•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bino Chair (StarRocker)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#51 Don M

Don M

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

StarRocker Rolls.

I was getting tired of the two or three trips it takes to move the StarRocker to the observing site, I decided it was time for wheels. It became obvious that the folding cart sitting in my garage, that I purchased because it was unique and inexpensive, was the answer. The first time that I put the cart and the StarRocker together and realized that it was a good fit (thanks to the small Velcro sports strap) I smugly sat down in the StarRocker. While seated and still in the garage, I called my wife Doris on the cell phone and asked if she could do me a couple of favors. She said, “Sure”, and then asked what she could do. I said that I would like a cup of coffee in my big observing mug, and then because I was already seated, would she please roll the StarRocker and me out to the driveway for an observing session? At that point the cell phone transmission seemed to become garbled (probably due to the warping of my spacetime envelope caused by my massive dinner!) - the only thing I was able to make out was something about a high cliff??? I am almost certain that she had to be referring to some geological features on Mars or the moon and I was about to explain that at 15X features of this nature would not be visible!!! However, after a few moments of contemplation my better judgment prevailed and I concluded that this was perhaps not the most appropriate time for a lesson in basic optics and resolution! Therefore, I proceeded to wheel the StarRocker out to the observing site myself - concluding that it would be better to have the coffee after the session – after all, coffee can disrupt the tempo of an observing session – then there is the issue of spillage on maps etc. etc!!

As we know, amateur astronomy is a multifaceted endeavor and we must be sensitive to the ebb and flow of each!!?? The cart was a nice improvement and added to the fun of this hobby/addiction! CN Rocks!

Here is a (YouTube peek!) (StarRocker) Don M

Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

I love it! :grin:

What did you use for the support tubes?

Sean

#53 Don M

Don M

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:46 AM

Sean,
I am a little slow on this end! The support tube on the StarRocker is 1 inch EMT (electrical metal tubing)- the cart came from Sam's Club. CN Rocks (StarRocker) :jump:

#54 dartman

dartman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

you and your wife did a wonderful job,being a builder ,I realy like what you did with your project.great finish.i see you both take pride in your work,excellent job.I was going to build mine with the beach chair design,But after seeing what you guys did you changed my mine.I just got off line with meijers and you can get the vedio chair for 26 bucks.now all i got to do is find the lazy susan and get the rest at lowes and iam all set for my new barska 20x80 x-trail binoculars that iam waiting to arrive.only cost me $99 on amazon.com.thank again.

#55 marcelof

marcelof

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

I am charmed with the simple and effective designs. In addition, he likes more to my pocket this economic and simple design. The experience says to me that the easier it is to transport it, the more it will be used.
A prize to the imagination. :bow:

#56 marcelof

marcelof

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

It happens to me: that such if in the sides of the chair it had two half circumferences. Since used in you them telescope dobson truss tube. Maybe easier to incline?

#57 dartman

dartman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

HI don me again.When i make one of these cool chairs my question is.Does the chair just sit on top of the wood frame you made??Iam not sure how the slide you use attaches to the plat form or the bar across the back .can you kind of fill me in on that??Another question is ,Because the chair has all the stuff like the bracket to hold your bino's and metal bar it would seem that the chair would be one sided.I just would like a little more details if i could .Thanks

#58 Gynomite

Gynomite

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Don:

Did you ever find or produce those plans?

#59 Don M

Don M

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

StarRocker at Kitt Peak! No, I am not pointed at the sun and the binoculars are covered! I just couldn't resist the background view!! CN Rocks!

Posted Image

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics