the fact that I am cutting and pasting the URL and account ID from the email I received. Hmmmm.

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:22 AM

Well I signed up for ya! It conflicts with my distributed.net but I'll let it run for a while. Its on my work PC so might as well utilize it!

#11 redvis

redvis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

Our team has now swelled to 9 members! Right now 3 are active but I read on another forum that it can take up to 1 week for your name to appear in the active column, assuming that you have actually analyzed some work units.

Bishamon, are you using BOINC 4.19?

Nathan, thanks for signing up! Don't you mean that distributed.net conflicts with Cloudy Nights? ;-) Let all your buddies on Cloudy Nights know that we're trying to help ol' Albert.

Some other news regarding the team - our rank is now up to 349 out of 1,000 - we have shot up from being 432 just yesterday! Great work everyone!

Also, a link of interest to those of you on the team:

http://www.boincstat...einstein&id=518

These are the stats for the team compiled by boincstats.com. Their numbers are typically several hours old, but it gives you a good feel for where the team is and where it's going.

Anyway, thanks again to all that have joined. Hopefully we can break the 10 member barrier this week.

Well, back to hunting gravity waves for me!

Cameran

#12 Bishamon

Bishamon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

Bishamon, are you using BOINC 4.19?

I wasn't, and that was the problem. I was running 4.13, but when I upgraded to 4.19, it allowed me to attach to the project. :)

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:20 AM

Cameran...I installed this on my server at work (shhhh don't tell my boss). This should up your stats a little! I'll leave it running for a while and see how we do.

#14 redvis

redvis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hey, that's great news! The more people we get on this team the better! We're currently up to #163 out of 1,000 teams - we've shot up over 200 places in the past week and a half.

Anyway, hope that some more people decide to sign up and help us look for gravity waves!

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:00 PM

Thanks,

Cameran

Searching for aliens surfing waves, :)
Sounds fun to me.
has any gravity wave been found yet?
which has the better chance of happening?
aliens visit us all the time and we still cant find them.

lol.
I'm in, I was a seti guy for a while.

#16 redvis

redvis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hi jsatan! We'd love to have you aboard the team. We're doing GREAT! Ranked #117 out of 1,000 teams so far - I think we'll break into the top 100 soon. We currently have 11 members, 8 of which are active.

If you would like to help the search for gravitational waves (ripples in the fabric of space and time) predicted by Einstein's relativity we'd love to have you join our team. You can ask any questions in this thread or PM me. The link to join the Cloudy Nights team is in my signature.

Thanks for joining jsatan!

Cameran

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:20 PM

lol. I've joined, downloaded and now crunching.
I know what grav waves are, I'm into that sort of thing, well if I wasnt I dont think I'll be here.

How do you detect them. watch for slight changes in other object path and see if there is a pattern moving down the line.

How fast does these things move?

I'll install the software on the comps at where I work, (even tho I'm leaving tomorrorw) let that sit there for a while. as I was runnign a mas network for university this should give it a boost if even only for a short time. :)

Just so peopel dont think I'm strange (as the name may inply that) My real name is Jonathan, My nik name is just an old school nik name and I've used from then onwards, :)

How much are we lagging behind the other teams?

#18 redvis

redvis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for signing up. We've moved up to #116 right now. I love this stuff - all teams are in it for the betterment of knowledge. It's great to see so many people wanting to help learn more about this amazing universe.

Anyway, took this from a site about Einstein@home to answer your question about how to detect gravitational waves:

"The waves are detected with perpendicular pairs of laser beams located at each facility. When a gravitational wave passes by, it can change the lengths of the paths the laser beams follow by tiny amounts. LIGO and GEO 600 scientists observe gravitational waves by comparing these changes in the laser beam paths. Longer laser beams mean greater sensitivity. The lasers beams travel back and forth between pairs of mirrors that are 600 meters apart in GEO and four kilometers apart in the LIGO facilities, which makes these observatories very sensitive. In fact LIGO should be able to measure changes in the laser beam paths as small as one-hundred-millionth the diameter of a hydrogen atom."

As far as I know, the speed of gravity is not known yet. I hate to make concrete claims, after all if there's one thing science has shown us it's that our knowledge at any time is woefully incomplete. However,the speed limit would be the speed of light based on our current understanding of the universe via relativity, but nobody is yet 100% certain exactly what speed gravity goes at. Some experiments have indicated it is within 20% of the speed of light which would match up with relativity. So if the sun vanishes (no more solar observing :() then we'd have about 8 minutes of light and about 8 minutes of feeling the sun's gravity before the ripples in spacetime would hit our planet and release us from the sun's gravitational grip. Again, this is based on what I have read and understood and based on our current understanding of gravity. Newton's gravity stood for 300 years, so there is reason to believe that our current understanding of gravity is also incomplete. See the recent stories about leaking gravity and star formation.

I am a layman so if anyone is more knowledgeable about this please feel free to correct me or gift us with more knowledge!

As for our ranking, we're on this page:
http://einstein.phys...edit&offset=100

and some interesting stats about our team is at: http://www.boincstat...einstein&id=518
but these stats only update a few times per day.

Thanks for joining!

Cameran

#19 Mike_I

Mike_I

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:54 PM

We broke 100!

#20 redvis

redvis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

I was just about to post the great news! The Cloudy Nights Forum Team for Einstein@Home just reached #99 out of 1,000 teams. This is super news!

It feels great to be helping out with this project in the modest way we can.

Cameran

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:55 AM

I've only done 2, :(
but every little helps. :p

Is this us?
I'm not in there, :p
lol

Edit I'm missing something, I didnt knwo I had to join a team, lol. I've done that now so my whole 2 blocks arnt added, :p

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:30 AM

and some interesting stats about our team is at: http://www.boincstat...einstein&id=518
but these stats only update a few times per day.

I'm already participating on another team, but thought I'd pass this on...

BOINC Synergy has a nice stats site also, I find their layout preferable. The URL for the CNF Team is here:

http://www.boincsyne...518&project=eah

#23 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

• Loc: Slovenia

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:57 AM

OK, I joined.

#24 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:50 AM

There's also a free resource here which offers user graphics for signatures (or web pages) w/stats, via donations of capital and hosting resources.

These also keep track of other BOINC projects in case anyone's working on SETI or whatnot, and allows you to customize the color schemes. (Note: mine only displays Einstein since it's the only project I'm running.)

Ex.1 (<1kb): Posted Image

While you can also use your own hosted background image if you really want to get artistic, be advised that doing so creates a much larger file size, which likely will exceed the signature guidelines on this forum.

Ex.2 (~42kb in my case): Posted Image

Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone interested. :)

#25 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

• Loc: Pa - between starparties

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:04 AM

We seem to be moving backwards, just checked the stats and we're now 134.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics