•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bino Chair (StarRocker)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#26 Don M

Don M

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

Beachchairbill,

Hi, I purchased my chairs at Pamida discount stores (mainly in the midwest I believe). I think Walmart carries the same one for the same price- around $30.00. GameChairs.com carries what appears to be the same one - more money! I have not tried the models that fold up - less stable?? - maybe not! :D

StarRocker

#27 chgomonitor

chgomonitor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

There are a few different models, some even have built in sound systems.

#28 matthew2000tx

matthew2000tx

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

My local super target has 3 models ranging in price from $30-$160. I really like the fold able one for $60... but I wonder what the effects of the folding back would be?

#29 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Administrators

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

just bumping this...I don't want to lose track....!

#30 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:45 PM

You're right. My 4yo son has one and the back has velcro and folds down. The only drawback of these chairs is that it is right on the ground. That doesn't leave much room for your knees to bend comfortably. Other than that, they seem great for binos.

#31 planet-beaver

planet-beaver

Ranger 4

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

I bought the video racker from Wallmart this spring for $30. Almost all Wallmarts have then in the stores.I tried to mount the binos to it. It didn't work all that well. The vibration from my own heart beat kills the viewing.

#32 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

The vibration from my own heart beat kills the viewing.

Chris,

Perhaps you need one with just a little MORE cushioning. :sumo:

http://www.amazon.co...59095421&sr=8-9

#33 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

More cushioning for the chair or his heart?

#34 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

I'm hoping that more cushioning in the 'chair' might help to dampen the pulsations from the body/heart. :idea:

#35 Doug L

Doug L

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:26 AM

...The vibration from my own heart beat kills the viewing.

Minimizing vibration from one's heartbeat is extremely difficult when designing binochairs, especially when the bino is mounted directly to the chair. Even when building my binochair (yoke frame not attached to the chair), I found that I couldn't avoid the 'heartbeat bounce' when using my 22x100's, but as long as there was no additional vibration following the bounce (nil damping time) the viewing is quite acceptable. You do not say how you mounted your bino to the chair. If that support is very rigid, then one cause of jiggle may be due to play in the chair swivel and tilt mechanisms - just a guess. :)

#36 Don M

Don M

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

As I envisioned the StarRocker project and proceeded there were several modifications. When the original ‘proto type’ was on its maiden voyage it became apparent that the freedom to slew hands free with no back neck or arm fatigue was very desirable. However, the view was stable but not stable enough! As you know, the main culprit was my own heart beat. We know that the characteristics of resonance (in simple terms) are related to object length, cross-section, composition and the driving force. Early changes included using a larger diameter tube (bino arm), switching the ‘pillow blocks’ and attachment plate from aluminum to wood - with increased spacing, replacing the aluminum ‘L’ bracket supporting the binoculars with a laminated wood ‘L’ bracket, and replacing the small metal ‘ball joint’ set-up with a larger one (eventually a standard size 2 ¼” pool ball). The bino arm tube (red chair) was increased to 1 inch EMT from 3/4 inch on the original (blue) chair. I have also used PVC pipe (schedule 80 is better than schedule 40) (80 is thicker than 40). ABS pipe is perhaps the best as it is very light weight – but not as readily available. It appears that both plastics (2 inch or bigger) work as well as EMT but may not look as ‘sleek’!!?? EMT also requires a special tool to bend it to the desired shape – and after the initial bends it can only be reshaped slightly. PVC or ABS is the easiest to work with. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 3477030-CHAIRS.jpg

#37 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

When do you start accepting volunteers to test your product? :grin:

#38 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as soon as discussions turn to sales of this item, then the member becomes a Vendor, I would have to change his title to Vendor and I would have to remove this post from this forum. It could get moved to the Vendor forum. So, it might be wise to NOT discuss sales here.

edz

#39 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

O.K.
NO SALES! (correction made)

Just put it at the TOP of my Christmas 'WISH List' and we will see how Kris Kringle handles it.
If you attach sleigh runners, perhaps one of the elves would drive it over to my house. :gnottagnome:

#40 Don M

Don M

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Kris Kringle Rides Again!!

I couldn’t resist the temptation!!

If you think this ‘reindeer’ resembles a horse there is an element of truth in your thinking. Although sketchy, local folklore reveals that in the distant past a gamma ray burst from a far off galaxy intersected Santa’s reindeer, the resulting alterations in it's DNA left it resembling a horse more than a reindeer. Locals refer to these as ‘horse deer!’ ‘Horse deer’ are generally only seen late at night during the holiday season!??
On rare occasions a sighting reveals what locals refer to as the ‘nose phenomenon!’ The actual truth is that the energy density of the GRB was such that the elusive ‘Top Quark’ was captured and locked in the ’Rudolph’ (nose) position. The enigma continues when you consider the proposed half -life of a ‘Top Quark’ and its apparent visibility as verified by this high quality certified digital image. CN Rocks!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3485880-IMG_7337.jpg

#41 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

Don M(agnificent),

Well, you really outdid yourself on this one.
Most excellent!!!

This makes up for an otherwise crummy Saturday afternoon.
I appreciate all your efforts!!

:thanx: and M E R R Y...C H R I S T M A S ! :coldday:

STAN

#42 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Administrators

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

Great picture...thanks!

#43 TedM

TedM

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:14 AM

Hey Don-
Fabulous. I am trying to put together a collection of great solutions like this on my blog, http://telescopebinoculars.com/blog

I would be real happy to post your pictures, and if you have a write up about the process. And of course give a link to wherever you want.

Thanks,
Ted

#44 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

Impressive!

#45 Don M

Don M

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

StarRocker Locator

Where are you looking? – As an ATM’r or CN’r how many times have you heard this phrase? When taking in the night sky with a less experienced person or group, this scenario is often played out. In an attempt to replace frustration with understanding, accomplishment, and fun, I built the StarRocker Locator. The ceramic ball was purchased at a home decorator store. The Baltic Birch plywood is attached to the ceramic ball with clear Silicon Seal. I usually lock the laser switch on and then use the remote switch as it allows me to turn it on and off without changing the location of the laser.

A fun feature of the Locator is revealed as it sits on my desk and my non-astronomy friends eye it, get enough nerve to ask what it is, and upon being told, roll their eyes, look up at the ceiling and slightly shake their head. As a CN’r I know you understand this!CN Rocks!

Don M StarRocker :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you. Don M (StarRocker)

#46 rouseyfire

rouseyfire

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

Very sweet!!!...except the snow of course. Attach some blades to the chair and you're ready for the next winter olympic games in the luge event.

#47 Andresin150

Andresin150

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

Is that the very fine, deluxe version aka snow resistant version of the Night Sky, Pocket guide? :)
Excellent inventions Don M!!!

#48 Don M

Don M

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

Very sweet!!!...except the snow of course. Attach some blades to the chair and you're ready for the next winter olympic games in the luge event.

Glenn,

Perhaps you have seen this but if not have a look!!

LUGE???

CN ROCKS Don M(StarRocker) :jump:

#49 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Don,
Shouldn't the pictures of your Locator in use include the text, "simulated laser beam"? People might get the impression you've sourced a laser you could burn your initials onto the Moon with! :grin:

More seriously, your projects bespeak the skills of an artisan. Nice stuff!

#50 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Administrators

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

Another awesome project!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics