•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

An All Wood Parallelogram Binocular Mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#26 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

Very nice!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#27 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Gemini

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

Concerning the junction of the vertical post to the azimuth bearing:
One sees two semicircular blocks next to the square post bottom. Are the flat surfaces of those two semicircles tapered, to mate a matching taper of the flat surfaces of the post bottom? Loosening the wing nuts would allow quick removal.

#28 Nathan F

Nathan F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:56 AM

Concerning the junction of the vertical post to the azimuth bearing:
One sees two semicircular blocks next to the square post bottom. Are the flat surfaces of those two semicircles tapered, to mate a matching taper of the flat surfaces of the post bottom? Loosening the wing nuts would allow quick removal.

Actually, the two semi-circles are permanently attached to the square block, which is in turn permanently attached to the vertical post. So, the vertical post, bottom block, and semi-circles are all one unit.

This homogeneous unit simply sits flat on top of the top azimuth disc, with its protruding permanently installed carriage bolts. The bolts guide the block into place, and hold it very securely.

Your idea is much more clever; I wish I would of thought of it! If only to avoid the need to pocket and then reattach the wing nuts each time I assemble or disassemble the mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics