•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Super Ramsden?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 hwhall

hwhall

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

I had this in the Eyepiece Forum but someone suggested posting it here instead.

I recently disassembled a cheapie SR4mm eyepiece (going to use the body for a project). I expected from the name to see just 2 lenses inside but I found three. From what would be the objective end of the eyepiece, there was a field stop then a short space to a double-convex, a short space to another stop then a short space to a double-concave followed very closely by a double-convex.

I think it was an air-spaced doublet looking at a double-convex field lens. That sounds like a Kellner but isn't the negative lens instead closest to the eye in a Kellner?

At first I thought SR was Symmetrical Ramsden but with the extra lenses I thought maybe this was a Super Ramsden but that too seems to use only 2 lenses. What is a Super Ramsden really? And was this a super ramsden or something else?

Thanks!

#2 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

SR denotes Special Ramsden. :smirk:Mike

#3 hwhall

hwhall

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:51 AM

Okay, but a web search for "special ramsden" didn't turn up any more info than "super ramsden". :shrug:
With three lenses in it instead of two, my dissected SR just didn't seem very Ramsdenesque. :p

#4 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:01 AM

Okay, but a web search for "special ramsden" didn't turn up any more info than "super ramsden". :shrug:
With three lenses in it instead of two, my dissected SR just didn't seem very Ramsdenesque. :p

Ain't nothing special about a Ramsden. "SR" is "Symmetric Ramsden," and no doubt there have been many variations on that sorry theme. :lol:

#5 hwhall

hwhall

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:33 PM

Agreed, Uncle Rod, that they are nothing special! Hence my willingness to trash one for tinkering around.

But I now have seen three definitions for SR:
Symmetric Ramsden
Super Ramsden
Special Ramsden
They all turn up with varying frequency in web searches but almost nothing on how SR differs from the original Ramsden design. I did find one reference that claimed Super Ramsden employed special glasses to enable slightly wider field of view.

It still seems that the 3 lense design I encountered doesn't jive with any interpretation of Ramsden at all.

#6 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

I was looking through Chris Lord's Evolution of the Astronomical Eye Piece today and noticed he included two different Ramsden's one from 1783 the other from 1790 with a closer spacing of the elements and a wider field of view. He also has an achromatic ramsden from 1849 with a 2 element achromat and a single element. This latter could be the derivation of the "SR" eyepiece.

-Joe

#7 hwhall

hwhall

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

Hi, Joe. Yep, that achromatic ramsden looks quite a bit like the "SR" that I took apart. The achromat was just air spaced instead of being cemented. Thanks!!

#8 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:50 AM

SR denotes Special Ramsden. Mike

That's what my literature says too, mine look like a reverse Kelner.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics