•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Carton 100mm f/13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
534 replies to this topic

#526 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

The white paint is Rustoleum's Specialty Appliance Epoxy. It is quite tough. Takes a while to dry, and cure.
The black paint is Ace Hardware Appliance Epoxy. Also tough, and dries and cures faster than the Rustoleum does.

#527 gelkin

gelkin

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Very nice Doug. Looks like a first class job. Does the Ace appliance epoxy come in a spray can? Hey, happy birthday too !! :rimshot: :banjodance:

#528 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Both type paints are in spray cans, yes.

#529 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Tagged for future reading.

#530 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:36 AM

It took a couple days, but finally finished the thread. Great work guys! Now I have questions.

1. What is the weight of the ota using the aluminum tube?

2. What was the weight of the primary in cell?

3. Would this thing be adequately mounted on my CG4? It has short wooden legs I made, a poplar semi pier, VSPs, and I would likely add guy wires between the tube ends and the counterweight shaft.

4. Was there added cost to getting the focuser anodized in a brass finish?

5. Why was the aluminum part added between the lens cell and the tube?

6. I have been between getting a long achromat and a much shorter fl ED scope and currently am leaning toward the longer fl for SLAP and double star observing. I am just blown away by the lunar photos shared in this thread.

Thanks a bunch guys.

#531 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Dredging up this awesome thread as I am very excited to announce that I purchased a Carton 100/1300 from Sheldon and had it shipped directly to Dan at Crawmach, which I have engaged to build the entire OTA. This project should be underway next week and Dan thinks it may take about 4 weeks to complete.

After much indecision, I think I will be going with a standard classic white/black color scheme. I think it is still early enough in the project to change my mind on this, and am still conflcted. Another color scheme that I have been thinking about is the local University of Memphis Tigers dark royal blue as the main color and medium grey as the secondary color. That would likely catch some eyes at local outreach events!

Whatever color I decide on, I will post pics after it arrives. Thank you to all the earlier participants in this thread for sharing. I can hardly wait for first light!

#532 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hi Ain Soph Aur,

It is great to see this thread revived with the birth of another new 100/1300 Carton! I hope your efforts will prove successful in producing a great telescopic instrument build. I will do my best to follow along. It has been quite a chore to get motivated after past shortfalls in my life. Hopefully following your build as well as getting started on a new build of my own will get my enthusiasm resurrected.

If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to ask here or PM me if you should desire. Also, I am sure there is a number of others serious Carton ATM's that would also avail themselves to help.In any case, your scope is in excellent hands with Dan!

Thanks, Mel

#533 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

I would go with the blue and gray! That's what custom is all about.

Hi Mel. Happy to see you posting a bit lately. Your knowledge and experience is a great asset to the community.

#534 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind words, and right back at cha! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yes, I have been gradually getting back on the astronomical blogs of late. Especially since I am getting started with a new build.

Hey Ain Soph Aur!

I agree with Joe's choice of the blue and gray as well. Some brass colored accessories (such as the focuser knobs) would also set off the color scheme too.

Mel

#535 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Nice scope - and I like the way you mounted it on the wall.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics