•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOTO Hy-Score on EBay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

Okay, so who's the other crazy person (besides me) who jacked up the bidding on the GOTO, LOL? Well, I had to pay a lot more to win this dirty specimen because of you, so come on out and reveal yourself <g>.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3342707-scope4.jpg

#2 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

I bid the first day to $166. I like the alt/az mount. And be sure to keep this one away from tires. ;) No coatings just like the one i had. Enjoy.

#3 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

LOL, yeah, I always prepare for the worst after that event. I wanted a Hy-Score for my collection, so I lost my mind a bit, just did the same with the Swift 831 I just bought. This is the last of the 'must haves', I swear.......

#4 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

This is the last of the 'must haves', I swear.......

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I said that 15 refractors ago! :lol:

#5 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

I think I said it before too, thankfully my memory is shot. :smirk:

#6 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hi Chuck,

OK, it wasn't me either, but only because I got mine on eBAY last year. Except for the bottom of my case de-laminating, every thing about the scope is fantastic. Mine is dated 1957 and has the same type written description, and misspelled (?) eyepiece instructions as yours has.

I paid a pretty steep start bid for mine, but then no one ever bid against me. I, as it turned out, luckily won by default. I have an early/mid fifties Unitron 114 with a very similar mount as the GOTO. Because I have to move all about my property finding views of the sky through the trees, I really prefer these light but stable ALT/AZ mounts over GEMS.

Now if the Swift 831 was an eBAY, "I can't believe I'm still bidding!" kind of thing, THAT was me! Did you "just bought" the Swift on March 4?

other Keith

#7 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

Yes, I kind of wanted that one too. But, the bidding went quite a bit higher than I was willing to go.

Congrats on the purchase. You have a very nice scope there.

Steve

#8 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hi Keith,

No, I picked the Swift up on AM today. It's missing 2 EPs, but I have a line on those....

I did see your pics in another thread, both the GOTO and 114 are really nice. I have 2 114s a 62mm, and a 60mm. These old scopes are cool, the 'stroll down memory lane' I have every time I look at/through them makes it worth every penny I spent!

#9 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

Sure Steve rub it in :smirk: On a serious note, I think the lens will clean up nicely, I have the Baader Optical Wonder ready to go. I'll post some pics once it gets here, by then I hope I will have forgotten the sticker shock I'm feeling.

#10 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

Well Chuck you could have spent the same and got your self a 8mm Abbe ortho eyepiece so I dont think a hole scope and some nice eyepieces is to bad for that kind of money!! I didnt bid on it. I am in the 4" or bigger mode. In fact I am in the I got to just enough scope mode to!! Clint

#11 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

Well Chuck you could have spent the same and got your self a 8mm Abbe ortho eyepiece <snip>

Yes, I suppose the level of obsession for our preferred poisons will, be it EPs or old scopes, dictate how much violence we will inflict upon our bank accounts <g>.

I'm with you Clint, the only thing left on my current list is a nice Unitron 160....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics