•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade ETX-LS - My First Telescope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

Meade ETX-LS - My First Telescope

#2 stevenst

stevenst

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

It is pretty impressive that the scope managed to find a way to align itself in a very limited viewing site! I hope it brings you many great views and hours of enjoyment.

#3 tincup01

tincup01

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

I can feel the excitement. Enjoy your new setup. I have LX90 GPS and standard ETX with GPS-mate (older technology), but it is always exciting to see the GOTO mechanism calibrating and then "off and running". I have to look mainly South/West and zenith, because of houses and a large redwood tree, which has meant it is virtually impossible to see the Whirlpool Galaxy, but your set-up means that you can go anywhere, outside the city, down the road and within unfamiliar skies let the computer do its thing. I am taking my small ETX to on holiday with some friends and their children, so I hope to use the scope, skies permitting, to create a mini-star party, with the addition of some binoculars and a small 5mw green laser.

#4 tincup01

tincup01

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

One point, it is worth noting, with GOTO scopes, you can sometimes forget that you need to dark adapt you eyes to see faint detail, so although you can find things with the scope in seconds, you still need to have been outside away from bright lights for a good 15-30 minutes before your eyes are approaching maximum efficiency.

#5 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

I don't mean to put a damper on anyone's enthusiasm for the new ETX-LS, however reading that it took 10-15 minutes for it to properly align itself surprises me. I didn't think it would take that long. I guess though, that one could use that time to relax and let your eyes dark adapt.
I've owned a Meade LX90 8" go-to scope for 9 years. Its one without GPS, so the entire alignment procedure is done manually. Pointing at true north (Polaris), leveling the scope, and doing the two-star alignment process. I'm guessing it takes me 5 minutes max to complete. Of course that requires at least a basic knowledge of the alignment stars, something the ETX-LS eliminates.
Sounds like a fun scope, especially useful for beginners.
Have fun with it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics