•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Einstein @ Home & Other BOINC projects

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 Agent M27

Agent M27

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa ,FL

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

I just joined and am about to join our group! How much hard drive space does it consume? And how do I tell it to draw from all of my hard drives instead of just one? THanks and I will get crunching for us right away!

Joe

#102 Walt9129

Walt9129

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

I just joined and am about to join our group! How much hard drive space does it consume? And how do I tell it to draw from all of my hard drives instead of just one? THanks and I will get crunching for us right away!

Joe

The BOINC application (the "umbrella" for all the associated projects) is highly configurable, and each individual project (i.e. SETI@Home, Einstein@Home, etc.) can be configurated, user-defined.
For example: apart from CPU configurations, SETI@Home let's the user choose to run just the "traditional" (in terms) SETI application, and/or Astropulse apps, and the latter eats a **lot** more of CPU resources.
Currently I'm running SETI@Home, MilkyWay@Home and Cosmology@Home. These are reliable applications from known sources.
To choose your project(s) please visit http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php
A lot of info is also available there.
Regards, Walt

#103 Zoeff

Zoeff

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Haarlem, Netherlands

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

Joined! :jump:

#104 Penarin

Penarin

Vanguard

• Loc: Orion, IL

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

I've been running a mix of Einstein and SETI @ home. Told myself I'd eventually switch to something more health- based, but it's hard to leave behind the astronomy related stuff.

#105 Shadowalker

Shadowalker

Apocaloptimist

• Loc: Chetek, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

Apparently the program is yielding results. Here's a report of an unusual pulsar discovered.

linky

#106 tau neutrino

tau neutrino

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:46 AM

Joined.

#107 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

I started with an asteroid identification program that I attended a talk on earlier this year at NEAF, then recently switched to the Open Zika research which is part of the IBM sponsored World Community Grid subproject in BOINC.

https://www.worldcom...o?articleId=480

Zika scares the hell out of me. I have little confidence that Congress will act effectively. This is one way that I can do something useful. The research results are open, so that they are not locked up by a scoundrel like Martin Shkreli.

#108 Sharkboy

Sharkboy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

Closed System Gravitational Waves (aka: Human Emotions) are Neutral-Magnetics based (aka: Karma) and are ripples in the curvature of the Human Ego, that propagate as 'waves' at the speed of light, generated in certain gravitational interactions (aka: egotistical/emotional outbursts) that propagate outward from their source.

Just like Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity explains Human Stupidity, Human Emotions, via Karma, explain CLOSED SYSTEM Gravitational Waves.  ;)

"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein

"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not beyond necessity." - William of Ockham (Author: Occam's Razor)

Namaste,
Ribbit  :)

Ps: The Universe is an OPEN System, so ALL Closed System Laws & Theories do NOT apply to the Universe, they only apply to closed minded Humans.  ;)

#109 James Ball

James Ball

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

I didn't know there was a Cloudy Nights group for these but I will be signing up.  I have been running Seti, Milky Way, Einstein, and Asteroids @home for several years.  I haven't made it through the whole thread yet, what programs are there Cloudy Nights groups for, I will join any I can :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics