•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ain't no Unitron - 34mm Observer Satellite Tracker

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this can be called a classic telescope but maybe it's close. I placed a bid on an "Observer Satellite Tracker" on the bay the other day and won it. It's has a 5x eyepiece with a 34mm objective providing a 8* FOV. The eyepiece focuses by push/pull. It has a very clear view. I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, clouds moved in of course.

Posted Image

It is very small, only about 7 1/2" tall from bottom of the base to the top of the eyepiece. The base is only 4" in diameter. The tube length is 5 1/2".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyone have any information on this type of scope? I do have the instruction sheet for this model. There are no dates on the scope or the instruction sheet.

Would this be able to be used to track (find) iridium flares?

peace & clear skies,

#2 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

Nice. I've been on the lookout for one of those satellite scopes for a while now. They are from the late 50's early 60's. They were used in "Operation Moonwatch" a volunteer civilian program to track satellites in the early years after Sputnik.

#3 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

sarastro,

Thanks for the info. I sent a PDF of the instruction sheet to Robert Provin's manual site and he is looking into a firmer date.

It's a solid little scope. Can't wait for a clear night to try it out.

peace & clear skies,

#4 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:39 AM

Nifty little scope. I like it. :cool:

Rich (RLTYS)

#5 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi Rich

Thanks. Here is an image for size comparison.

Posted Image

peace & clear skies,

#6 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:26 AM

Carl

Tiny, have you observed with it yet? I'm curious, can you take a close up of the lettering on the side of the tube?

Rich (RLTYS)

#7 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

Carl

Tiny, have you observed with it yet? I'm curious, can you take a close up of the lettering on the side of the tube?

Rich (RLTYS)

Hi Rich

No I haven't observed with it, clouds and rain since it arrived. Here is a closeup of the writing on the side. BTW, this is the only writing on it. No date stamp on it or the instructions.

Posted Image

peace & clear skies,

#8 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

I love It! :D

#9 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Yes, VERY COOL!

#10 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Richard very cool little scope I have its cousin made by swift. I have never figured out why or how exactly the guys used these things. Maybe the satalites back then were traveling much slower than the ones that scream thru my eyepices!! :foreheadslap:

#11 nykaver

nykaver

Vostok 1

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have the mount (no tube) to one of the Swift satellite scopes gathering dust if anybody needs it. PM me.
paul

#12 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:55 AM

Just below on the page is a thread called 'interesting toy', about more of these scopes.......including a link to an old magazine article so you can build your very own!
R

#13 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

Hi all,

I have had several chances to track the ISS and the shuttle a couple of times with this unit. One thing for certain is the base needs to be attached to something very sturdy in order to track anything. I am planning on using some type of baseboard, similar to the baseboard used for a photo enlarger, to secure the scope base to it and make it as solid as possible.

The scope is no APO but it does provide a decent view for tracking satellites. I find it easier to use binoculars when tracking satellites but this has an air of history attached to it! :)

peace & clear skies,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics