•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Little Minox BD 6.5 x32 IF binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:18 PM

Normally I am not a great fan of sub 40/42 mm size binos. esp. for astro use, however I must admit to an increasing fondness of using my now 2x week old Minox BD 6.5x32 I.F. binoculars. Japanese sourced with an 8 degree F.O.V, F.M.C., W.P., Argon filled and phase corrected prisms. 19 mm eye relief and an exit pupil of just under 5mm. They weigh 22Oz. / 650grms.
They have the aspheric lens elements. They are around the $US380 but I got mine as an ex demo. version for $300.
Birders are not a great fan of these admittedly with the I.F. but for general daytime and astro. use they work well. Depth of field is impressive and once set they are in focus from about 75 yards to infinity. They are robustly built and similar in style to the Leica 8x32 Trinovid BNs.
There are minimal aberrations and distortions and the image is bright and flat. Internal secondary reflections are minimal. Stars are clearly pinpoint on axis. Edge distortion is minor and the full 8 degrees FOV is immenently usable. Even at 32 mm aperture on dark skies star clouds glow around the Scorpios and Sagittarius region. Jupiter displays no flaring. Hand shake is minimal at 6.5x. and I 'see more' when this occurs.
Whilst I am not advocating the 32 mm size for astro use the image quality is impressive and these little Minoxs gives a satisfying view that is compelling.

I have no association to Minox or any one else. [Except my wife. :)]

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• 3382596-106665598.jpg

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

Very interesting , Chris !

Indeed , a joy to read and imagine .

Kenny

#3 harbinjer

harbinjer

Messenger

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

I'm curious how small of binoculars do people use for stargazing. Also how small are your finder binoculars?

I did once try a Steiner 8x32, and was surprised at how bright they were as well.

#4 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

Chris...

I enjoyed reading your excellent review of the Minox IF. You certainly make us want to take a peak at this binocular. Lately, I have taken a shine to 6x and 7x binoculars during the day and night. Their size certainly makes them convenient for eliminating hand shake and providing a plus for enjoyable viewing.

Thanks for the review.

#5 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

I'm curious how small of binoculars do people use for stargazing.

The clearer the skies the more enjoyable the experience.

I have used my wife's Leupold Katmai 6x32mm & I also recently picked up the Celestron Traveler 8x25mm.

25mm is rather small, but, it still sees more than the human eye, at 8x.

#6 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

From the South Rim of the Grand Canyon ten or fifteen years ago I was able to put a pair of Nikon 8x23 Venturer IIs really deep. I saw the Veil and N American Nebulas as well as the Helix with them. Under those skies a 6.5x32 would've been delightful.

Of course the 11x80s I also had with me (this was camped at the rim before hiking down in, the 11x80s were WAY too big for backpacking) really did fantastic. The 8x23s were just to see what I could see.

Lately I too am relearning the joy of a 6x30. I inherited my father's old 1950s Leitz Biduxit little center focus porro. I had to get them cleaned and collimated and thought they were a wreck after Cory Suddarth worked them, lots of eyestrain and then some paint or something fell on a prism right center of the field while I was watching the Cheetahs at the Wild Animal Park, but a trip to Baker Marine here in San Diego set everything back to perfect. I find it a challenge just to see what I can see, and these glasses bring back many fond memories of my childhood when my father carried these everywhere to let me look at things. The magnification is so low that shake is a complete non issue and the field at 8 degrees or so is wider than I'm used to.

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics